Vieluxe 44 Restoration

R Chin

I finally landed a Vieluxe 44 LPG

Upon inspection I found many deficiencies
All flavorizer bars were crumbling - even the smoke diffusers that run east-west above the main bars
Both igniter banks were not working - button caps were torn and batteries corroded
Thermometer shot
Main burners lit manually but needed cleaning at minimum - crossovers missing or clogged - gas catchers crumbling
Rotisserie burner looked fouled but lit manually and began to burn off buildup
Smoker burner lit manually with igniter in good condition
Side burners lit manually but sliding cover rails needed cleaning and lubrication
Valves modulated properly but need cleaning

Unexpected: included a complete NG manifold - originally purchased as NG by relative but they were unable to maneuver into their backyard so this owner purchased and converted to LPG immediately
Also included 3 Vieluxe igniter kits - modules and push buttons but not electrodes/gas catchers

IMG_1330.jpeg

IMG_7807.jpeg

Grill was just delivered and I have had time to evaluate further

I have been in touch with Dave Santana aka rcplanebuyer for replacement flavorizer bars and smoke diffusers - he can fabricate to match oem
I noticed that the smoke diffuser along the back runs directly over the crossovers so he will extend to completely protect - will not need the channels that are tacked under the flavorizer bars

IMG_7822.jpeg

I also noticed that some of the supports for the flavorizer bars along the front are missing - I’m waiting for a response from Dave but think he can fab something up

IMG_7830.jpeg

The burners seem to be in great condition relative to the flavorizer bars - opposite of what I’ve experienced with my 1st gen Summit 450. On the summit, I’ve gone through 3 sets of burners but still on original flavorizer bars. These Vieluxe burners show surface corrosion but no pitting or scaling like on my summit. Looking through the Vieluxe brochure they highlight SR18 stainless steel burners and I found this info:

Maybe the Vieluxe burners are worthy of unicorn status

Onto the igniters. I cleaned and replaced batteries in the push buttons and was able to light smoker, side burners and rotisserie - the main burners need replacement electrodes. Success but where can I find these replacements - anyone recognize them?

IMG_7837.jpeg

Not sure but I think I've seen these on another Weber product just can't remember what. Actually the collector box looks good. Maybe you can adapt a different electrode?

You got yourself a heap of work there. You have something similar to what I was facing with my Wolf. But if it will be your "keeper". And they're such unicorns I would recommend doing so. That you will be rewarded with a truly quality and unique cooking machine

This was the igniter from the smoker burner. Apparently the previous owner much preferred hot and fast over low and slow

I’m lucky this one is almost perfect so I can try to source 2 new igniters for the main burners - they are pretty much gone

Any help identifying a replacement igniter would be much appreciated

I have Dave giving me estimates for the flavorizer bar cradles and also fabricating a gas catcher similar to oem. I saw someone with a vieluxe use a bare electrode - supposing they arced directly to the burner tube

I bought permatex brake lubricant for valve servicing - it is rated to 3000f

IMG_7826.jpeg

Manifold has more corrosion than I expected. Worthwhile to repaint?

Tomorrow will be valves and drawer slides that are driving me crazy

That is interesting. The "manifold" in that thing is exactly like the one in my Wolf. Just a piece of iron pipe drilled and tapped for the valves. Nothing fancy

I have Dave giving me estimates for the flavorizer bar cradles and also fabricating a gas catcher similar to oem. I saw someone with a vieluxe use a bare electrode - supposing they arced directly to the burner tube
Converting that grill to use bare electrodes such as the ones on the newer genesis grills should be fairly easy. I did it on my personal Genesis grill. It did require two simple spot welds for the little bracket for the electrode to slide into, but otherwise now I don't have to worry about the gas catcher any more.

Most grills, at least to me, would not be worth the cost of custom fabrication, modifying parts and lots of effort this one will require. But this is a Vieluxe, so if you can see it through to completion you will have perhaps the finest grill ever made in the USA. Hang in there @R Chin !

Generally, going through the process of restoring a grill like this don't make a whole lot of sense financially, but it becomes a challenge, and winning that challenge is a very satisfying thing. Besides, R Chin is poised to gain bragging rights in his neighborhood.

Converting that grill to use bare electrodes such as the ones on the newer genesis grills should be fairly easy. I did it on my personal Genesis grill. It did require two simple spot welds for the little bracket for the electrode to slide into, but otherwise now I don't have to worry about the gas catcher any more.
Could you post a pic please?

Those things are so fascinating to me. What did these things cost new? I cant imagine how all of them I seem to see on here got so neglected.

Those things are so fascinating to me. What did these things cost new? I cant imagine how all of them I seem to see on here got so neglected.

*** CODE RED ***
The mounting tabs on two burners broke as I was trying to remove them

IMG_7847.jpeg

IMG_7846.jpeg

Any ideas how to salvage these burners?

I’ll ask Dave if he can McGuyver something to replace tabs as the orifices look pristine…

Nope but IIRC the burners on a gen 1 Summit are the same ones. I know when Jon got my Summit I gave him extras that were in excellent shape. Maybe he can sell you what you might need

Back