Using Non-Stick Cooking Spray for Grilling & Barbecuing

Unfortunately those products have propane in them as part of the propellants. And canola oil which isn’t that healthy of an oil.

You can use cooking olive oil (it’s been heat treated to use in cooking) and a silicone brush to apply the oil to your meat(s) and have a healthier option and produce less garbage waste.

Do you like your manual pump?

Can you share which one please?
I have the EVOO brand, there are 2 sizes. I have 1 of each size and for some reason the larger one sprays better. I use the small one for my extra virgin olive oil and the large one for avocado oil for high temp use.

To each his/her own, but I would not be interested it spraying my food with that spray. I typically oil my food with evoo before I put any spices/rub on it and then I oil my grates. I have the stainless steel bars for grates. After I heat the grill, I scrape them clean and then I use an oil soaked paper towel to oil the grates. This works well for me. The other thing to keep food from sticking is to leave it alone. There’s a point in most cooks where the food releases. Try to flip a burger too soon and it will indeed stick. Wait until it releases and your good to go.

Last edited:
I friend gave me a “Misto” manual pump up sprayer, I now have three! One of the best kitchen gadgets ever! I have several aerosol sprays as well, I like the avocado oil quite a bit.

FWIW if you spray fat (no matter what type) regardless of whether or not there is flammable propellant you will get a fireball if you spray it into/onto a lit grill. It's the same reason you can take old fryer fats and literally filter out the big chunk, pour that into an old mechanical injected diesel engine and it will run just fine (as long as it's not cold outside) otherwise it will congeal and not flow.

I tried the duck fat, it’s pretty good, the stuff Bruno posted is sitting in my cupboard un opened yet.
Once again, Larry speaks the simple truth! Any fat which becomes atomized, REGARDLESS of propellant, will create a fireball! Simple chemistry, fat burns, the smaller the droplet, the bigger the ball.
Thanks for that reminder lesson Larry.

I tried the duck fat, it’s pretty good, the stuff Bruno posted is sitting in my cupboard un opened yet.
Once again, Larry speaks the simple truth! Any fat which becomes atomized, REGARDLESS of propellant, will create a fireball! Simple chemistry, fat burns, the smaller the droplet, the bigger the ball.
Thanks for that reminder lesson Larry.
Lets just say I knew this all along but it took me actually "doing it" to realize just how true it is. Sometimes ya just gotta "try" :D

I use EVO 16 oz spray bottles. Blue one for avocado oil (COSTCO) and a red one for general purpose.
while I agree with Chris about the cooking spray, I move to the the EVO bottles as I had build up problems with the spray (PAM, and Raleys). I will point out that there was a bit of a learning curve to the spray bottles.

1659719080402.png

Back