Using zip loc bags with Foodsaver ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I put a 10# double smoked ham in zip loc bags, one pound per bag. Put them in the freezer to get ready to vac seal.

Is it possible to cut off the " zipper " on the bags and seal them with the Foodsaver ? They're a bit thicker than the bags I normally use for vac sealing. Doing this would eliminate a step.

Don't know how well that would work, I would think the plastic would just melt and not seal.
What I do is I make a food saver bag and put whatever I'm freezing in the bag and put it in the freezer over night and then seal it in the morning. If it's a liquid such as soup I put the freezer bag in a bowl to freeze it to keep it upright. Works very well.

Mrs Dollar seals all sorts of stuff with the Foodsaver, chip bags, brown sugar bag, etc.

I had not thought about putting unsealed bags in the freezer.

Yes you can. I've done it with zip loc freezer bags. Just cut right below the zip seal.

Yes you can. I've done it with zip loc freezer bags. Just cut right below the zip seal.

That's what I needed to know before I tried this. I wanted to hear from others to make sure it would not make a mess or ruin my machine.

But I also like the idea of using the Foodsaver bags from the get-go.

It might work, but without the vacuum channels that the usual vacuum media has, I'd expect an incomplete vacuum. I also would bet that the zipper bags are a different, softer, material than vacuum bags, you might want to turn the sealer heat/time down a bit.

For what I'm paying for both zipper and vacuum bags, I'll stock both. Different purposes.

I have seen this done on YouTube but honestly the actual FS bags are not cost prohibitive to keep me from using them

I have seen this done on YouTube but honestly the actual FS bags are not cost prohibitive to keep me from using them

Its not the cost, its saving a step.

I like Rich's idea of using a Foodsaver bag from the get-go. But that does not fit Mrs Dollar's and my Modus Operandi. We're guilty of putting meat to be food saved in the freezer and then forgetting about it for a few days :oops:

Since you already have it in a zip loc bag, you could put it in a bowl or pot of water and let the water displace the air.
I do that for soups or stews .

Back