Twenty Dolla Holler - New Q200 Pickup

Do a Google search for "boiled linseed oil on plastic trim". You'll see a lot of people are using this mixture on their vehicle trim, which has major exposure to the elements. It's my first time using it, but I do plan on using it on the trim of my truck as well. All the black trim has turned grey on my 25 year old Dodge Ram.

Here are some pictures of the more permanent style cart that came with that rough $15 Q. Pressure washing gave it new life and the boiled Linseed Oil mixture made it shine like new.

20200225_115357.jpg

20200225_115405_HDR.jpg

20200225_115413.jpg

The Q that is sitting on the cart is the nicer $20 Q I purchased. The lid was sanded lightly and painted with VHT paint in the Cast Iron color. I plan to keep this setup, and sell the other two, but might swap out the lids. Just depends on how slowly or quickly the other Cast Iron color one sells.

I plan to clean all the plastics on my Qs as well and apply the linseed mix to them, but haven't gotten around to that yet. You can really tell what a difference the linseed makes.

Here is one of the portable carts that I cleaned up with the rough $15 Q grill sitting on the cart.

20200225_115547_HDR.jpg

Also wanted to mention I took those pictures today, so it's been a few days since applying the Linseed. We'll see how well it holds up to the rain, we're getting hit with rain nearly every day down here in Atlanta area.

Plan on listing one of the Qs any day, not many for sale right now across the different selling platforms so might be good time. Plus I gotta get rid of some of these so I can justify bringing more back home.

Can’t argue with that outcome! Looks great, Kyle. Good luck on your future sale. Don’t give it away.

Yah, Kyle that looks great. I thought at first you were using a mixture of linseed and xylol or paint thinner or something.

Yah, Kyle that looks great. I thought at first you were using a mixture of linseed and xylol or paint thinner or something.
That's right, boiled Linseed Oil and Paint thinner at a 50/50 mix, has to be boiled Linseed Oil. Home Depot and all those stores should sell it. And a little goes a long way, so just mix up a little bit at a time.

I use Aerospace 303 protectant. It has very good UV blockers which is what causes the graying of the black vinyl in the first place. It does a great job on bringing back the thermoset drop down and side tables on the Genesis grills as well.

Last edited:
Bruce,
I use that 303 stuff. I think it is great protection but I haven’t gotten restoration results on black trim like Kyle has shown using it or Mother’s Back to Black. There is a more exotic product that you wipe on. I have to look it up. Strong chemicals and difficult to work with. It does do a very long lasting restoration but I wouldn’t use it on tables, just trim, because of the chemicals it contains.

One other thing that a guy can do to bring back the deep black is to take a heat gun to it. A lot of car/truck enthusiasts do that. But you do have to be careful to not "melt" the plastic/vinyl. Just make sure it is good and clean before doing it. I have several of those extremely faded folding Q carts and will try to remember to try the heat gun on one of them this summer.

One other thing that a guy can do to bring back the deep black is to take a heat gun to it. A lot of car/truck enthusiasts do that. But you do have to be careful to not "melt" the plastic/vinyl. Just make sure it is good and clean before doing it. I have several of those extremely faded folding Q carts and will try to remember to try the heat gun on one of them this summer. The heat gun solution is a more permanent fix than a coating.

I would say once a month during the summer on a car. Not sure about a grill stand. But, the good thing about it, is that if applied regular, it will prevent the permanent fading. You don't want to wait until something is already faded to start using it if possible which is what usually happens. It will help bring the color back to faded black, just like linseed or Armor All, but as it washes away, the fading will return if not reapplied.

I ordered a can of Flat Blue VHT Flameproof paint. Going to pair that with the Flameproof clear coat.

On the two lids I painted in the Cast Iron color of the VHT a Flameproof I wasn’t very happy with the color. It didn’t look bad, just no pop to it.

Here is what the Flat Blue looks like after 3 coats, no primer. It’s been dry about 5 hours now. It is a much lighter blue than I was expecting. Hoping the clear coat helps it a little.

E79CE16A-9254-4182-A842-D68090A2938D.jpeg

The two I painted Cast Iron color, I noticed whenever I took the cover on and off, it left scratch marks on the grill. Well not really scratch marks, they went away when I brush them with my hand, but still very annoying. Guessing the clear coat would help with this.

If I decide to go with another color, I’ll be trying the slightly more expensive VHT Caliper paint because it is a Gloss and not Flat.

Yes, the clear coat should darken it up a bit and you will be amazed at how "Glossy" it comes out. That is really a pretty color. What is the heat rating on that stuff?

The can says up to 2,000 degrees. Both my other Qs used same type of paint.... I burned them in quite a bit cranking the Qs as high as they could go and no bubbling or anything like that.

Back