Vent Settings on the 18.5 WSM for 250 degrees

KenB

TVWBB Fan
I know there are many variables (weather,wind etc)to temp control, but what vents and settings are most using to maintain 250 degrees w/o a waterpan? My last smoke I only used one lower vent and the exhaust vent and had fairly stable temps but as recommended by most, I would prefer not to use the exhaust vent if possible. I still don't quite understand why the exhaust vent is not supposed to be used, as this vent is what the Big Green Egg uses to control temps. The last cook I did using the exhaust vent didn't result in bitter tasting ribs that are usually what I have heard happens when using the exhaust vent. The ribs did have a stronger smoke taste than usual but I used a more wood chunks than usual.

I think there are too many factors to say there is one tried and true vent setting to maintain 250. Biggest factor you didn't mention is how much charcoal you use to start the fire. I always leave my top vent 100% open but others use it a little. I think most recommend you just don't close it completely. Air is sucked in the lower vents goes over the fire and you need to top vent open to draw that air out. If you close the top vent you stop getting that draw and can taste bad. I thought the BGE had a bottom vent as well? Anyways this is a long drawn out post to say "it depends."

Cooked ribs and used 2/3 full of charcoal and 15 lit coals dumped into a crater in the middle. From what I've read, the BGE does have one bottom vent but the temps are controlled by the top vent.

Last edited:
When you say w/o a waterpan does that mean like a pit barrel smoker with no deflector or an empty foiled pan w/o water?

Tim

You can use the top vent to regulate temp. Many do that all the time no matter what their set up is. Just don't close it for any length of time or you wont get circulation

250 with a foiled water pan is a little more difficult without a heat sink in my backyard. 275 is what my 18.5" likes to settle in with an empty foiled pan.
I'm sure there are all types of possible top vent to bottom vent confiqs to make the same adjustment.
Bottom line use what works for you:wsm:

Tim

what vents and settings are most using to maintain 250 degrees w/o a waterpan? My last smoke I only used one lower vent and the exhaust vent and had fairly stable temps

I start with all vents (top and bottom) open 100%. Then when my temp gets near 200°, I shut down two of the bottom vents. Then I regulate the fire with one bottom vent. For 250°, I'm pretty much same as you - one vent about 2/3rds open and the top vent 100% open. As for using the top vent, go ahead. If you don't notice any difference in taste, then no big deal. I wouldn't think you would. I just leave it open because that's the way I've always done it unless the temp gets away from me and then I'll shut it completely for a few minutes.

250 with a foiled water pan is a little more difficult without a heat sink in my backyard. 275 is what my 18.5" likes to settle in with an empty foiled pan.
I'm sure there are all types of possible top vent to bottom vent confiqs to make the same adjustment.
Bottom line use what works for you:wsm:

Tim

Tim, what are you using as a heat sink and are you using only the bottom vents? I think once this cold snap passes, I will load up the cooker w/o any meat and just play around with the vents to find out what works best. Do all 3 bottom vents need to be open to allow the coals to burn evenly?

I start with all vents (top and bottom) open 100%. Then when my temp gets near 200°, I shut down two of the bottom vents. Then I regulate the fire with one bottom vent. For 250°, I'm pretty much same as you - one vent about 2/3rds open and the top vent 100% open. As for using the top vent, go ahead. If you don't notice any difference in taste, then no big deal. I wouldn't think you would. I just leave it open because that's the way I've always done it unless the temp gets away from me and then I'll shut it completely for a few minutes.

Jerry, do you use an empty waterpan?

I use an empty water pan all of the time with no heat sink. I do ribs and Boston Butts at 275 degrees. I, like the gentleman above, on the 18.5 WSM run with vents wide open until the grate temperature hits 200 then I close down two bottom vents to "creep up" on my desired 275 degree temps. I partially close the third vent. I seldom bother closing the top vent and NEVER (I SAY NEVER) close the top vent more than 50% as that can produce creosote from lack of ventilation.

I use a slightly different method with the 14.5 WSM and the Mini-Joe. They respond differently than the larger smoker. I wait until the smaller smokers get up to desired temperature before closing down the vents to maintain my preferred temps.

The larger smoker can "run away" if I don't start closing down as I approach my desired temp. The smaller smokers do not do that (they are slower to respond) and benefit from bringing up to temps.

YMMV
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Tim, what are you using as a heat sink and are you using only the bottom vents? I think once this cold snap passes, I will load up the cooker w/o any meat and just play around with the vents to find out what works best. Do all 3 bottom vents need to be open to allow the coals to burn evenly?

I rarely run below 275 so no HS needed, but if I needed to stay @ 250 I'd use my old clay saucer, water for 225.
I'm an adjuster of all three unless it's breezy on one side than I'll partially or almost close that one vent.
The only time I partially close the top vent is when I get a big temp spike, and that can happen at high heat if you have the lid off for too long.

Tim

The responses on the 18" WSM temp control are interesting.
I am kinda surprised it is difficult to hold temp at 250 or less.
I have the 22" WSM and with a full load of KBB, center minion start up, dry foiled water pan, top vent 100% open and one intake open a crack it will pretty much chug along at 235 overnight for up to 16 hours.
That is calm wind and 40 degree or greater low temp conditions.
Do the 18" WSMs put the fire out if all the vents are closed?

The responses on the 18" WSM temp control are interesting.
I am kinda surprised it is difficult to hold temp at 250 or less.
Do the 18" WSMs put the fire out if all the vents are closed?

Yes on putting out the coals.Some of us have the older 18.5" Wsm's that don't have a Weber lid mounted therm which has been reported to read quite lower than actual grate temp.
I only temp at the top vent with a turkey fryer therm, that usually runs 12-15 deg higher than top grate.

Tim

To the question about even burning, I did a brisket and pork butt cook last weekend and used 2 vents because i was using my shelter and the back vent is hard to get at. I did notice that the ash built up on the side nearest to the air vents and almost reached the grate even though towards the end I pushed the coals into a pile away from the open vents to add more coals.

Back