Turkey on the Franklin

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
20211125_100034.jpg
15.75 pound turkery, seasoned with kosher salt and Meat Church Holy Gospel. I let it dry brine in the fridge over night.

20211125_100508.jpg
Franklin fired up. I used mostly pecan and a few sticks of oak.

20211125_132629.jpg
I cooked it at around 350 for maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours. That pit has some serious airflow and the skin on the breast got dark on me before I caught it.

20211125_134102.jpg
Weirdly it looks fine in this picture. I had to rest the bird for a while in a cooler so crispy skin was out of the question, but this is the first time I've achieved really good bite-through skin. The air flow on that pit and the high temp did a great job of rendering the fat. My only regrets are maybe not dry brining longer or not wet brining, but I don't think I'd have gotten the skin that good. Thanks for looking! Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Dustin

Your 2021 Turkey cook was much like mine. I don't know your set up but I'm guessing that if you had lightly foiled yours for part of the cook, your skin might not have gotten as dark as it did. My mistake was using butter to coat the skin instead of Avocado Oil. But I'm willing to be your turkey tasted amazing, mine sure did.

Back