Using Aaron Franklin's Method for Brisket

I just got a generic wire cookie grate from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Next time, I'll probably use some rolled aluminum foil under the legs to adjust the height a little. On liquid, I used equal parts beef broth, apple juice, and apple cider vinegar. I'm not convinced that the liquids imparted any flavor to it so may try water next time (maybe with a few herbs thrown in just in case).

I've only done this method once, after Noe suggested it (Thank you, Noe!), so I'd be curious to see whether Noe or some of you other more experienced folks have experimented with different liquids.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to Walmart so I will see what they have as far as grates go.

Wayne

Brisket done at 185F sounds odd to me. I usually get resistance well into the 190s. I foil around 170F to help with the stall, cook until tender (usually 200+) then let it sit all the way back to around 160F or dinner in a towel in a cooler. When I unfoil, there's very little juice left. Next cook, I'm going to double the liquid I foil with just to see how much the brisket re-absorbs. This has worked well so far.

10250208_10152335984136294_1857070840420931093_n.jpg

Brisket done at 185F sounds odd to me. I usually get resistance well into the 190s. I foil around 170F to help with the stall, cook until tender (usually 200+) then let it sit all the way back to around 160F or dinner in a towel in a cooler. When I unfoil, there's very little juice left. Next cook, I'm going to double the liquid I foil with just to see how much the brisket re-absorbs. This has worked well so far.

10250208_10152335984136294_1857070840420931093_n.jpg

Although tender at 185 would be odd, no foiling and low cooking temps means a lower IT when tender, most often about 190.

Thanks for your observations about your brisket holding when done. How much are you letting it rest unfoiled before wrapping back up to hold after the cook? I wonder why briskets reabsorb liquid but butts don't.

Hey Dave. I don't unfoil the brisket for a rest after I pull it off. I take it directly from the cooker to the cooler in a towel. I use my Maverick to monitor the temp on the way down.

Do you unfoil/unwrap to rest (if you wrap)? If you don't wrap, do you hold the meat or are you always ready to serve once done? I can't master that timing.

Hey Dave. I don't unfoil the brisket for a rest after I pull it off. I take it directly from the cooker to the cooler in a towel. I use my Maverick to monitor the temp on the way down.

Do you unfoil/unwrap to rest (if you wrap)? If you don't wrap, do you hold the meat or are you always ready to serve once done? I can't master that timing.

I wrap with butcher paper. After it's done I let it rest unwrapped to lose it's steam before wrapping back up and holding hot till serving. I haven't always done that, but it's to help make sure that the brisket doesn't overcook before slicing.

I just got a generic wire cookie grate from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Next time, I'll probably use some rolled aluminum foil under the legs to adjust the height a little. On liquid, I used equal parts beef broth, apple juice, and apple cider vinegar. I'm not convinced that the liquids imparted any flavor to it so may try water next time (maybe with a few herbs thrown in just in case).

I've only done this method once, after Noe suggested it (Thank you, Noe!), so I'd be curious to see whether Noe or some of you other more experienced folks have experimented with different liquids.

Mark the liquid does not add any flavor to the meat its just to keep the bark from getting over done. I normally use 1 bottle of italian dressing and whatever beer i am drinking. I do add a lot of vidalia onions to the liquid.

Noe, that is an interesting technique. Please share what temp or method you use for doneness......target temp or probe? Do you wrap during rest or use a cooler? Thanks for sharing this.

Dave, I just really started hearing about unwrapping and re-wrapping recently. I think Franklin must have started a trend. I'd honestly give my brisket a 7/10 at best and the issue I have is lack of moisture. My question is, if it's wrapped tight in foil and it overcooks during holding, where does that moisture go when I unwrap with next to no juice left? I understand that the foil isn't airtight but it has to hold in most of the moisture.

Regardless, I'm hoping to do 5 briskets this summer and 1 is done. My takeaway from the first is injecting straight beef broth. Next I'm going to tackle rub.

Cheers!

Last night we finished the final few slices of the most recent brisket I cooked a lá Franklin. I gotta say, salt and pepper rub, 250°, water in the pan and wrap in butcher paper when the color looks right is a sure winner. I couldn't get an Angus, but started with a 17-lb choice and trimmed all the thick fat to 1/4". I noticed that one end of a finished slice was more tender and "stretchy" than the other, which I think reflects the difference in marbling. The point was outrageously marbled and outrageously tasty -- I almost fell into a burnt-end coma. After quite a few cooks, I'm thinking that about half of the success is in the cut of meat and the other half is in how well you cook it. The other half is luck.

Jeff

A few questions. What does butcher paper do that foil doesn't? (It's funny, I've been reading this site for over 10 years. Everyone made great brisket using the recipes & techniques discussed way back then. All of a sudden, you need paper instead of foil and no water in the pan. It's funny, isn't it?)

Since the water evaporates out of my pan on every smoke, I'm pretty sure that the fat accumulation in the pan doesn't prevent the moisture from getting out. Whether the moisture does anything, I don't know. :confused:

ETA: People also used to rave about briskets in cryovac from Costco. Have we now moved over to thinking that brisket has to come from expensive providers? Even if the meat will be injected, rubbed and smoked?

A few questions. What does butcher paper do that foil doesn't? (It's funny, I've been reading this site for over 10 years. Everyone made great brisket using the recipes & techniques discussed way back then. All of a sudden, you need paper instead of foil and no water in the pan. It's funny, isn't it?)

Since the water evaporates out of my pan on every smoke, I'm pretty sure that the fat accumulation in the pan doesn't prevent the moisture from getting out. Whether the moisture does anything, I don't know. :confused:

ETA: People also used to rave about briskets in cryovac from Costco. Have we now moved over to thinking that brisket has to come from expensive providers? Even if the meat will be injected, rubbed and smoked?

Regarding foil wrapping, I simply like the taste and texture of the bark better when I wrap with butcher paper. It breathes.

I like water in the pan and still use it for a lot of other cooks. However, almost like foil/paper, I like the brisket bark better without it, and being able to cook much faster. I use less charcoal, as well; significantly less on the big 22" wsm.

I can't afford anything other than regular commodity beef, but there's better beef I'm sure.

Sorry but the butcher paper doesn't breathe you just can't seal it up right like with foil so moisture actually escapes and the butcher paper actually soaks up some of the juices that collect in the wrapping that I like to keep it's just like you said another method that's big but produces same brisket as before

Mache if you want to cook the ultimate brisket its not hard, Take the largest roaster pan you can fit on the top grate of your WSM, set the wire rack inside the roaster pan, add 1"-2" of liquid in the pan, place your rubbed brisket inside the roaster pan fat side up the pan will protect the meat from the direct heat and the fat cap will protect the brisket from the top, cook brisket @ 275+ till done. No need to foil or butcher paper, guaranteed your brisket will be just as good if not better than Franklin's. Make sure the original water pan is removed during this cook.

Interesting method.

How are you checking for done? Poking or using internal temperature? If you're using internal temperature, what kind of temperature are you looking for when using your method?

Also, do you keep adding liquid as it evaporates to maintain 1-2" in the pan?

Interesting method.

How are you checking for done? Poking or using internal temperature? If you're using internal temperature, what kind of temperature are you looking for when using your method?

Also, do you keep adding liquid as it evaporates to maintain 1-2" in the pan?

It takes some practice, but you can tell when a brisket is done by feel. I have been learning to do this and have been pretty successful. You just have to bite the bullet and start giving it a try.

Back