Turkey planning

I just did a 12lb turkey on my genesis 1000 with a rotisserie. It came out good. Though not real flavorful and not real juicy like I expected. I think the problem was that I used a generic turkey and I didn't put any seasoning on it before hand.
If you have a non-injected turkey and don't add any seasoning before cooking, you're going to get just what you got, a boring, dry bird. Brining is one approach, though that's a fair bit of work and requires space a lot of people don't have in their refrigerator. I've done it using a cooler and a lot of ice. The other, more space conscious method is salting. Think of it as dry brining. You rub salt on the bird and let it sit like that in the refrigerator. The salt works its way into the meat and causes the tissues to cling tenaciously to their natural moisture. The salt, of course, also tastes good. You can mix other flavorings with the salt and hope the salt will drag at least a bit of it into the interior. I think the jury's still out on the flavoring thing. The salt definitely works. I'm sure you can find specific instructions for both of these techniques online.

If you don't want to go to all this trouble, buy the Butterball. They've injected the turkey with a brine, saving you the trouble. If you do go the Butterball route, by all means ignore the hokey pop-up "done" button. Don't remove it, you'll lose precious juices through the hole, but pay no attention to it otherwise. Stick with a real thermometer.

Turkey is kind of bland and can definitely use some help in the flavor department. Lots of options there. Smoking is certainly a favorite around here. You can also rub butter and/or various herbs and spices under the skin.

Jay:

Yah, I think I will go the butterball route, with smoke and probably your final suggestion of rubbing some butter and spices under the skin.

I came across a recipe yesterday that called for using a bunch of curry type spices. It sounded good but definitely not your traditional Thanksgiving turkey. Not sure how it would mix with smoke either.

I'll probably stick with sage and rosemary because I've got a ton of each in the garden right now and fresh/frozen is almost always better than dried. They're also both forward enough to stand up to the smoke.

Yah, I did my experimental turkey almost two weeks ago. I will make some modifications for the holiday turkey.

I recommend NOT trying a new recipe for the first time on T-day

Gee Dwain, go down in flames if you crash! No guts, no glory afterall.
That said, I will probably brine and make a bacon lattice for basic indirect roasting technique. I’ve tried a hatful of different methods and that one actually seems to work the best for me or at least the basic technique has never let me down. Brine, no brine, bacon blanket or no. It’s all window dressing, if the turkey is done wellall the rest is “gravy”!
Now I want to do one for Tuesday!

Gee Dwain, go down in flames if you crash! No guts, no glory afterall.
That said, I will probably brine and make a bacon lattice for basic indirect roasting technique. I’ve tried a hatful of different methods and that one actually seems to work the best for me or at least the basic technique has never let me down. Brine, no brine, bacon blanket or no. It’s all window dressing, if the turkey is done wellall the rest is “gravy”!
Now I want to do one for Tuesday!

Go for it bro’. I’ll hold your beer. Cheers!

This problem I had last time is the breast meat getting done before the thigh. There are I guess 2 ways to combat this. Icing the breast before putting the turkey on or making a heat shield with foil for a portion of the cook to give the thighs a head start. I'm probably going the heat shield route this time. Anyone else have issues with this? I got a fresh bird last year and brined it. I cooked it on the kettle and it worked perfectly other than the breast getting done early. I managed to save it somewhat by putting on a heat shield towards the end of the cook.

This problem I had last time is the breast meat getting done before the thigh. There are I guess 2 ways to combat this. Icing the breast before putting the turkey on or making a heat shield with foil for a portion of the cook to give the thighs a head start. I'm probably going the heat shield route this time. Anyone else have issues with this? I got a fresh bird last year and brined it. I cooked it on the kettle and it worked perfectly other than the breast getting done early. I managed to save it somewhat by putting on a heat shield towards the end of the cook.

If you do it on the kettle again make a crescent shape pile with your coals and start with the legs pointing in that direction. I also ice bag the breast and add that foil shield at the beginning.
When the thigh is getting close i'll spin the grate and let the breast catch up.

Tim

I'm doing one in two weeks for a "Friendsgiving" type deal. I'm planning on using an apple based rub and using apple wood and maybe just a little hickory to go with it. How long should I allow for a big bird, maybe 16 or 17 pounds? My plan is to smoke it at around 250 or 275. 10 hours ish? Depending on how many people we have, I may do a smaller bird and just get an extra breast to throw in with it.

I did one (about 12lbs) on my rotisserie a couple weeks ago. But, I just bought a 16 pounder for Thanksgiving and will do it Spachcock style for Thanksgiving dinner on my Genesis 1000.

Gib, I might suggest doing two 12 pound birds, they will provide more breast meat and cook a bit more quickly. Just a suggestion.
James, did you rotisserie cook it or straight high altitude method? I was thinking about doing the high altitude turkey twirl this year. Just sayin’

Last edited:

Back