Upside down water pan?

Maclane Jones

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone tried to put their water pan in upside down would it let the juices run off the side in to the charcoal ring and create a sizzling effect or does it put the fire out will it defect the heat from coming up just a thought I had last time I was out smoking

:wsm22::redgenesis1::blackkettle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, you're suggesting using the pan for indirect cooking but letting the drippings hit the fire. I've never heard anyone suggest using the water pan that way.

There are plenty of people who cook over direct heat in the WSM and let the drippings hit the fire. It does not extinguish the fire, but does make a mess in the bottom of the charcoal bowl.

I would think the bowl would just direct the drippings outside the ring and make a mess but I haven't really looked at it.

I'd wonder about how the heat would travel differently due to the bowl shape being upside down.
How about foiling the bowl opening straight across rather then within the curvature of the bowl so when upside down the rising heat will deflect off of a straight piece of foil rather then get trapped in the bowl?

Back