TVWBB Tailgate @ Oakland Coliseum, A's vs. Orioles

All of F1 is for the wealthy. Who else can afford Ferraris? As for the Vegas race, it was pretty cool to see on TV. As for seeing it in person in LV? Maybe down the road in the future after all the kinks are worked through.

Allegiant, isn't really designed for cars/parking. Walking to the stadium is fairly easy. It's not much different that parking and walking to Levi's in Santa Clara.

Going to a Niners game is like an 8 hour ordeal. Arrive at least 2-3 hours before kickoff, walk 30 minutes to the stadium. Security and lines add another 20 minutes at times. Then the hike to your seats. Watch the game and then 30 minutes to leave the stadium. Another 30-40 minutes to walk to your car and then another hour to 90 minutes to exit a parking lot.

We just stay at a local hotel and do an overnight if possible. It's just easier. Also another reason we don't go to many in person games. It's too much of a hassle and time burn. Allegiant would be easier and more fun (and better restaurants than Santa Clara).

It sounds like VTA or some other public transportation isn't an option for you, to Levi's?

So there were no other good sites in or around Oakland that the Raiders could have built their own stadium? I don't know, it just seems to me that both teams were seeking a tax payer funded stadium for themselves. I could be wrong, maybe Oakland just isn't attractive anymore as a place for pro sports. Both franchises have a history of pulling up stakes and moving in any case.
Allegiant and SoFi are two of the most beautiful stadiums in the NFL. Levi’s looks like a joke compared to both of those stadiums. Oakland could never have built either of those stadiums in Oakland. And LV has much better demographics, IMO, than Oakland. I dare you to spend 30 minutes walking around downtown Oakland. Even SF is off our list since the ‘vid.

Allegiant and SoFi are two of the most beautiful stadiums in the NFL. Levi’s looks like a joke compared to both of those stadiums. Oakland could never have built either of those stadiums in Oakland. And LV has much better demographics, IMO, than Oakland. I dare you to spend 30 minutes walking around downtown Oakland. Even SF is off our list since the ‘vid.
What do you like about the looks of those two stadiums, compared to Levi's?

I was trying not to say the obvious about either Oakland or SF for that matter. I went to the first game of the season last year at Soldier Field. I took the train into Chicago Union Station and then a shuttle bus to the stadium. It is is extremely convenient, easy, and cheap. Since I also happen to live not too far from Chicago, the trip there and back is less than an hour. Hopefully the Bears decide to build their new stadium in nearby Arlington Heights which will cut down travel time to about 15 minutes.

We happened to be visiting San Jose (from Salt Lake City) earlier this year in March, and took BART from North San Jose into SF one day. As we were getting closer to Oakland, more and more people were getting on the train wearing their A's gear. Sure enough, it was a pre-season game that day. I'm still kicking myself for not knowing that ahead of time and going to the game that day. It was perfect weather too, nice and sunny, perfect spring temps.

I'm not necessarily and A's fan, but our closest major league team is Denver, and I guess soon to be Las Vegas now. Maybe I will have to become an A's fan after all. :cool:

So there were no other good sites in or around Oakland that the Raiders could have built their own stadium? I don't know, it just seems to me that both teams were seeking a tax payer funded stadium for themselves.
I think both things were true. 1) Originally the Raiders under Mark Davis wanted to build a new stadium at the Coliseum site and the A's interfered with those plans, and 2) Years later, with professional sports leagues no longer afraid of sports betting and the rise of Las Vegas as a prime sports location, Mark Davis and the NFL owners saw the big $$$ and ditched Oakland in favor of Vegas.

And Vegas and Nevada were willing to pay. They had a lot great venues but DID NOT have a world-class venue like Allegiant Stadium and they wanted one badly. And it's paid off well for them beyond football, for example in 2022 Billboard Magazine reported that Allegiant Stadium was the world's highest grossing stadium with $182,503,448 in gross sales from 22 concerts held there that year.

There was also the Fremont plan that didn't happen.
Yes, the plan by then-owner Lou Wolf in 2009 to move the team to Fremont failed, in part, because of community opposition.

In his letter to city officials, Wolff said he had not expected local resistance to the project.

"I thought the overwhelming plusses of having our A's in your community for the next 40 years and longer would have resonated in a more positive manner even with those who might perceive some negatives," he said.

But Kathy McDonald, head of a Fremont citizens group opposed to the project, said a stadium would saddle Fremont with additional infrastructure and police costs and stifle other businesses.

"We're too small a city to have such a luxury item," she said. "The bottom line is economically this [would have been] a disastrous decision for Fremont."

Allegiant and SoFi are two of the most beautiful stadiums in the NFL. Levi’s looks like a joke compared to both of those stadiums.
Agreed!

Oakland could never have built either of those stadiums in Oakland.
Probably true, but I believe something unique and Oakland-appropriate could have been built by an owner, whether baseball or football, that was highly motivated to do so and understood the realities of California taxpayers not wanting to subsidize billionaires to build stadiums.

As for SoFi, it's such an over-the-top stadium in terms of size and design and $$$ that it could only be built in L.A., the land of dreams! And with two NFL tenants.

And LV has much better demographics, IMO, than Oakland.
I don't know about this, the A's don't draw just from Oakland but from the entire East Bay Area and South Bay and all over, really. They had good turnout during years when they put a good product on the field and made it to the playoffs. Again, malpractice on the part of the owner is responsible for much of this, IMHO.

I dare you to spend 30 minutes walking around downtown Oakland. Even SF is off our list since the ‘vid.
No, thank you. But I can't help but think that a large self-contained project like a renovated Coliseum site could have been a safe venue to both football and baseball if it weren't for the siren's call of big $$$ in Vegas. And I get it, that's business. But it still stinks for fans.

I think both things were true. 1) Originally the Raiders under Mark Davis wanted to build a new stadium at the Coliseum site and the A's interfered with those plans, and 2) Years later, with professional sports leagues no longer afraid of sports betting and the rise of Las Vegas as a prime sports location, Mark Davis and the NFL owners saw the big $$$ and ditched Oakland in favor of Vegas.

And Vegas and Nevada were willing to pay. They had a lot great venues but DID NOT have a world-class venue like Allegiant Stadium and they wanted one badly. And it's paid off well for them beyond football, for example in 2022 Billboard Magazine reported that Allegiant Stadium was the world's highest grossing stadium with $182,503,448 in gross sales from 22 concerts held there that year.

Yes, the plan by then-owner Lou Wolf in 2009 to move the team to Fremont failed, in part, because of community opposition.
great link to Billboard.

and as i stated earlier, the two top stadiums are:

1701907425532.png

Wait for the 2023 numbers. Taylor Swift had massive success in SoFi. way beyond what she achieved at Levi's too is my bet. SoFi draws audience from a very large local area, even fly-ins for shows. but Allegiant owns the crown with so many hotel rooms in town and top line restaurants, experiences and flights availability. Vegas usually has around 42M visitors. The local population is only around 2.2M.

Again, malpractice on the part of the owner is responsible for much of this, IMHO.
that's the lynchpin of it all. greedy owners who wanted locals to foot the bill.

i'm in Alameda a few times a year on business and in Oakland too. Oakland is a city with multiple personalities, IMO.

a top tier stadium would and could do very well but it would need vision and leadership to make it a huge success. but it boils down to does government want to be a partner is a billion+ event center (football, concerts, collegiate sports events and such).

i think Vegas had a grand vision and deep pockets to pull off Allegiant. and boy did they do just that. and now the MSG Sphere is kicking b*** too. i read recently that there might be another 2-3 more MSG Spheres that will be built in the world.

i spoke with a client this week that went to an event at the Sphere. he was blown away by the experience.

i just wish there was grand vision or leadership up here where we live. but it's not. so we go to Vegas for fun. and we invest in Vegas proper too.

Vegas has its own weirdness, like all cities do. but there's fun and also relaxation there. we enjoy spending time there.

Do you think it would have been disastrous for Fremont?

I don't know about this, the A's don't draw just from Oakland but from the entire East Bay Area and South Bay and all over, really. They had good turnout during years when they put a good product on the field and made it to the playoffs. Again, malpractice on the part of the owner is responsible for much of this, IMHO.

They also draw from Sacramento. It's an easy Amtrak ride for day games.

great link to Billboard.

and as i stated earlier, the two top stadiums are:

View attachment 83249

Wait for the 2023 numbers. Taylor Swift had massive success in SoFi. way beyond what she achieved at Levi's too is my bet. SoFi draws audience from a very large local area, even fly-ins for shows. but Allegiant owns the crown with so many hotel rooms in town and top line restaurants, experiences and flights availability. Vegas usually has around 42M visitors. The local population is only around 2.2M.

-span-style-font-size-130-top-stadiums.png

I didn't go to any games at the Coliseum this year, but I did see the A's at Spring Training in Arizona last March.
Chris, I can't imagine having one of my favorite sports teams leaving for another city. I'm not too sure how I would process that other than being pretty upset about it. Years ago the White Sox threatened to leave Chicago if they didn't get a new tax payer funded stadium, they got it. I would have been ok with them leaving since I am a Cubs fan and am still upset at the deal the state of Illinois made with the White Sox over that deal.

Back