Unicorn Found! The Weber Flat Top FT-400

Hi Jon, someone has put one up for sale in South Australia, asking $120AUD, describing it as 'unused'. Probably a tad ambitious in the ask, but...
Anyway there are some photos

View attachment 85481View attachment 85482View attachment 85483View attachment 85484
Stephen,
Thank you so much for sharing! That answers the unknowns from the fuzzy picture I posted. As close as you could get here in the US would be using a charcoal Go Anywhere and trying to eliminate and make air tight the bottom vents. The top lid vents would just be closed, although I could see times where you might open them a little.

The old ad shows food being fried in it and mentions also being used as a food warmer.

I just obtained a copy of the Owner’s Manual for the 4-burner Flat-Too like mine. It shows that the standard issue was one stamped steel grate and one cast iron griddle. I am guessing that the 6-burner had one more stamped steel grate and the modified Go Anywhere “pot” posted by @Stephen R that would sit on top of one of the stamped grates.

The old ad shows food being fried in it and mentions also being used as a food warmer.

I just obtained a copy of the Owner’s Manual for the 4-burner Flat-Too like mine. It shows that the standard issue was one stamped steel grate and one cast iron griddle. I am guessing that the 6-burner had one more stamped steel grate and the modified Go Anywhere “pot” posted by @Stephen R that would sit on top of one of the stamped grates.
Hi Jon,
I think, and I am not sure about this, the FT400 and the FT600 were marketed at different/same times in the USA as both the Weber FT400, Weber FT600 and /or the Summit 400, Summit 600.
I think the Summit 400 and Summit 600 got the good SS rod grates, The Weber ET400/600s the stamped SS grates.
Some of the US manuals show the FT400s as having two grates, no griddle plate??
In Australia they were only marketed as Weber (not Summit) with the stamped SS grill plates. Both the Australian weber FT400/ FT600 must have had a griddle plate or we would not have bought them. Pretty sure the FT400 here also got a 'pot'.
Below is a screenshot of something I just found in a US Weber Summit 400 (FT not mentioned) manual as included in the package...
What is a 'Cosy Heat Zone Lid'???????

Ft400.png

IDK about all the naming stuff but I did see one in the flesh at the Weber dealer and it had same grates (heavy stainless rods) as the normal Summits

Hi Jon,
I think, and I am not sure about this, the FT400 and the FT600 were marketed at different/same times in the USA as both the Weber FT400, Weber FT600 and /or the Summit 400, Summit 600.
I think the Summit 400 and Summit 600 got the good SS rod grates, The Weber ET400/600s the stamped SS grates.
Some of the US manuals show the FT400s as having two grates, no griddle plate??
In Australia they were only marketed as Weber (not Summit) with the stamped SS grill plates. Both the Australian weber FT400/ FT600 must have had a griddle plate or we would not have bought them. Pretty sure the FT400 here also got a 'pot'.
Below is a screenshot of something I just found in a US Weber Summit 400 (FT not mentioned) manual as included in the package...
What is a 'Cosy Heat Zone Lid'???????

View attachment 85503
Looks like in the above list of included items that on this one you just got a modified Go Anywhere lid but not a bottom - a "Cozy Heat Zone lid." I suppose the idea was since there is no hood you might want to keep some food covered.

The grates that came with my Flat Top are the stainless rod grates which the seller seemed to indicate came with it when he bought it. The ones above look like stainless rods.

So, like a lot of Weber stuff, variations galore! Fun stuff to think about over the winter so I can execute a plan when things get warm and my tax preparation season finally ends!

Here are the applicable pages from my US LP Manual dated 1996. This version, as I mentioned, seems to have just one stamped steel grate and one griddle. No "Cozy Heat Zone Lid!"
Weber Summit FT 400 LP Owner's Manual SELECTED_Page_1.jpeg
Weber Summit FT 400 LP Owner's Manual SELECTED_Page_2.jpeg
Weber Summit FT 400 LP Owner's Manual Pg 8_Page_1.jpeg

Attachments

• Weber Summit FT 400 LP Owner's Manual SELECTED_Page_3.jpeg
    Weber Summit FT 400 LP Owner's Manual SELECTED_Page_3.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1
Here are the applicable pages from my US LP Manual dated 1996. This version, as I mentioned, seems to have just one stamped steel grate and one griddle. No "Cozy Heat Zone Lid!"
View attachment 85519
View attachment 85520
View attachment 85522
Interesting, how many years did they offer the FT400? Maybe the "Cozy" lid was only offered for a short time, or only on export models? Anyways, I think it's a great idea for that grill. I would likely use it.

One thing for sure is that it would be easier to come close to replicating that with a Go Anywhere castoff lid. You could use the charcoal version with the vents closed, or for a closer to original appearance, go with that gas version lid and ignore the small side venting that I don't think would really be a problem with that kind of application. Or try to close up those side vents.

Found one here in Upstate NY for 500.00 looks to be in good condition but not what I need at this time.
Gavin,
That is the guy I bought mine from. The $500 one is the larger 6-burner model and has been largely restored. Certainly, a much better one than the unrestored, faded one that I bought from him for $200 (with free delivery 1/3 of the way across the country:cool:). I am happy with what I got as restoring is part of the fun for me. Working some ideas on the faded tops.

Mainly, I just wanted a working Flat-Top for the fun of it.:smilekettle:

Gavin,
That is the guy I bought mine from. The $500 one is the larger 6-burner model and has been largely restored. Certainly, a much better one than the unrestored, faded one that I bought from him for $200 (with free delivery 1/3 of the way across the country:cool:). I am happy with what I got as restoring is part of the fun for me. Working some ideas on the faded tops.

BrettK had some stuff he used to restore the old faded wheels on a performer cart he built. Might work for you. Let me check and see what he said he used.

Gavin,

Brett said it's called "back to black". He has pictures of the before and after on the wheels in his postcalled "uncharted territory" under the WSM modifications section.

Brett said it's called "back to black". He has pictures of the before and after on the wheels in his postcalled "uncharted territory" under the WSM modifications section.
Brock,
I have used that on wheels and other black plastic trim. The sliding shelves on the Flat-Top are porcelain coated steel just like hoods and earlier control panels. My shelves have a very bad case of “Weber fade.”

IMG_4419.jpeg

I tried the Pam trick and was surprised it did as much as it did.

IMG_4433.jpeg

Of course, Pam is only a temporary “fix” and can’t eliminate scratches. Even sitting inside my house it is still slowly wearing off.

I am considering Jeff at IPE in Kansas who does amazing re-porcelain coating. That would make them like new. Need to concentrate on taxes right now. Getting some returns done could help pay for sending them to Jeff!

Back