Turkey Fryer Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My steamer basket was $19.00; Lowes in our area sells them for that price as well. I use my oil for several months...I have never actually counted the uses. The cheapest I have found it is $17.00 for three gallons at both Target and home-Depot, on sale after the Holidays. I use a Pump to clean and move my oil back to its storage container and it works real well. Lowes sells this pump for $16.00.

Mords, I am wondering how the spout would really save any time. As far as I know there are two methods for cleaning the oil. Using the pump I have, or draining it through cheesecloth and a funnel, back into the container? I don’t see how the spout would work...unless you drained it right into the funnel. You will have to shut it off repeatedly, because the cheesecloth method is slow. It seems like your set on the electric version, if so, that does look like a good deal you have found.

I think I need to do three turkeys at once, one fried, one smoked, and one on the Kettle! Man I do love foooooood!!!! Happy cooking!

Mords; just so you know I went to Bass Pro Shop today and picked one up. If you check their web site, www.basspro.com they have it for $89.00

Regarding the drain spout, I see it being used more for draining water out of the pot if you need to, for example if you did a seafood boil or steamed some shrimp or corn or something. Even if you don't use it for anything, I suppose it's a nice feature to have and it's not taking up any space.

JIM: I did a search today on the web on stoaring cooking oil, I didn't find too many articles or sites that were as strict as the guy Chez quoted. I've stored used Peanut Oil in my basement for several weeks and never had a problem.

Hmmmmm, I don’t know about that...of course I'm no Dr. My Internet research and my own experience make me feel good about re-using the oil for a while. I have used it for three months during the winter when it is easy to keep cool. No doubt, it is easy to tell when it has gone bad, visually and with the old sniff test!
As long as I keep the Temp to about 350, and filter it well, and store it cool and dark, it seems to last a while. I will have to check into this further…don’t want to get neighbors or myself sick! But 6 days!!! That seems pretty darn short shelf life to me. I think once in the past three years, when we cooked about 8 birds one day, and let the temp get up to 375-400, that oil was a single day batch…oil discolored and never seemed to recover.

Thanks tom bruce and jim, for your replies...Bruce, i guess you DID find it cheaper thanks...and tom i see your point with the spout thing, but like ya said...doesnt hurt much to have it.. and now its only 90 bux......thanks jim for the info on the oils as well as tom.....
gonna get this thing today.......(yes, im set on the electric model)

You have been more than helpfull.. thanks

At the demo BBQ's Galore had here a few weeks ago, they said the oil can be kept for six months stored in the refrigerator. That's where I have mine. I think they fried up about 7 or 8 turkeys that day. Don't know if they were going to purge it, but probably so.

They sell a blend of canola and peanut. We bought straight p'nut at Home Depot and I had to add some canola to cover my bird. Think it was $23, Costco here sells it for $29. Thanks for all the health department links.

Bruce, just lettin ya know i put in a purchase to bass pro.....yup....i did it....so it should be on the way to my house as we speak.. Ill post back when i get it and when i use it.....

dont worry suzan ill be carefull....ill let ya konw when i get it...

I just returned from Lowe's. I bought my basket for $19.97 - THANKS TODD! Probably used a couple dollars in gas, since it's on the other side of town, BUT, I did find out they are leveling a shopping center right near me for the a brand new Lowe's!!! Like it much better than Home Deep-Pocket.

But that's not all I got, I just couldn't help myself. I bought a battery powered oil pump, with extra filters, a cast iron smoker box for the wonderful pellets when they arrive, and a new metal tipped 2 oz. injector, which is way nicer than the plastic one that came with my fryer. Oh, I'm gonna be in heaven, if I could just figure out what to fry next.

Mords, you're gonna love it!

Jane,

Bought the same oil pump yesterday when I was at Bass Pro Shop along with some extra filters. Great minds think alike!!!!!

----------------------------------------------

Good for you Mords, I think we're both gonna love this thing.

Bruce and Jane, I love my pump too! When I bought it at Lowes it was about $16.00. A couple things, it filters the oil much faster when its about 100 degrees, the cooler it gets the longer it seems to take. Also, don’t let that baby run dry for long at all or it will burn out quick. It cannot suck all the oil out; there will be a little left that I usually discard in a can. Then I wipe the inside with paper towels and am done.

My pump was $19.97, I have to take back the smoker box, per Candy, which I'll post about in the other thread on the pellets.

It looks like it's going to be another turkey. These two sure didn't last long, they're gone. Going to try a fresh Diestel<sp> next, they've got 'em where I shop in stock. Maybe we'll have enough left this time so my husband can get his enchiladas. Who can recommend their favorite injection for me?

In regards to storing oil. I filter out the oil and keep it in the beer fridge. Just used it on Thanksgiving Day and it was 3 months old. Nobody got sick so i'll have to agree that 6 days is prob for resturants and such (law suits).
icon_rolleyes.gif
JMO Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jane Cherry:Who can recommend their favorite injection for me? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is the recipe for the 'injecton' I make.

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Creole mustard
6 oz garlic juice
6 oz onion juice
3 oz red pepper sauce
½ cup Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
8 oz water

Blend the first seven ingredients in a jar and refrigerate for two days (everytime I open the fridge to get something out, I shake it).
Using a large chef's syringe, inject the turkey with the marinade. Rub turkey with additional mustard and season generously with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. If you are a more heat person, use the Tony's 'extra' spice.
note added on edit: I inject the day before, and most times do the rub the day before. Put turkey on a rack, in a pan, in the fridge. Add more rub 45 min before cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
Chris: How does one get this amount of juice from garlic and onions? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jane, you buy it in a little bottles.
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, they sell it in bottles (size and shape of vannilla extract). Should be on the grocery isle with the spices.

Jane I found that if you have a juicer you can produce your own onion and gralic juice for much less than what they charge you for those 6 oz bottles.
Jim

Thanks guys. Of all the gadgets I own, a juicer isn't one of them. We've been talking about it, we see the infomerical all the time for one. Meanwhile, I guess it's going to be the bottled stuff. I can't wait to try this injection, looks totally N'Orleans-y! Ewwwww-Weeeee!

I hope you like it Jane. I have on occasion, clarified butter and added to the injection. Adds a buttery flavor (of course) to the spicy mix.
I'm making myself hungry.

Besides the 24 wait after injecting, is there any other secret? The couple times I have tried it (only in Turkey so far) it has ended up in streaks or pockets of flavor? Is that just the nature of injecting? Too many people like this, so I am thinking I need to give it another go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back