Vortex VS Weber Charcoal Baskets

We need rain here, pretty badly. We've not had enough to really settle the dust. Its been a dry winter. And behind my house is a large school yard that is mostly grown up in weeds and has a couple of baseball diamonds with dirt infields, so I battle the dust and weeds, constantly.

I'd even put up with some snow, just to get the moisture ;).

Lynn, your grill is fine! Don’t sweat that kind of stuff, I don’t.
The kettle gets a good cleaning after “ice out” and then I clean the grill table and re oil it for the busy grilling season. Ask Tony UK just how funky my grill can get over the course of the season then another bath in November and put the cover on the side part, the 22 is always accessible!

I don't understand the physics of the Vortex, but then, there's much physics I don't understand :)

Same as I don't get the temp diff between my Maverick and the Tel Tru. I get the same diff on my 18" WSM. I have a Tel Tru mounted in a similar location to the Kettle, just off the top of cooking grate. And the Tel Tru always reads about 20* lower than the Maverick. Sometimes I wonder if heat from the cooking grate does not transfer to the Maverick temp sensor ??? IDK.

But I will continue to use my Vortex to indirect cook wings. On top of the temp diff, it was easier to use than the charcoal baskets.

Waste of money. I have used vortex tech in my Weber rapidfire for years and this "Vortex" just a souped up campstove. I can double their amount of heat in under 10 minutes. Look up Rocket Stove on youtube. You'll see what I mean.

I don't understand the physics of the Vortex, but then, there's much physics I don't understand :)

Same as I don't get the temp diff between my Maverick and the Tel Tru. I get the same diff on my 18" WSM. I have a Tel Tru mounted in a similar location to the Kettle, just off the top of cooking grate. And the Tel Tru always reads about 20* lower than the Maverick. Sometimes I wonder if heat from the cooking grate does not transfer to the Maverick temp sensor ??? IDK.

But I will continue to use my Vortex to indirect cook wings. On top of the temp diff, it was easier to use than the charcoal baskets.

Fully understand, @Lynn Dollar. Hell, I can't even got both sides of my Maverick to read the same sometimes ! ! !

I'm with you on the Vortex, too.

BD

Hey wait a minute...:D

87goBi9h.jpg

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/d/new-in-box-portable-charcoal/6428831839.html

This evening , I used my Vortex to sear a steak. I used Royal Oak lump charcoal. After steak was seared, I put the lid on to finish and I got these temps from my Tel Tru, and it could've gone higher as I needed to lift the lid to check on my steak.

I think next wing cook, I'm gonna try some lump with the Vortex.

And I cleaned the dust off my Kettle the other day, and its aleady back again, exercise in futility.

oJYdFYZ.jpg

I’ll do a “windex” cleaning after the snow stops...maybe in April. Until the weather improves, I just don’t see the point of cleaning and polishing to end up with 6” of snow on the lid.

Back