Turning a Performer Deluxe into a smoker

Howard Warren

TVWBB Fan
This is probably a case of being bored...

I have an opportunity to buy a Weber Performer Deluxe new in box locally (trading a guitar for it.) But I do not have a need for the Deluxe; in particular I do not want the gas ignition. On the other hand, as I'm getting older, cleaning out the bottom of my WSM is harder on my knees. The OK Joe is too big/too much work for cooking for only two people. And I have a Cajun Bandit sitting unused in my garage.

So... what if I do this?
  • Assemble the Weber Performer but leave off the gas ignition parts.
  • Add the Cajun Bandit
  • Use the hole in the Performer (where the gas tube would go) as a port for some kind of ATC like a DigiQ or a Pitmaster IQ. I would run the "smoker" with the ash cleaner closed.
Compared to the WSM, I would lose the ability to add charcoal (but I don't do that anyway.) And emptying the ash bucket is MUCH easier than breaking down the WSM to clean out ashes.

Thoughts? (Like I said, I'm probably just bored and stir crazy... )

What guitar are you trading?
I’m not seeing too much that sends up any real red flags in your thoughts on the smoker project, what Cajun Bandit unit are you going to use?

I fully appreciate the ”bored and stir crazy” !

The guitar is a PRS McCarty 594 Singlecut SE. I love the tone, but I can't play (arthritis in the left hand.) I also play keyboards and drums (multiple vintage drum sets.) Keyboard I'm moving towards music with simpler bass lines. For drums, I'm still good, I use leather gloves for grip.

The Cajun Bandit is just the Stacker accessory, but with a 16" ceramic saucer as a heat deflector, it works very well. The CB Stacker and a Weber kettle was how I learned to BBQ many years ago ;).

This is probably a case of being bored...

I have an opportunity to buy a Weber Performer Deluxe new in box locally (trading a guitar for it.) But I do not have a need for the Deluxe; in particular I do not want the gas ignition. On the other hand, as I'm getting older, cleaning out the bottom of my WSM is harder on my knees. The OK Joe is too big/too much work for cooking for only two people. And I have a Cajun Bandit sitting unused in my garage.

So... what if I do this?
  • Assemble the Weber Performer but leave off the gas ignition parts.
  • Add the Cajun Bandit
  • Use the hole in the Performer (where the gas tube would go) as a port for some kind of ATC like a DigiQ or a Pitmaster IQ. I would run the "smoker" with the ash cleaner closed.
Compared to the WSM, I would lose the ability to add charcoal (but I don't do that anyway.) And emptying the ash bucket is MUCH easier than breaking down the WSM to clean out ashes.

Thoughts? (Like I said, I'm probably just bored and stir crazy... )
Why may I ask would you not want the gas ignition its one of the best features? An SNS Deluxe will turn it into a nice smoker I do ribs a fair amount and did a butt not to long ago no problems but I also do those on high heat 275 gave up the low and slow awhile ago. On the kettle you really can't run the bottom vent closed as that is basically controlling the temp so can do a bit with the top vent but I usually run mine full open or maybe 3/4 you don't want that fully closed if your smoking as you most likely will oversmoke your meat.

Why may I ask would you not want the gas ignition its one of the best features? An SNS Deluxe will turn it into a nice smoker I do ribs a fair amount and did a butt not to long ago no problems but I also do those on high heat 275 gave up the low and slow awhile ago. On the kettle you really can't run the bottom vent closed as that is basically controlling the temp so can do a bit with the top vent but I usually run mine full open or maybe 3/4 you don't want that fully closed if your smoking as you most likely will oversmoke your meat.
I use a chimney for lighting the coals, so the gas ignition has no value. Leaving the gas ignition leaves an air gap around the ignition tube and defeats using an automatic temp control for controlling the temperature. I want to use an ATC like a Pitmaster IQ or a DigiQ; I suspect that I can use the hole from the gas ignition for the ATC and then close the bottom vent.

If I were using an OTG or a Performer Premium, I would drill and mount a single Weber damper dial to run the ATC. Or, maybe I could try the Spider Venom ATC.

I use a chimney for lighting the coals, so the gas ignition has no value. Leaving the gas ignition leaves an air gap around the ignition tube and defeats using an automatic temp control for controlling the temperature. I want to use an ATC like a Pitmaster IQ or a DigiQ; I suspect that I can use the hole from the gas ignition for the ATC and then close the bottom vent.

If I were using an OTG or a Performer Premium, I would drill and mount a single Weber damper dial to run the ATC. Or, maybe I could try the Spider Venom ATC.
I used the gas ignition to start the chimney. I just leave the gas on for 5 minutes and turn it off. No more starters or paper. One of the best features IMHO.

I used the gas ignition to start the chimney. I just leave the gas on for 5 minutes and turn it off. No more starters or paper. One of the best features IMHO.
That’s how I have used them as well but, I really don’t see any reason Howard’s idea is unusual, we all have our own ideas as to what we want and how we want to use it, he’s got the parts, I say “Set ‘er up and see how she runs!” If it does not perform as expected no, problem, dismantle and put it back to spec.
For the record, my “Overperforder” is pre gas ignition design so, I’ve been a “normal” chimney guy for many years.

The Performer does have a smoke setting now a days with the 'P' shaped bottom vents and it works pretty well. But there are better smokers. The idea to use the gas igniter hole for an ATC fan is a good one if the hole location is not a problem. I had considered installing a Spider Venom on my Performer but the display screen orientation was going to be all wonky so I ditched the idea.
That Paul Reed Smith is an awful nice guitar to be trading for a $500 grill that needs to be modded into the smoker you want. That is just what I'm thinking.

Big WOW for that metal table and gas assist on my WPD!

Attachments

• 7F8A1B8E-9874-478C-B575-AFF8204C8E39.jpeg
    7F8A1B8E-9874-478C-B575-AFF8204C8E39.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 21
  • E00EF422-4001-4BAB-97BA-9512ED85BEBD.jpeg
    E00EF422-4001-4BAB-97BA-9512ED85BEBD.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The Performer does have a smoke setting now a days with the 'P' shaped bottom vents and it works pretty well. But there are better smokers. The idea to use the gas igniter hole for an ATC fan is a good one if the hole location is not a problem. I had considered installing a Spider Venom on my Performer but the display screen orientation was going to be all wonky so I ditched the idea.
That Paul Reed Smith is an awful nice guitar to be trading for a $500 grill that needs to be modded into the smoker you want. That is just what I'm thinking.
My WPD bought new in January,2020 does not have the P-Shaped bottom vents but my Weber Master Touch bought new in February, 2023 does have these P-Shaped bottom vents.

The Performer does have a smoke setting now a days with the 'P' shaped bottom vents and it works pretty well. But there are better smokers.
And this is my point exactly. I do not want to use the Performer as a grill at all. I want to tweak it into a (permanent) smoker to supplement (if not replace) my WSM. Cleaning out the ashes from the WSM is hard on my old knees, but the ash catcher on the OTG and Performer is easier to remove.

I've played with my OTG since it has the "P" vents. The "P" vents at the bottom are "meh" as far as temperature control goes; my concern about the Performer Deluxe is the gap around the gas tube would make air control impossible at low temps (225-250). But if I used a DigiQ in place of the gas igniter (widening the hole diameter if necessary) and keeping the ash catcher closed should make air control much better.

That's a good point, but where I live the local used music instrument market is pathetic. I've done a lot of vintage drum deals through Reverb, but I don't want to ship a guitar and risk breaking the head or fretboard.

If the gap around the igniter tube are giving you pause, you should simply buy a smoker designed for the task, if you are into playing ”Gyro Gearloose” and re inventing the wheel, I don’t see any reason not to get on it. Giddy up pal! Report back with results. Including pictures.

I bet the performer would make a really good and big dedicated smoker with your ideas. The ash catcher will definitely make it easier and the side table is a great convenience for the ergonomic issues you describe. I found it really helpful to use a sharpie to premark on the ash catcher with the relation of ash sweep to holes. Considering the play on my ash sweep, I marked mine with Closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and Open. I’m able to control temp from almost no heat to piping hot. If you get Weber’s hinged grate you’ll be able to add coals/wood on 2 sides. I do that in conjunction with Weber’s char-baskets flanking a tin drip tray filled with water or apple juice.

I used my performer mostly for regular grilling but also rotisserie & smoking, and occasional pizza. I have a little smoke leakage between lid & bowl when smoking stuff. I think you could seal the lid even better for smoking with a thin strip of high temp BBQ rated insulation gasket/tape inside the lip of the lid. Not sure what it’s called as I’ve not used it. For bigger things I use an Onlyfire rotissorie/pizza combo ring which gives it about 6” lift. Performers are very versatile. I do really like using the gas assist along with chimney for my purposes. I use it to start coals for other kettles too even when I’m not grilling on the performer. Don’t take what the guys here say in a bad way because they are really nice guys that certainly mean well.

Definitely show us pics once you get your Smoker Performer set up. We like to learn other creative ways we can use our Performers.

Last edited:
I like what you are planning to do. It all makes perfect sense to me, especially as my knees are pretty shot as well. The DigiQ is a fine device for maintaining temp on Weber smokers. I am not totally familiar with the location of the hole, but it works for the DigiQ, I'd say jump on it !!

I've done a bit of smoking on my 26er, either with or without adding the CB Roti Ring, so I can't imagine you not being able to do the same.

BD

Back