Venison shoulder, what to do and how to do it?

Tim Murphy

TVWBB Fan
Dear Board,

A buddy at work is off to great deer season. Yesterday he asked me if I wanted some venison? I said sure I'll figure something to do with whatever you bring me.

Well today he called me out to this truck in the parking lot and proceeded to give me a cooler filled with about 25 pounds of vacuum packed fresh venison. I got several packs of steaks, and two tenderloins. I know what I want to do with them.

I also got 2 venison shoulder roasts that go about 5 or so pounds a piece and I don't know what to do with them? I'd like to smoke them but when I Google recipes for smoked venison shoulder I get conflicting stories about whether they should be brined or whether they should be bled? Then they start debating on the actual smoking and finally they debate what temp and how long?

I have an idea in mind to do one on my own with no direction other than following directions I've used for a pork shoulder. I have an electric smoker that I bought earlier this summer that has done a fantastic job on various pork products, chicken, and more than a couple London broils. I'll use the same smoker for the venison shoulder. A want to try a simple rub with some olive oil on the venison because of how lean it is. I figure I'll do it at 225 F for a couple of hours and pull it before it gets past 145 F. My goal is to possibly have some venison BBQ, but if all I get out of it is meat I cut off to use in chili or stew I'll be OK with that.

So with that idea in mind here are my questions. Does venison need to be brined prior to smoking? If so can you suggest a brine? All I've ever brined has been in the Weber Grills Big Time turkey recipe brine, and that always works out perfectly. Am I on track with my smoking temperature and the temperature for pulling the roast? Is there a preferred wood for smoke or any to avoid? I was thinking of apple because I like it with pork but maybe it's bad medicine for venison? Lastly, does anyone have a foolproof recipe I can use, or do any of you have any suggestions for what to do, or any warnings about things I need to be careful with when smoking venison?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :D

Tim,
A friend of mine also got lucky this year. He called yesterday and asked me to smoke a venison roast. I told him I didn't know how as I'd never done one before. So, I did some research and found this: http://furiousgrill.com/smoking-deer-meat/. It suggests brining as well as a few other references. I plan on brining my roast for the 12-24 hour suggestion and then smoke it. I hope it turns out well as I will be feeding 10-12 people.

Good luck on your cook!

Dear Barry,

Thanks for this. I am pretty much sure I'll make some sort of brine. I will probably wing the rest and see where it goes. Worse case scenario is that my dog will love me more than ever for his feast. Good luck with your cook!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

6 hours in the WSM

IMG_20171022_125959540.jpg

rolled into burrito
IMG_20171022_135454412.jpg

did these last weekend Just some salt & pepper internal temp was @ 190 when pulled

I've been convinced to give it a try

6 hours in the WSM

IMG_20171022_125959540.jpg

rolled into burrito
IMG_20171022_135454412.jpg

did these last weekend Just some salt & pepper internal temp was @ 190 when pulled

Dear Dan,

Those burritos look great. I'd make them but my wife hates flour tortillas and just about anything with a doughy consistency.

Did you foil the shoulder or take it to finish by itself? Did you brine it beforehand or oil it or wrap it bacon? It doesn't look like you did but I'd like to sure ahead of time. Also, what wood did you use for your smoke?

And Chris,

Thank you for finding old threads for me. I'll readily admit that I don't usually use the search function on any message board I visit. I'm thinking I should?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Gee I was in Pittsburgh yesterday, I should have looked here sooner! Would have made a nice lunch on my way back to Michigan! Would have beaten the socks of the Panera chicken sandwich I just had!

Hey Tim
The shoulders came from a yearling Pa. whitetail so they were small and tender. I did coat with EVOO before shaking on salt and white pepper. There was no Bacon or wrap to finish. The smoke wood was Pecan. As a rule I keep the cooking process as simple as possible adding different things after the cook. My wife had hers on a whole wheat bun and took some to work to share. I also put the burrito in my Cuisanart griddler to firm it up top and bottom so it's not as doughy.

I'll readily admit that I don't usually use the search function on any message board I visit. I'm thinking I should?
Well, we've got some good information in past threads...it just a matter of finding them. :D This one was pretty easy by just searching for "venison shoulder". In fact, I found a few more links and added them to the list above.

Shoulders are simple, don't over think it.
You could dry brine or not, I usually just rub salt, pepper, and garlic powder, smoke it to 140, it will be pink inside, freaks some people out but it' done.
Slice and eat.
It's not going to pull, and cooking to a much higher temp will give you tough, dry, livery meat.

It's on and either the Mrs and I, or the dog will be happy later

Shoulders are simple, don't over think it.
You could dry brine or not, I usually just rub salt, pepper, and garlic powder, smoke it to 140, it will be pink inside, freaks some people out but it' done.
Slice and eat.
It's not going to pull, and cooking to a much higher temp will give you tough, dry, livery meat.

Dear George,

I'm glad I read your post because I just put the shoulder on at 225 F. I did brine it overnight and rubbed it with some olive oil and then seasoned it with a spice blend a family member makes along with some peppercorn rub. I was debating how long to cook it and I think I will take it off at 140 F - 145 F and see what I get? I've never overcooked venison or elk, and I'm not about to start. If this way doesn't work I have another shoulder for later.

Best case is the wife and I get a pleasant surprise. The worst case is I ruin it and our dog will eat well.

Either way someone will win!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Our Son Brandon got two last year so we did one indirect on the kettle, and one in the WSM.
He did a mari-brine on both, and cooked them like Geo to 140 ish.
Both came out excellent with no gamey taste, similar to a beef tenderloin, very mild.
We used JD whiskey barrel chunks for smoke and RO lump for fuel.

Tim

I'm feeling better about this!

Our Son Brandon got two last year so we did one indirect on the kettle, and one in the WSM.
He did a mari-brine on both, and cooked them like Geo to 140 ish.
Both came out excellent with no gamey taste, similar to a beef tenderloin, very mild.
We used JD whiskey barrel chunks for smoke and RO lump for fuel.

Tim

Dear Tim,

You have a fine first name! ;)

I am doing mine in an electric smoker. I know I'm not supposed to say that here but I wanted to really get a handle on smoking things before I went all in and got a WSM.

I marinated it in an apple juice Kosher salt and herb and spice concoction and I am using apple chips for the smoke.

I'll stick to what you and George recommend and I think I'll have a disappointed dog but a happy wife!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Hey that's cool! If you don't mind me asking what brand of lectric smoker are you using. Reason I ask is Brandon is down in Arkansas on a hunting trip, and he is thinking on getting one for jerky and venison sticks, sausage etc.

Tim

I have a buddy who fills his tag, wife’s tag, daughter, daughter in law, brother cousin and, if I got one, my tag!
So, from time to time I get some nicely trimmed fine venison, the last was a yearling hind quarter which was braised. It was a crowd pleasing venison curry to feed a dozen guests! Delightful but, not treated to the tender mercies of the kettle or the WSM. Maybe this season?

The end result

Dear Board,

So I marinated the shoulder in an apple juice brine over night for about 18 hours.

I smoked it for about 7 hours at 225F using apple wood chips until it got to 180F and pulled it off and foiled it.

To be completely honest I was really scared about doing a venison shoulder. People made it sound impossible. Having done one, I can say that anyone who screws one up is lucky if they can microwave mac-n-cheese in a cup. It was easily the simplest smoke I have ever done.

It was literally set it and forget it!

The start

Deer shoulder 001 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

The finish

Deer shoulder 005 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

The dog's leavings - Boy is he ever ****ed this worked out for us!

Deer shoulder 004 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

Regards,

Tim Murphy

[QUOTEI have a buddy who fills his tag, wife’s tag, daughter, daughter in law, brother cousin and, if I got one, my tag!][/QUOTE]
Sportsmen call that Poaching

I call it better him actually bagging the deer than me maiming it.
This guy is a serious responsible hunter and does not waste the kill! In my wildest dream I would never think of calling him a poacher!
I don’t hunt but, love receiving the fruits of his talent. He has never let me buy a tag to let him get me a deer. If his wife does not go and he has the opportunity to fill her tag, she’d prefer a few hours at the mall anyway.
No reason for name calling is there?

Last edited:

Back