Using the 22.5"wsm like a stick burner.

S.Six

TVWBB All-Star
I don't have a offset smoker and have always wanted to try smoking over wood. So i tried this method with pizza and it works great so I thought why not with ribs?
So here's the set up: BB ribs with Bad Byron's Butt Rub, drip pan underneath, and I used pecan wood for smoke/fuel.

Was going for 300-350°. Once the temp got to 300° i added one or two more chunks. Was pretty simple to manage the fire. Here we are after 3hrs 25mins.

Put some bbq sauce on and another 5mins.

I had the water pan removed cuz I thought that it might give me better air flow that way. The ribs came out very good, a tad on the dry side but not bad.
All in all it was a fun experience and as it type I'm cooking some chicken the same way. Give it a shot, and thanks for looking! See you next cook!
All most forgot! Here's a video of the cook.
http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/smsix9/media/20150706_173645_zps3hdbecjl.mp4.html

Last edited:
yeah. good stuff ! I have often wondered about using wood in the WSM...just never had the Juevos to do it. good on ya !

Plus it must be easier to have fire in the 22" vs the 18.5". Lots more room for fire.

I am assuming you also had to manage the fire more often charcoal?

One more step...take out the pan and let the meat drip on the coals and you will have a large Pit Barrel Cooker.

Back