Vietnamese Grilled Pork

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Was inspired by Mildo's post from last week. I had been wanting to try something like this for awhile. Love Southeast Asian flavors...
I had my honeydo list for the day (all simple stuff around the house), so a four hour smoke on the smoker seemed just the thing. I love my "set it and forget it" WSM.
Picked up some cheap "Pork loin bone-in rib ends (for BBQ)" from the local market. I had country style ribs in mind, but they had these, so gave it a go.

Chugging alone by 2PM, with one cherry wood chunk.
photo-8_zps24b0240d.jpg

The cilantro in the marinade made it a little green, but smells great and the green cooks out. (Green marinade on red meat is an odd look. I was initially concerned).
photo_2_zps16d8d9d9.jpg

Small Italian eggplant, split and smeared with a Japanese dengaku inspired paste (miso, sugar, dash of soy, drop or two of sesame oil) went on for the last half hour. The pork was brushed with the marinade every 45 minutes or so. Looking good if I say so myself. Smelled good too.
photo_3_zps4b62b983.jpg

Eggplant ready. Just tender and ready to serve.
photo_4_zps3f8e3311.jpg

Plated with quick pickled carrots and cuke over lettuce and rice noodle with cilantro, jalapeno, mint, scallion (pickled with lime juice, minced garlic, a little sugar, and nuoc mam fish sauce). Eggplant served on the side, along with the rest of the pork.
DSC_0222_zps1d1757a9.jpg

Pork was great. I think I would have preferred country style ribs (which is pork butt/shoulder of course -- fattier/juicier), but my wife enjoyed it, so everyone was happy.
Thanks for visiting. Try the recipe on Mildo's post. A definite keeper.
DSC_0221_zpsea03be87.jpg

Gary! Thanks for sharing. I love your Asian inspired dishes. I saw Mildo's post last week and also wanted to give it a try. Looking forward to posting a similar dish!

awesome Gary! I love how the pork gets all glazed.

Quick pickled carrots...don't you love how invasive momofuku recipes are?

Back