Twenty Dolla Holler - New Q200 Pickup

Great thanks.
Bruce,
On the clear coat. Do you mostly use the high gloss rustoleum? After you cured it on the grill...how well does that hold up? When it's hot outside or while you're grilling, does the lid ever feel sticky?
I have some "Satin" clear coat that is the VHT brand, but I think the gloss might look better and more shiny.

Kyle, I would go with the gloss. It makes it pop and that is what people like. I do use Rustoleum gloss but if VHT makes a gloss clear coat, I am sure that would work as well.

As far as how well it holds up, I honestly can't tell you since I have sold all the Q's that I have painted. I don't bother painting my personal grills....hahahaha. I am more about functionality for myself. But, I am sure if you cure it, it will hold up well. I haven't had anyone come back and complain and I have sold quite a few Q grills over the last three years. Some of those just got the Rustoleum high heat Black/Copper/Aluminum with out clear coat.

I got around to putting a clear coat on the blue lid I painted, and wow! The clear makes such a difference. Very happy with this color now.
For reference, I went with the VHT Flameproof Satin Clear. Put 3 coats of clear on. I’ll post a follow up after I’ve cured it and cooked on it a few times

83D71D33-7CFA-4697-9C7A-EFC2C8F735FA.jpegF52CD555-C647-4A86-A145-38DE10DA27A4.jpeg484A90D9-27FA-4D0A-B049-6FE984F4BEFA.jpeg84936B56-37C4-44F0-9987-8184383E1CCA.jpeg

And here is a shot of the Cast Iron color with the clear coat, again I’m not a big fan of this color for the Q, but it looks great on a Genesis fireboxCC96BC67-5872-4168-B7C7-DCB32577ADB9.jpeg

Kyle, I actually kind of like that color. I have 3 Q300's in waiting that I have been holding
off on restoring - ( I already have 2 reds, a blue and yellow completed) and have
been thinking about adding another color. I think I will do one in that color.
I will also do the firebox in the same color, and likely paint the trim panels
bright red perhaps, to give it some flair. Q's don't seem to sell very well here until
the weather warms up (no idea why) so I will hold off on the others until I can see
which color, besides red, sells well.
I need to find another cart like that one also. I have a CharQ - keeper- that would
go well with that.

Dave, I picked up a pretty decent CharQ with Q200 cart last fall for $40. At some point I will be rehabbing it. Not sure what color I want to go with on it though. If I can clean it up good, I may just leave the lid alone.

Kyle, I actually kind of like that color. I have 3 Q300's in waiting that I have been holding
off on restoring - ( I already have 2 reds, a blue and yellow completed) and have
been thinking about adding another color. I think I will do one in that color.
I will also do the firebox in the same color, and likely paint the trim panels
bright red perhaps, to give it some flair. Q's don't seem to sell very well here until
the weather warms up (no idea why) so I will hold off on the others until I can see
which color, besides red, sells well.
I need to find another cart like that one also. I have a CharQ - keeper- that would
go well with that.
It certainly looks better with the clear coat. Without the coat, this color flat paint just shows every little scratch.
It's not a bad color at all. I'll be putting that one on the market soon. I'll let you know how long it takes to sell. It's already 80 degrees here and pollen has already started to go crazy here....cars turning yellow!

Yah, well, we have another coating of snow this morning. This weather is making it easy to stay home during this Carona Crap.

Snow.jpg

Florida seasons that I will be leaving behind:
December - Fall 🌴
January - "Winter"
February - Spring but full of "snowbird" tourists :rolleyes:
March - Nice if you are lucky, otherwise hot. Full of spring breakers🤪
April through July - Summer...Very Hot 🔆
August & September - Still Summer and even hotter, but now hurricanes, too!🌀
October & November - Nice if you are lucky (Floridians' time to enjoy), but otherwise still hot

Last edited:
Think I've got this one ready to sell.
Sides and all the black plastic sure do look great after the paint thinner / boiled Linseed Oil mix.

I didn't grind down the lid, but got all the chunky gunk off the lid and cleaned the bowl under the grates pretty good.

It fires up on the first push now.

Any other suggestions on what I should do before selling? I basically cleaned it up really well. Removed ignitor and burner tube, cleaned with steel wool and sandpaper. Also added the thermometer and painted the lid. I didn't paint the firebox bottom part.

20200321_084931.jpg20200321_084943.jpg20200321_084948.jpg

Unless you were going to grind the inside of the lid and cook box down to bare aluminum, the that is ready to roll.
Good job.

Unless you were going to grind the inside of the lid and cook box down to bare aluminum, the that is ready to roll.
Good job.
Only other thing I'll do is spray the grate down again before taking pictures. And no, I don't want to mess with grinding the insides.

Back