Tuna Steaks last night

looks good, rare at all????
Or cook all the pink out?
Oh no.................perfectly rare with a nice sear. Tuna is the only protein I believe in using really high temps on. Which is why I defaulted to lump charcoal rather than my Genesis. I could get even higher temps on my Wolf grill, but it's harder to pull that monster out

Lately, I've been lingering around the tuna and swordfish steaks at the grocer. Please be careful -- you're about to push me over the edge. I need a trip to Costco and that could do it...

I found some tuna steaks in the freezer my daughter left here.
Your pics are making me want to cook them.

Do you think using the vortex will be overkill?

So I got some of the Ahi Tuna steaks at Sam's. Pleasantly surprised with quality. Sushi grade? No. Marinated with a little Tamari, ginger, sesame oil and garlic But still good. Fired up some lump on my little Jumbo Joe and grilled them to perfectionView attachment 56213View attachment 56214View attachment 56215
They have those nice Ahi steaks at Walmart too Larry. They're decent quality and delicious. I typically sear them in a hot iron skillet with a couple of TBS of olive oil.

They have those nice Ahi steaks at Walmart too Larry. They're decent quality and delicious. I typically sear them in a hot iron skillet with a couple of TBS of olive oil.
I can't even bring myself to step into my local Walmarts. There are Walmartians there and on the rare occasion I do go in there, I come out feeling like I need a shower. I honestly hate it. Only going in there occasionally for motor oil or anti freeze and even then MAYBE once a year. The last time I was in there about 3 or 4 weeks ago was the first time in like 18 mos. And I would never trust any food from there either. As I see all kind of food items scattered throughout the store and who knows if they simply put them back or what? Nah, even my Sam's club is beginning to be a little like that. Hopefully the increase in membership fees clears some of that out :D I am sure there are Walmarts with lesser percentages of Walmartians but here in 61108 land? Awful

I found some tuna steaks in the freezer my daughter left here.
Your pics are making me want to cook them.

Do you think using the vortex will be overkill?
A vortex would work. Last time I grilled tuna, it was with an inverted chimney with the grate on the chimney. I used lump and the coals were red hot. Only reason for doing this is it didn't need much lump to get that much heat and that was the only thing I was grilling.

How we do grilled tuna. A good amount of fresh cracked pepper on the outside, the hottest sear I can muster, served with some pickled ginger and maybe some green onion, and Ponzu sauce or sometimes a spicey tangy Yuzu sauce. Those "carrot like thingies are pickled burdock root or yamagobo, which have a crunch like a carrot and a salty-smoky taste. Steamed rice is optional. Good beer is mandatory. ;)
tetaki plate.jpgDSC_5132.JPG

Back