"Visiting" with an Old Friend - Ramen

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I was looking back over some old threads, and ran across one that was in the "to-do" list from our old friend @Bill Schultz. Back in 2014, Bill shared with us his success at making some authentic ramen in THIS THREAD. I remember thinking at the time Bill posted that this would be an awesome dish to replicate, but I never did. Anyway, as I said, I stumbled over his post recently, and decided I would give it a go.

So, a few days ago, I took a freezer burnt rack of baby backs (poor vacuum seal), and some chicken carcasses to make up a facsimile of a tonkatsu broth. I used the pressure cooker for the broth, starting with some caramelized onions (something I read in the many recipes I looked at), which added some good color and flavor. The broth turned out well, delicate, but flavorful. I have noted that I will try the traditional "boil for hours" method on the stovetop for my next attempt so I can compare.

The next day, I made my soft boiled eggs (6 minutes, then shocked in ice water), and dropped them in a soy/mirin/sake marinade so they could color.

Yesterday, I took a 2lb pork shoulder roast (coppa/money muscle) and dropped it into a soy/mirin/sake/garlic/ginger marinade for a 24 hour soak. First thing this am, I cranked the grill up to 275, boiled the marinade for a bit, then put the pork in to braise on the grill for a while (targeting 175F for sliceable pork.) I only got it to 165F internal before I decided that I really wanted ramen for lunch, so it came off the grill. I got about two cups of broth going in a pot on the stove, and also boiled some water for my noodles. About 10 minutes later, I got my (somewhat basic bowl) assembled, and tucked in......

1612728754374.jpeg

Ok, so I did a horrible job documenting this cook (especially compared to Bill's original post), but I think the final product speaks pretty well for itself. A very tasty bowl of ramen, that could have used some color from thinly sliced radish, and maybe some crunch from some pea shoots......I am pretty happy, though! I've got a couple of quarts of the broth left, so will package that up in 1.75 cup packages for ramen meals on the fly.

This was a fun cook to do, and I enjoyed "visiting" with Bill in the process (Bill, if you're out there, thanks for sharing this with us 7 years ago!) :)

Happy Super Bowl everyone!

R

Very nice looking. IMHO don't bother doing the slow cook bone broth. My wife used to do it all day. Now I do it for 1 1/4 hours in the instant pot. Same thing, a lot quicker, less smell in the house. I may steal your caramelized onion trick though. Never heard that one.

Very nice looking. IMHO don't bother doing the slow cook bone broth. My wife used to do it all day. Now I do it for 1 1/4 hours in the instant pot. Same thing, a lot quicker, less smell in the house. I may steal your caramelized onion trick though. Never heard that one.
I'll probably do it the "old fashioned" way at least once, just to see (I mean, what else do I have to do while I'm hanging out at home?!?!) :) What do you put into the pot with your bones when you make it Joe? I need to boost the broth flavor a bit....

R

Of course we save / freeze all of our chicken bones and parts. We also freeze a bunch of vegetable scraps such as carrot peals, broccoli stems, parts of celery we don't eat. Basically a lot of vegetable scraps. Then when I put everything frozen in the pot I ad an onion cut up and a few garlic cloves with some salt and pepper. When I make soup out of it, I may ad more flavorings as needed. We use the broth for a lot of stuff. We love kasha with brisket and use it for the kasha. I also make vegetable soup and chicken soup with the broth. Parsnips, carrots are used in both along with a whole chicken for chicken soup in the Instant pot. Vegetable soup is done on the stove as it doesn't take very long. In fact I am about to make a veggie soup now out of some broth I did the other day. Also what was fun was making tallow and cracklings from all fat trimmed off of the brisket. I spend way too much time on YouTube, but I do learn a lot of interesting stuff.

Looks spectacular Rich. What a beautifully presented meal and well documented. I'd gladly get in line for a plate of your Ramen.

Looks really tasty!
There’s a lot to be said for a long bone broth cook.

I don’t own a I stay pot but I do have pressure cookers and the Ogallalla cream can.

sure you can throw everything into a pressure device but, you can’t watch and stew over it for hours and add love if needed.

lots of old school stock recipes have you add water, skim off impurities. Wave your hand over the pot to waft the essence into your nostrils allowing you to determine if anything needs to be added.

it’s all about the experience.

I'll probably do it the "old fashioned" way at least once, just to see (I mean, what else do I have to do while I'm hanging out at home?!?!) :) What do you put into the pot with your bones when you make it Joe? I need to boost the broth flavor a bit....

R
I been meaning to come back and tell you that if your broth comes out a little weak, just put in some "better than bullion" and it will be great. I have "cheated" that way. When I need bone broth for a receipt and don't have any I use it.

Back