Used the Q with those stainless grates again

Bruce

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Grill marks can't be all bad. If you see advertisements, they almost always show some well defined grill marks on their steaks and other meats.
If you go to a restaurant, they will many times try to present a steak with the grill marks as well. So, obviously for some, the presentation is worth more that for others.

Here is an advertisement photo for Outback Steak Houses. Seems they value the well defined grill marks.

Outback Steakhouse steak.jpg

LMichaels

TVWBB Olympian
But you're reinforcing my point. They're eye candy. Yeah they look nice, but blindfolded you'll pick the steak with the nice crust over the lines every time. Honestly I think these things strike a pretty decent balance. Given the right technique and some patience they will produce lines but not the sharply defined lines we typically call "grill marks"

Bruce

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Right Larry. They are playing to the eye candy crowd which in reality 90% of the population. Only experienced and dedicated grillers would realize the difference that the overall crust would bring vs the grill marks. And unless they get a sample of each in the restaurant, they really won't be able to differentiate.
The eye candy picture will bring those 90% better than the picture of the steak that looks "Burnt".

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
Yep everyone I entertain wows at the Grill Marks my Summit Gas creates. And it honestly makes them think the steak tastes better that way.

Jon Tofte

TVWBB Hall of Fame
But you're reinforcing my point. They're eye candy. Yeah they look nice, but blindfolded you'll pick the steak with the nice crust over the lines every time. Honestly I think these things strike a pretty decent balance. Given the right technique and some patience they will produce lines but not the sharply defined lines we typically call "grill marks"

Yes, I don’t see how you could do much better at that compromise than the catfish filets you posted. I am not sure, in fact, that you could do as well using cast iron, stainless rods, or - oh my - GrillGrates! I will be interested in seeing more, Larry, as you keep experimenting with them on other foods. Right now this “flat” type stainless looks to me to be hard to beat for fish and also asparagus as Bruce showed.

Jon Tofte

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Grill marks can't be all bad. If you see advertisements, they almost always show some well defined grill marks on their steaks and other meats.
If you go to a restaurant, they will many times try to present a steak with the grill marks as well. So, obviously for some, the presentation is worth more that for others.

Here is an advertisement photo for Outback Steak Houses. Seems they value the well defined grill marks.

View attachment 17968

I certainly wouldn’t be ashamed to bring in steaks that looked like that! One thing that helps is the use of seasoning. While even more “crust” would be better, the steak in that picture at least has at least some from the caramelized seasoning. Looks really good to me.

A Lee

TVWBB Member

View attachment 17968

Lol they're totally going for the eye candy crowd that doesn't know what actually tastes better. That ribeye is cut from the chewy end of a prime rib too.

LMichaels

TVWBB Olympian
Did a nice pork chop on them again last night. Chop was juicy, had a wonderful "crust" as well. More I use them more I think these things are "da bomb" and so easy to clean. Just scrape them20201124_174037.jpg

Bruce

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Yep, I wish I had bought a couple more sets when they were on sale. Like you, I REALLY like them.
But, if I buy more, it will have to be for my Q1xx and maybe a Q3xx. I don't expect to have to replace the ones on my Q200 for a Looong time.