Turkey Fryer Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've tried stove-top deep frying. I experienced all the annoyances mentioned above: took forever to get high temp (375+), must start with warm or room temp food, but still took forever to recover temp, any moisture on food creates serious risk of overflow/splatter, could only fry a small amount at a time, bad smell in kitchen. I'm told that commercial home fryers (DeLonghi, etc.) aren't very good. Apparently they don't generate enough heat and often break.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stone:
I'm told that commercial home fryers (DeLonghi, etc.) aren't very good. Apparently they don't generate enough heat and often break. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I LOVE MINE. My Delonghi Works great
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
... cant you just do this on your stove top.. i mean it just looks like a big pot with a fire underneath the pot....why cant this be done on a stove top....

confused in queens
icon_rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basic answer, no. Most home stoves don't have the btu's to do it. It will take forever to get that volume of oil to temp. Then put a cold 12-15 lb. turkey in there... you'll still be sitting there at breakfast, waiting for it to get warm.

That's a high powered fire on the turkey fryer.

hey guys im back....i know i know thats not what happens everytime someone uses their turky frier...its just that...i was expecting a presentation on how effective or how good the fryers are...and then i see the guys in full fire outfits ...it was pretty funny.....and i guess your right it wouldnt work on the stove top.. i think for now.. i wont be gettin one.. however it might be nice to try sometime ..maybe ill go to someoneelses deck and try it....heheh.. take care guys .. thanks for the info....

Mords, You can try it on my deck Buddy
icon_eek.gif
. I'm tearing it down and puting in a concrete patio.Save me a lot of time
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

icon_smile.gif
ShopKo in our area, in there close out at the front of the store had turkey cookers for $9.99. Thought about buying one just for and extra at that price.

Charlie

Just deep fried a 20 pounder yesterday. We took a couple years off, because the first one didn't turn out so good. Problem? Our thermometer wasn't calibrated correctly. We took care of that yesterday, and the result was DELISH!

I believe we purchased ours at Home Depot. All of the warehouse stores usually carry them this time of year, along with all of the discount stores, i.e. Walmart and Target. After holiday sales are the best time to pick one of these up.

Another thing the burner is good to use for is wok cooking. Most home stoves (even my gas power burner) cannot generate enough BTU's for proper wok cooking. I've seen the outdoor wok at BBQ's Galore, but they are $200. This baby can do double duty. Although it sits lower to ground, the other wok burner is high at waist level, and it comes with a family sized stainless steel wok, any Asian grocery usually sells family sized woks which you can use on this burner.

Bruce, i take it that the electric ones are much safer the the propane ones....are you supposed to used the electric ones inside or its still recomended to use it outside.......

does it work just as effective.......
i dont have the area for a REAL turkey fryer.. i may have to settle and buy one like you posted...wadda ya think...thanks

Mord,

I personally believe all turkey fryers are safe, it's usually operator error that causes the problem.

The fryer i posted about is sold as an indoor, counter top unit. There is a video on the site that shows them frying a turkey indoors. I do believe though that on a nice day it could be moved outside and used out of doors.

I have never seen this unit operate, except on the video on their site. There are other uses also, fish fry, fried chicken, french fries, on and on.

I'm starting to become more curious of this unit...I wonder if the wife would mind......

thats what i was thinking too.....it would be anice comp... i forgot who but if you do a search you can find a video from UL LABS showing one of these suckers going up in flames...but yes its usually operators fault but i really dont have any room for error on my part.. i have a 20x15 porch and if oil spills is going all over and over my porch...so i rather stick with a more controlled cooking utensil.. i think this is nice compromise im going to look up some info on it now....i cant wait to fry a bird and like you said other things as well......

however in jan when i go to la i have a friend who has a double turkey fryer.. the real deal.. so ill try it in la then.....
thanks

ps. i just watched the entire video.....wow, this looks very tempting.....i wonder if suzan has one of these....she must have the propane one right.....neways....im gonna do a lil more research in this but i think this is the compromise i was looking for.....and i guess you can prob (even though it says not to) put it outside as not to steam up the house, or the lil kidies running around......
thanks again

Its kinda interesting to go back on these thread and see all the info i have learned over the past 4 months just in regards to turkey fryers......

Larry, remember what you said about frying indoors..well it seems that there IS a way to do it.....

its seems the one TURK AND SURF that bruce remomended is a really good one that can do upto a 14 pound turkey and can do it indoors...(im sure you can also use it on your patio)
ive looked at abunch of reviews from many diff sites and it looks like ive found one...(i think im going to buy it..just have to figure out with model)

but neways....wow cant wait to get it!!!

thanks a lot guys....and yes ive looked at that video again with the firefighter guys and the turkey fryer.....

I have seen a fryer on TV recently that claims to be safe for indoor usage. Well I love my fryer but when you dunk a turkey into it the smell and vapors arent something I want inside my house. After a little time has passed it smells good but to me the first few minutes are not very pleasant. My windows would fog up! lol

My brown sugar brined deep fried turkey was a big hit Thanksgiving day. I have been sentenced for life and a day as the turkey cook for my family functions.
DP

That piont has been brought up before....if i would use the indoor model such as the turk and surf i would prob end up using it on my porch....just so it doesnt smell up the house like you said....

good point..thanks

so now i need a turkey fryer and a rotiss....

I am wondering what most of you do to prep your turkeys for the deep fry. Do you brine and inject? Brine only, or inject only? What's the best result you've had so far?

Jane,
I usually inject mine with a recipe I got years ago. I have also injected with Tony Chachere's garlic butter (the home made recipe ended up being very expensive by comparison). Rub exterior and cavity with Tony Chacere's 'extra' spice. Or use a 'blackening' rub that I make up. Mmmmm mmmm, fried turkey.

But back to the turkey fryer question.. I have a Bayou Classic. The one with the large square base. Works great when I 'hook' up with my cajun buddies a throw a hundred qt pot filled with crawfish on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back