Turkey Fryer Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you need to do is as you pull out, keep injecting the flavor. Pull out until just b4 you pull all the way out, then dive down at another angle and repeat. But yes, it will be streaky, but with you moving the needle all around, it shoud "spread the wealth". Don't forget the Tony Chachere's seasoning!!! Plus, if am using fresh oil, I will season it w/ thick sliced bacon once the oil gets up to temp. It fries the bacon, flavors the oil and gives you something to munch on while frying.

Kevin, that is exactly what I do and was trying to explain. Thanks for saying it better. I like that bacon idea. That will give me something to eat while I'm watching the turkey fry. How much do you use?

I usually go to SAMS and get the 3# package of the good stuff. I think it adds more flavor than the thin sliced bacon. But it all depends...I got the bacon idea from a Cajun/Creol cookbook (I'll get the name later) on one of his fried chicken recipies.

Tonight is the first trial run of the Masterbuilt Electric Turkey Fryer. Doing up a batch of fried chicken in it. I will give a report on it's use, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and will also post some pics.

Talk to you all later.

Tried out the Masterbuilt Fryer for the first time tonight with a batch of fried chicken. First impression; this thing is pretty big, I had to put it on the stove to use it comfortably. Second, it is pretty powerful, my wife tried to use the microwave while I was frying and it tripped the circuit breaker.
Lastly and I'll have to check this next use when I have more time, I don't know how accurate the internal thermometer is. The unit told me it was up to temp (385) My Taylor digital was reading 364.

But all in all, did a good job on the chicken. I think this would be a great unit for smaller turkeys and I would be interessted to see how it handles a seafood boil.

Enjoy the pics

Fried Chicken

Man, that thing looks BIG!! Nice though...If I didn't already have 2 smaller fryers...
icon_biggrin.gif

My fryer is supposed to be coming tom in the mail.. hopefully if i can get enough oil ill be doinga lil turkey for the weekend...

holly smokes i see what you mean when you say its a lil big.. wow it took up alot of space on your stove top...

did it steam or stink up your kitchen.. cant wait to see it tom

take ccare

Mords,

There are three vent holes in the lid, which I kept beneath my exhaust fan. There was a deep fry odor in the kitchen, I just cracked a window. Clean-up not as bad as I imagined.

The battery operated pump that I purchased worked great. Filtered all the oil and returned it right back to the original container. Only lost about 2-3 cups.

I just got my fryer today!!!

Everyone at work had a comment to say about it. it was the the talk of the town.. someppl had heard about frying turkeys and MOST had not.. pretty cool..

thanks for telling me that you put it under you exhaust.. i dont have an exhaust fan in my kitchen. i think im going to use it outside on my porch.....i didnt purchase the pump.. im going to try and put it all back without one..

oh ya and now i have to go and find a few gallons of peanut/conola oil....thanks for the tip bruce.. hopefully ill do some coooking tom.. if it doesnt rain.. ill let ya guys know how it works about...

ps what kinda oil did you use and how much..?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
i didnt purchase the pump.. im going to try and put it all back without one..

oh ya and now i have to go and find a few gallons of peanut/conola oil

ps what kinda oil did you use and how much..? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one time that I fried turkeys (cold Christmas day) filtering the oil back into the containers was such a pain in the a$$ that, if I ever plan on cranking that fryer up again, I WILL HAVE the pump or whatever is the top recommendation on this site IN STOCK before starting.

Most folks in these parts use peanut oil for the outdoor fryers because of the high temp abilities.

Mords,

I used peanut oil. I only used 1 gallon which was enough for the chicken. You'll probably only find peanut oil in 5 gallon boxes.

I am posting a link to the oil pump. It worked great. I don't know how I deep fried turkeys without this thing.Oil Pump Filter

ya, im going to take a ride to costco today and see if i can get some peanut oil ill see if i can get a 3 galllon one...but ill take waht i can get....
also...

holy moly this thing is HUGE....wow its big...i was thinking thta i can also use this as a big crock pot.. but then i ssaw it has a timer on it.. but neways......

reg your oil pump.....ive read reviews on amazon that it comes with three filters only cuz thats how many times itll work till it dies on ya......neways ill see if costco has something like that there.....itll be a learning experince for me....

ill let ya konw how it goes on sun...hopefully i would like to make a turkey today some buff wings...

im going to use it outside cuz im going ot have my kids running around the house all day...

ps.. how long does it take for the oil to cool down to a safe temp....thanks bruce ill tty sun hopefully with pics and update of the new toy

Mords,

If you can't find it at CostCo, Lowe's in Brooklyn has peanut/canola oil, and the Home Depot in Brooklyn has pure peanut oil. If you want smaller containers, you can usually find 5 liter jugs (much smaller than 3 or 3.5 gallon jugs!) at Asian grocery markets (and I KNOW you have those in Queens).

Thanks Art for the tip....i actualyl dindt end up going this fri...it was pouring rain and since i want to you it outside i have to wait for it to stop raining........
i didnt think of HOmedepot but i think the better bet would be to go to those Asian markets.. yes they are all over here.....just down main st is china town.....

thanks for the tips.. ..ill let ya konw how it works out
take care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back