Turkey Fryer Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, Mords, this is one toy I don't have. I sure have thought about it tho, and explored the options out there, but I'm such a klutz, all that super hot oil makes me verrrrry nervous. I still think of boiling oil as something you pour over your castle walls onto marauders.

Now, mebbe if I were to taste some deep fried turkey, I'd get over my fears....!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:Now, mebbe if I were to taste some deep fried turkey, I'd get over my fears....! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Suz... You poor negelected girl. You've never been fed 'Deep Fried' turkey? We'll have to fix that error somehow. Quick somebody... Fry Suzan a turkey.
icon_biggrin.gif

Mordechai, I have had a fryer now for 3 years. I bought it after the Holidays at Target for $25.00. We have loved it and use it all the time with no problems. I think the deal is drink AFTER the cook and don’t drop the bird into a full pot of oil...just like you wouldn’t drop something like that into a full pot of boiling water. We use ours for wings, turkeys, chickens, and have even had friends do a couple prime ribs in them. You can whip up 10 pounds of wings in 10 minutes. For me the key is to not cook bigger than a 15-pound Turkey in my 30 QT. Pot. I know exactly how much oil to put in every time, and when it boils and bubbles it never comes close to splashing out. I use an Eastman pump, and keep my oil in the cool garage, and it lasts for months. I would not spend big $$ unless you got money to burn. Find a sturdy stand, that’s the key. Plus you can use the burner to start your chimney of charcoal real fast
icon_biggrin.gif
!
Just another fun tool…fire…smoke…hot oil…lets see, what are we forgetting?

I agree that a 15 pounder is the right size. My 20 pounder was a bit tight, and it touched the sides of the pot.

I wish I had purchased all the accessories that are available with the fryer, so I can do other things besides turkey, and have searched for them, but I can't seem to find anything without buying another fryer unit.

Jane, do you have a kitchen supply store in Tucson? That is where I purchased my 30 QT. colander ($19.00) as well as I found a nice 5 gallon food safe bucket that has a snap on lid as well as convenient measuring marks on the side ($12.00). The colander is nice for both the wings and smaller chickens. The 6 pound chickens can fall through the turkey holder unless you really fiddle with them and they burn a little on the bottom. I have a system set up to suspend it over the bottom, or I have also used the colander.
You can also usually find bigger pots at these stores that are great for crawfish or shrimp boils. We did 40 pounds of crawfish in my neighbors 60 QT. Pot. Now we plan on doing that every year...

Some thoughts:

I had my first deep fried turkey several years back and swore I would never do one in the oven again. It's that good. Susan, you officially have no excuse.

I agree that it's usually user error that causes trouble with these things. Turn off your burner before you put the turkey in, and turn it off again before you take it out. And have an ABC fire extinguisher handy.

I, too, am curious to hear how others are prepping their birds for deep-frying. I've been injecting a spicy marinade, but I end up getting streaks in the meat that are spicy, but large portions that are not (the injection doesn't penetrate beyond its original hole, and even though I inject in loads of places, I still miss spots).

We have BBQ's Galore and Home Depot, where I purchased the Bayou Classic 30 qt. Does brand matter with the inserts, or just size? I know BBQ's Galore does not carry the Bayou Classic brand, but another, and if the inserts are universal, then I'm on my way.

Try Economy Restaurant Supply Inc, 712 N Stone Ave 520-624-0301. They call them steamer baskets, and they have a 30 QT for $30.60. A lot more than I had to spend up here, I am sure with some searching you can find it cheaper down there. We have several commercial kitchen supply stores in Seattle. They prove to be good inexpensive spots for picking up things like pots and knives and kitchen tools. Check out Arizona Restaurant Supply in Tucson, they look like they might be a better spot. Any 30 qt steamer basket will work. The handle and nuts will prevent use of the lid, but the cooks are so short, it has never been an issue.

Wow Todd, Thanks. I usually hit Standard Restaurant Supply, and didn't know about the other two you mentioned. I'll give them a call.

Hi Art:

I also experienced streaks of injection in my bird. Although my mop/BBQ sauce mixture was good and spicy, it didn't spread itself out in more of an area than the injection site.

I certainly don't mind the prep days before to brine, dry, rub and inject for optimum flavor and tenderness, but since I've only done this twice, all you seasoned frying experts are greatly sought for your recommendations.

As soon as I hear, I am firing up my fryer again, well, after this turkey in the fridge is gone!

No problem. My in-laws just bought a place at The Gallery, some golf resort 20 miles north of Tucson. I am guessing the wife and kids and I will get to visit there next year. Looks like Tucson has some good eating spots.
I have always brined mine and they come out awesome. I have had the same issues with injecting and given up. I will give a warning, two of my buddies did the apple juice brine for their deep fried birds and wow did they come out looking nasty I should add that he said the meat was incredibly moist and very good inspite of the appearance. Must have been all that sugar in the juice?
But the basic brines have always worked well. Alton Browns veg stock brine is always a big hit, but kind of $$$ for all that stock and one use.

My beer can turkey was nearly that black this time! I''m thinking it was the pancake syrup that went into my injector mix this time, but boy the skin didn't taste a bit burnt, just spicy (from the rub).

I haven't had a bad problem with the injection flavor just being around the insertion area. Although, I inject the day before (up to 24 hrs) and work the needle around in the meat, injecting in many different directions through each piercing of flesh. For each needle mark, I have injected in probably 4-6 directions. That plus doing it the day before, I am basically brining by injection.
I will try a standard brine in the future to see how that goes. Always willing to try something new and hopefully better.

Thanks Chris. I will definitely try your method the next time around. Brining and injecting the night before, being careful to spread it around at the injection point.

Thanks Todd. Isn't it amazing how good something can taste when it's black and we think it's ruined? I live on the complete opposite side of Tucson from your in-laws. In the near future, Tucson will be butting borders with Casa Grande, central point between here and Phoenix. That particular area has seen the largest growth over the years here. Fry on...

The one I did Thanksgiving was brined in a simple brown sugar, kosher salt, apple juice mix. After brine, washed and dried well then rubbed a blend of kosher salt, garlic powder, black pepper. Simple, moist and crispy tasty skin. I do like the flavor of a WSM smoked turkey and I wonder how a bird would turn out after low temp smoking then fry? It might not be very safe though (bacteria)..
DP

Todd: I was curious as to your comment on AB's $$$ vegetable stock brine, so I looked it up in his book. I found the one that marries it with orange juice, both a quart of each. Is this the one?

A suggestion, which I've seen recommended on this board before, for a great tasting, inexpensive, good quality base of any flavor, I use Better Than Bouillon, almost exclusively. It's not gluten free, though. I picked up some Penzey's bases in KC when I was there, I never have ordered them, and to tell you the truth, BTB is right up there. I just paid $3.50 for a jar that makes 38 cups. I think you can find it cheaper, in chicken only at TJ's, vegetable I saw in Safeway when I picked up some beef and turkey this last time. Also, I need a base that I can make concentrated stock with, which a paste/base allows you to do. If that's a good brine, and you recommend it, I'll try it next time. Let me know if this is the one.

Hi Jane, the AB brine I was talking about can be found in this web site on the home page, click on the "basic brine" topic, then "All About Brining", then click on “Recipes to get you started" then scroll down to the Good Eats Brine. It calls for 1 gallon of Vegetable Stock, which I guess by itself is not that bad, but I have been using my fryer a lot, and when you compare the price of the stock to just a gallon of salted water…well, I don’t know that I have noticed a any real flavor difference. A more discerning tongue may be able to notice? I just modify the Basic Brine and have been happy with the results. I'll have to try a side-by-side taste test sometime.

Gosh, that was fast! Do you hit the refresh button like I do????

A gallon is a lot, so I will probably do something for the fryer that doesn't incorporate fruit juice AND sugar in it to avoid blackening. I've never made any other brine but the apple one, so my experimentation has just begun. I don't think I can wait to do turkey again, so I'll try something else, just don't know what. The restaurant supply I usually go to had 30 qt. steamer baskets for $40. Pass on that place. How many uses out of your oil do you usually get?

Turk N Surf

I looked around cuz i didnt want to pay 150 for this baby....and i found the cheapest price, for the newest model (it has the spout which looks to be a nice feature if you want to reuse the oil). its from the site of the guy who makes that "set it and forget it" rotis..mind ya i used that many times in my single days...but any case... i looked everywhere and im pretty sure this is the cheapest out there.. i will prob be buying it tom.....

take care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back