Fish sauce
Lime juice
Sugar
Black pepper
Granulated garlic
Lots of chili flakes
Ground ginger
Neutral oil

Served with some grilled tomatoes, grilled zukes and some steamed white rice.

Wish me luck. I’m flying blind.

1683858903116.jpeg

1683858919199.jpeg

1683858936469.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a great combo right there! What inspired you to use your vortex?
I wanted the high heat y’all speak about. I’m still not sold. I get crisper skin by doing a skin side sear up-front and then move to indirect to reach temp.

The flavors were delish. The skin needed help. My thighs pull temps were 165° and the three breasts were 152/153°. Let it all rest for 5 mins tented and the chicken was perfect.

I did like the concentrated flame of the vortex. I could see a steak sear on that with good results. Maybe I’ll have to do the chicken thighs like I usually do but with the vortex.

I didn’t see any dial temperature difference with the vortex versus just past CBs. Maybe a vortex really helps a kettle and the WSK is a different beast?

Let’s see what other WSK people say. I’m still trying.

I never had a doubt that this would be those ingredients
Had to be flavorful.
One thing that happened to me is my crisp shin git soft when tented during rest..

I never had a doubt that this would be those ingredients
Had to be flavorful.
One thing that happened to me is my crisp shin git soft when tented during rest..
I pretty much always tent skin on chicken thighs. Mind you it’s a tent, not a wrap so some of the heat can and does escape. Yes, the skin does soften but this cook, the skin never reached that “bacon” status I love. Just never got to that snap phase.

I’ll try this again next time but with a sear upfront to start the render process. Hopefully that’ll get me the desired texture. And next time I will bring up some of my dried Thai chilis for more kick.

These came out good. Just should have salted the chicken first in the marinade stage for better and deeper flavors penetration.

This is a good summer bbq cook for guests served along with cold cukes, marinated veggies and the grilled zukes and tomatoes as I did here.

I have my best luck with crispy thigh skin by letting them ride to about 190 and cracking the lid a bit.
Sometimes I will sear but that is always and adventure!😜

I have my best luck with crispy thigh skin by letting them ride to about 190 and cracking the lid a bit.
Sometimes I will sear but that is always and adventure!😜
If you do the upfront sear, you can pull thighs at 170-180F easily and still have very juicy thighs AND bacon skin. that skin mixed into pollo asado is like crack.

Back