Used New to me Weber Genesis Gas Grill

TVargo

Wondering if y’all would know what model this is and recommendations on restoring it. The inside bottom panel needs replaced for sure and igniter. What other parts would you replace? Also the inside hood has caked on carbon I want to clean. I read another post of someone using Dawn Professional and use a razor to scrape it off. How do you know if the grates and inside parts are ok? I’m a restore newbie!!!

Attachments

• F582CDA6-8F80-449E-A04C-0D3BB7A974C0.jpeg
    F582CDA6-8F80-449E-A04C-0D3BB7A974C0.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 21
  • D54EE54C-DE45-4072-88A0-6F7D4368E61C.jpeg
    D54EE54C-DE45-4072-88A0-6F7D4368E61C.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 21
  • 1D0E2CDA-81DC-41EC-87C8-5AAE46F4469A.jpeg
    1D0E2CDA-81DC-41EC-87C8-5AAE46F4469A.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 19
  • B343A9B2-B014-4CD9-8FEF-83E87C111E44.jpeg
    B343A9B2-B014-4CD9-8FEF-83E87C111E44.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 15
It's a Genesis Special Edition (okay, duh...it's written right on there). This site will tell you where to find the serial number, which can give you more detailed information about the specific model: https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/locate-serialnumbers/

Here's Weber's main page for replacement parts for that particular model: https://www.weber.com/US/en/parts-f...stainless-gray/panel-type/side-mount-control/

That said, for things like grates and bars, check out RCPlaneBuyer's ebay page - higher quality material AND lower prices. You can even contact him through Craigslist if you want to see about getting better prices.

I'd replace parts based on...whether they need replacing. Are grates and bars rusted? Just a little, or totally through? Some surface rust can be cleaned off; if there's holes in things, just replace them. Pics of the inside of the grill box would certainly help us determine what kind of shape they're in.

We have kind of nicknamed that grill the "sidewinder" since it is the last Genesis with side controls and burners going left to right (or, if you prefer, E-W). Before you get carried away with ordering parts, look over the cabinet and frame. I really like these grills, but they are notorious for collecting rust on the bottom and back. Then it gets to the frame legs. Now you are looking at extensive rust repair and/or some expensive replacement parts.

If you are fortunate enough to have gotten one that was kept inside and dry, then you have the foundation for an extra nice grill. While many of us are seriously loyal to the older "classic" Genesis grills, at this one offers the traditional Weber burner design in a slightly larger, taller standing and more modern looking design. I hope you can really make it look good. Just do your homework first!

T:
Weber made these grill from 2007 thru 2010 model years. The manifold and igniter on the 2007 is different than the 2008-2010 model years. Parts for the 2008-2010 are interchangeable . Is yours NG or LP? If it is Propane, it should have a round hole in the bottom of the cabinet and a tank scale inside on the right side. If it is NG it should have a solid bottom panel with no hole. In any event it is an E-310 grill. The model and serial number should be on a sticker inside of the cabinet on the vertical bracket that holds the drip pan.

A little more on the 2007 E-310. The manifold is held to the grill by two bolts attaching to the firebox and a crossmember underneath the gas valves. Igniter wire attaches directly to the igniter thru a hole in the firebox.

2008 forward do not have the crossmember, but wings on the front and rear of the manifold itself that slide into slots on the left side frame (front & rear) under the stainless top piece. The newer igniter attaches to the front burner tube.

That's a nice sidewinder but if the bottom cabinet is really bad (rust) then, in my opinion, I wouldn't rehab it unless you can get replacement parts under warranty (worth a try)...totally up to you though.

About the only thing you might get covered under warranty are the burner tubes.

Rcplanebuyer has excellent grates and flavor bars, but there are cheaper options on Amazon that aren't too bad. Do some searching around here. Plenty of info

Also, Special Edition, means your grill originally came with stainless steel flavor bars and grates, so more than likely to can just clean them up and use them rather than replacing.

If you've got rust, it's not the end of the world. You can replace the metal sides or bottom panels with some wood slats....just takes some good DIY work.

T:
I about your restore. If you want to restore it for resale, it probably will cost more than it is worth. If you want to restore it so you have a great gas grill, then you have a good candidate if the rust hasn't eaten too much of the cabinet. Parts are plentiful from all sorts of sources. Our family has two 2007's online and I have a spare one for parts if rust or accident claims a part. Good luck on the restore!

Like others have said I have a fondness for the earlier version of the genesis. I have an 1998 genesis 1000LX (now a 2000) that I bought new in 1998, I also have an 2009 E320. The big difference is the E320 has an enclosed cabinet and is a little taller and a little bigger than the earlier genesis.
Both are great grills and cook really well, especially if you want to get a rotisserie the E/W burners are ideal for that type of cooking.
If the cabinet is in good shape you have the perfect grill to restore and you will really enjoy it.

Back