Untraditional TG turkey

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
It’s been quite a year for us and frankly, we’re exhausted. We decided that we didn’t want to do all the hullabaloo and host and have 12 people over.

So 2/3 of the kids are with GFs and the last 1/3 is home with us.

Was going to do seafood dinner but…. I figured out how to have some turkey and not have to eat leftovers for a week and take hours to prep.

So, I deboned both breasts and cling wrapped each one individually and froze them for future smoked Texas style turkey breasts. Those are going to be some amazing sandwiches.

Broke down the thighs, legs and wings and will cook those on the WSK today.

Turkey, stuffing and cranberries. That’s the meal and with a nice wine too.

Happy Thanksgiving to all in this wonderful community.

1669314485935.jpeg

1669314510982.jpeg

My garden dried rosemary, tarragon, thyme, SPG, evoo and a few teaspoons of pineapple frozen concentrate for a countertop marinate.

1669314635523.jpeg

Attachments

• 1669314598301.jpeg
    1669314598301.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 3
Sounds great but I'd never get away with only cooking legs, thighs and wings. Miriam insists on having breast meat.

Hava a nice, restful, Thanksgiving!

Sounds great but I'd never get away with only cooking legs, thighs and wings. Miriam insists on having breast meat.

Hava a nice, restful, Thanksgiving!
Wife likes the thighs. I like the wings and legs. It’s just 3 of us and I think the daughter is eating spinach and cheese raviolis for dinner.

I like the breast, a lot, but not enough to have two of them cooked for dinner. And I’ve really wanted to make a Texas LAS turkey breast.

The last time I had some was from Salt Lick on a flying home layover from our Caribbean cruise last November. So I’m really looking forward to this next cook of this breast.

Happy Thanksgiving and hopefully you’re not covered in snow.

Wife likes the thighs. I like the wings and legs. It’s just 3 of us and I think the daughter is eating spinach and cheese raviolis for dinner.

I like the breast, a lot, but not enough to have two of them cooked for dinner. And I’ve really wanted to make a Texas LAS turkey breast.

The last time I had some was from Salt Lick on a flying home layover from our Caribbean cruise last November. So I’m really looking forward to this next cook of this breast.

Happy Thanksgiving and hopefully you’re not covered in snow.
Have a great thanksgiving, I love Texas style Turkey breasts and they are so easy!!

Have a great thanksgiving, I love Texas style Turkey breasts and they are so easy!!
Same to you and your fam, Bruno. Texas turkey breast is set it and forget it. Probe will let me know when it’s done. And for $0.99 a pound it was a great deal!

That’s a great idea Brett.
The whole bird for us is always way too big.
Then there is the different requirements for white vs dark meat.
Betcha that cooks up great.

Looks amazing! While prepping the 24 lb bird over the last few days for today's 20 people (12 being under 18) dinner, I thought I need to go look for the bone in breast when they go on a big sale in the next few days to de-bone them for Texas style LAS Turkey Breast. This post just makes me want to do do that even move. The kettle got fired up today, but was relegated to just veggie and side duty. However, I did sneak the winging out of get crisped up and they come out perfect.

That’s a great idea Brett.
The whole bird for us is always way too big.
Then there is the different requirements for white vs dark meat.
Betcha that cooks up great.
thanks. it actually all came out for the better. we were able to size up the bird and get larger breasts for future smoking and the increased size didn't give that much more dark meat either.

i cooked off all but the breasts, and i had the two wings for dinner and wife and daughter finished up one thigh. i deboned the leftover thigh and two legs and that's all we have to in the fridge now. i can easily repurpose this if its not eaten by tomorrow.

the cook went well, albeit longer than projected due to lower cook temps. to ensure the thighs were fully cooked (170F+) i moved the probe around the two thighs during the cook and also did a little direct sear of the skin to get that extra crisp and avoid rubbery skin (cook temps were lower than 325F most of the cook).

flavor was on point as these are my goto prep ingredients, except i usually do a wet brine for 24-48 hours on the full bird.

i'd definitely do this breakdown method again in the future. it was a great way to get a large bird and lot have to eat it all, or cook it all, at once or be forced into days of leftovers. and we're really looking forward to those smoked breasts (ala Chud style:
)

Looks amazing! While prepping the 24 lb bird over the last few days for today's 20 people (12 being under 18) dinner, I thought I need to go look for the bone in breast when they go on a big sale in the next few days to de-bone them for Texas style LAS Turkey Breast. This post just makes me want to do do that even move. The kettle got fired up today, but was relegated to just veggie and side duty. However, I did sneak the winging out of get crisped up and they come out perfect.
check out Chud's YT link in my other reply. that'll be my breast cookoff, with some slight mods to the rub. i'm thinking the secret to a juice breast is to cling wrap it once it comes off the WSK. this way it'll retain max moisture as it cools down.

Brett, that looks amazing and I’m very interested in the use of the pineapple, the touch of sweetness would be really nice!
i use either pineapple or OJ frozen concentrates. they are designed to take away the gaminess of turkey and add a background note. you can't really tell what the flavor is when eating, except that it's a very slight citrus flavor and nose. the sugars don't impart a sweet profile, unless you overdo the amount. turkey is kinda tasteless and this ingredient adds a little flavor to an otherwise "flat" protein.

frozen juice concentrate is an ingredient i learned to use 30+ years ago when making pineapple steak and/or orange chicken. the concentrated flavor means only a little is needed to enhance proteins.

I like it, just enough to kick it a little.
exactly. a small flavor enhancer and an acid which tenderizes/softens proteins. a double whammy, with flavor bonus. i use the same trick in my carne asada and pollo asado. there the citrus is a little more pronounced as you want to taste it but not overwhelm it.

if you're cooking a cheaper cut of steak and want to make it taste and chew better, then add in some pineapple concentrate. the acids in pineapple tenderize proteins (beef especially as beef is tougher/more fibrous than poultry). you can make a chap steak taste better and more enjoyable with this little trick. works well if you're doing a kebob type skewered meat too.

Back