Used performer ignitor

Phil V

TVWBB Member
Hi all!

I bought a never used , used performer. I cleaned it up and am happy with it - the exception is the ignitor.

The ignitor won't fire. The gas hisses, but no ignition when I hit he red button.

Any ideas?

It was left in the elements without a cover -
Does it just need to dry?

Please help!

Did you check for spark? Did you clean the tip area (where the spark comes out)?

I looked for a spark, but nothing came out. Also when I supplied the gas, and hit the red button nothing happened. I asummed if there was any spark, it would have caused some combustion.

I will try cleaning the tip - where should I look for it?

My plan b was to call weber and ask for a replacement ignition kit...but I would rather fix this one first...

Thanks for the response!

I looked for a spark, but nothing came out. Also when I supplied the gas, and hit the red button nothing happened. I asummed if there was any spark, it would have caused some combustion.

I will try cleaning the tip - where should I look for it?

My plan b was to call weber and ask for a replacement ignition kit...but I would rather fix this one first...

Thanks for the response!

I assume you hear an audible click when you press the button?
Reason I ask is because I had a sticky button causing it not to spark. My problem was resolved by simply loosening the nut on the button shank.

So I cleaned the gas "tube" and can now see a spark. I thought that was the problem, but it wasn't...there is still no flame occurring when I press the ignotor button, and the gas is on.

I bought a BBQ lighter for now as it's no fun working in the winter snow...

Is it worth calling weber for some help?

I purchased the entire kit a few years ago. It included the burner, and the full igniter. There is not much else that can go wrong. :)

OK Phil, I'm glad you mentioned this because everyone else on here probably thought I was crazy when I had this problem with mine. I called Weber and they were no help either.
I got a big beautiful spark, plenty of gas flow, but the spark wouldn't light the gas.
All I can tell you is to keep trying. After lighting mine manually for a year or two, I tried the button again and, viola, it lit! Now I use the button every time, but sometimes it takes one push, sometimes it takes many pushes, but it always lights.

try bending the electrode away from the burner a little bit, so the spark has to jump a wider gap. My gasser had the same problem and thats how I fixed it, do not touch the the electrode while pushing the button! ask me how I know.

i can get a little rammy when things aren't going right, and somehow I pushed the button while holding on to the ignitor, and it got me good!

I had that very same issue on a used Performer that I purchased. Tried everything mentioned here, and more. Had spark, had gas, but no automatic ignition. I ordered the ignitor replacement kit for about $11.00, installed it, and to this day, no problems. With mine, it appeared that the spark from the old unit was just too weak and the new one looks more like a lightning strike when used. Whatever the power source for the spark is, it had to be getting low. There is no way to install new batteries or whatever creates the spark. A new ignitor setup is a simple answer.

I've had success with taking the igniter out and cleaning both contacts where the spark occurs with some sandpaper. This has worked on all the used performers I've picked up off craigslist.

I just bought another amazing condition performer to purge for parts...I will basically disassemble the whole thing and replace as I need...a solid option for $75...

Back