Used the Q with those stainless grates again

Grill marks can't be all bad. If you see advertisements, they almost always show some well defined grill marks on their steaks and other meats.
If you go to a restaurant, they will many times try to present a steak with the grill marks as well. So, obviously for some, the presentation is worth more that for others.

Here is an advertisement photo for Outback Steak Houses. Seems they value the well defined grill marks.

Outback Steakhouse steak.jpg

But you're reinforcing my point. They're eye candy. Yeah they look nice, but blindfolded you'll pick the steak with the nice crust over the lines every time. Honestly I think these things strike a pretty decent balance. Given the right technique and some patience they will produce lines but not the sharply defined lines we typically call "grill marks"

Right Larry. They are playing to the eye candy crowd which in reality 90% of the population. Only experienced and dedicated grillers would realize the difference that the overall crust would bring vs the grill marks. And unless they get a sample of each in the restaurant, they really won't be able to differentiate.
The eye candy picture will bring those 90% better than the picture of the steak that looks "Burnt".

Yep everyone I entertain wows at the Grill Marks my Summit Gas creates. And it honestly makes them think the steak tastes better that way.

But you're reinforcing my point. They're eye candy. Yeah they look nice, but blindfolded you'll pick the steak with the nice crust over the lines every time. Honestly I think these things strike a pretty decent balance. Given the right technique and some patience they will produce lines but not the sharply defined lines we typically call "grill marks"

Yes, I don’t see how you could do much better at that compromise than the catfish filets you posted. I am not sure, in fact, that you could do as well using cast iron, stainless rods, or - oh my - GrillGrates! I will be interested in seeing more, Larry, as you keep experimenting with them on other foods. Right now this “flat” type stainless looks to me to be hard to beat for fish and also asparagus as Bruce showed.

Grill marks can't be all bad. If you see advertisements, they almost always show some well defined grill marks on their steaks and other meats.
If you go to a restaurant, they will many times try to present a steak with the grill marks as well. So, obviously for some, the presentation is worth more that for others.

Here is an advertisement photo for Outback Steak Houses. Seems they value the well defined grill marks.

View attachment 17968

I certainly wouldn’t be ashamed to bring in steaks that looked like that! One thing that helps is the use of seasoning. While even more “crust” would be better, the steak in that picture at least has at least some from the caramelized seasoning. Looks really good to me.

View attachment 17968

Lol they're totally going for the eye candy crowd that doesn't know what actually tastes better. That ribeye is cut from the chewy end of a prime rib too.

Did a nice pork chop on them again last night. Chop was juicy, had a wonderful "crust" as well. More I use them more I think these things are "da bomb" and so easy to clean. Just scrape them20201124_174037.jpg

Yep, I wish I had bought a couple more sets when they were on sale. Like you, I REALLY like them.
But, if I buy more, it will have to be for my Q1xx and maybe a Q3xx. I don't expect to have to replace the ones on my Q200 for a Looong time.

Here's the crosshatch design for the Q300/32000 at a pretty strong price:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXF7MYB/?tag=tvwb-20

You could buy one new one and one "used" one for a little over $50 total. My experience to date with Amazon "used" is that they are returns that have never been used. One I got still had the form inside from the store that does Amazon returns.
Thanks Jon - I just scored one for about $14. I will have to to some a/b comparisons since I will only have 1. I will be on the lookout for a second one to have a matched pair. The funny thing is I have restored about a dozen Qs and have always been able to restore the grates with a lot of scraping, chipping and re-seasoning. I use the 320 as my gasser and love how it cooks and cleans up.

Joe,
I think a number of us would like to see some side-by-side cooking examples with one of those stainless grates on one side and a conventional cast iron grate on the other side.

Ok So I just cooked 2 very similar steaks with the Stanbroil Stainless Steel Diamond Pattern Casting Cooking Grate the Jon Tofte linked to and I got what appears to be the last one for about $14. It seems to be very nice quality and very thick stainless. Since I only had 1 it was an easy A/B comparison with some temps and observations. The most surprising thing to me was the difference in temperatures of the grate. At some points the SS grate was more than 100 degrees cooler than the cast iron. Both steaks came out quite nicely and I am glad that the SS will supposedly never rust but it will never be nice and shiny again. Pics below.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 29
Joe,
That is somewhat surprising. I could see the cast iron getting hot faster, but, if anything, I would have thought that flatter stainless might have gotten hotter. Goes back to what Larry has said a number of times - correctly I believe - about the Q design. The thick cast iron grates are actually an important part of the overall design, radiating additional heat. That said, what you and Larry have posted shows excellent results with those Stanbroil stainless grates. Different designs but similar construction. It wouldn't bother me about the seasoned look, but I would have hoped the crosshatch grill marks would have been more pronounced. But, as has been said here already, that is just eye candy. Steaks looked like they turned out just fine!

Joe,
That is somewhat surprising. I could see the cast iron getting hot faster, but, if anything, I would have thought that flatter stainless might have gotten hotter. Goes back to what Larry has said a number of times - correctly I believe - about the Q design. The thick cast iron grates are actually an important part of the overall design, radiating additional heat. That said, what you and Larry have posted shows excellent results with those Stanbroil stainless grates. Different designs but similar construction. It wouldn't bother me about the seasoned look, but I would have hoped the crosshatch grill marks would have been more pronounced. But, as has been said here already, that is just eye candy. Steaks looked like they turned out just fine!
I think your correct about the CI absorbing and retaining the heat. I will reverse the side of the grill that the grates are on and do some more testing, but on a plus side the grate temps of the SS are much closer to the temps on the lid thermometer. I purchased a heritage chicken and plan on roasting it on the q soon. With the cold, rain, snow, the Q with the drop down shelves fit nicely on our little screened in porch and keeps me grilling in the winter. I was actually thinking of getting a Weber G0-Anywhere charcoal grill as I can't believe how many mods people have made for it, but haven't seen any used or free yet. Maybe I should try and squeeze my kettle on the porch till it warms up.

Actually the grates cannot radiate anymore heat than they're given. If the lid is left shut, the grill is going to stabilize at whatever max temp it can achieve. It's physics. Just because a grate is cast iron it cannot make the grill any hotter than the amount of heat it's given. Now I am sure the CI can hold more heat (kind of like a bigger battery can hold more reserve electricity but not any more volts). So if you open that lid the CI will stay at the hotter temp longer than the lighter and less dense stainless one. but CI does not magically "make" more heat. It's just a better (bigger) battery

Yes, that is the way I see the differences as well. In addition, while the SS grates will radiate the heat quicker, they will also heat up quicker which would result in a quicker rise from off to max temp on the grill. For those that don't feel the need to open the grill every three minutes, this is probably a benefit.

Last edited:

Back