Tuna Steaks last night

How we do grilled tuna. A good amount of fresh cracked pepper on the outside, the hottest sear I can muster, served with some pickled ginger and maybe some green onion, and Ponzu sauce or sometimes a spicey tangy Yuzu sauce. Those "carrot like thingies are pickled burdock root or yamagobo, which have a crunch like a carrot and a salty-smoky taste. Steamed rice is optional. Good beer is mandatory. ;)
View attachment 59175View attachment 59176
Very nice presentation and the tuna looks great!

That's some darn nice looking tuna right there. Over near where my late sister used to live there is a Japanese store and they have all kinds of those exotic ingredients. But, here where Moses lost his sandals I cannot even find actual "deli". The people here don't even know what it is! Let alone exotic ingredients like that. Around here if it ain't Mexican you're looking for fuggedaboutit

That's some darn nice looking tuna right there. Over near where my late sister used to live there is a Japanese store and they have all kinds of those exotic ingredients. But, here where Moses lost his sandals I cannot even find actual "deli". The people here don't even know what it is! Let alone exotic ingredients like that. Around here if it ain't Mexican you're looking for fuggedaboutit
At least people where you live know what an Italian Beef is. I lost count trying to explain it to people in Michigan.

At least people where you live know what an Italian Beef is. I lost count trying to explain it to people in Michigan.
Actually they don't LOL. They only know Portillos and there is sooooooo much more to it than one chain store. Besides, IMO since Portillos has franchised they've lost the quality they used have. Sadly the way Lou Malnatti's has as well. So many of these companies decide to expand far from where they originated and they lose sight of what made them so sought after in the first place. Lou's has degraded to a product I can rarely even eat anymore, I don't much bother with Portillo's either. Though I know how to make the real thing (Italian Beef) taught to me by my grandma and my mother. I took the best of what they both offered and make it my own. So good I think both of them come down from heaven and kiss me on the cheek and whisper "buon" in my ear

Yeah, it looks like you'd have to drive clear over to where Moses parted the sea, Evanston, Arlington Heights, etc..

I found some tuna steaks in the freezer my daughter left here.
Your pics are making me want to cook them.

Do you think using the vortex will be overkill?
Vortex is perfect for searing tuna - there's an old Alton Brown good eats episode where he puts a grill grate on top of a chimney and sears the tuna that way which is very similar to coking over the vortex.

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like you'd have to drive clear over to where Moses parted the sea, Evanston, Arlington Heights, etc..
I've been in chicago a fair amount this year and have found I like Buona Beef better than Portillos... I've not had a chance to try any of the smaller non-chain places yet, but hopefully on my next visit.

I’ve never had any luck finding good fish at Costco. Although those photos look pretty good! We have pretty good local fresh fish markets here. Plus, my friend who has been making surfing trips to Indonesia for the past thirty years and is now fluent in Indonesian started going down to the harbor here in Honolulu where the fishing boats come in, to practice speaking Indonesian with the Indonesian crew members. Since they aren’t allowed to leave the harbor area, he would bring them cooking supplies etc from around town and they would give him fish. So we would end up with tons of ahi and mahi. Our go to way of grilling is just coating the pieces of fish with about a 50/50 mixture of butter and Worcestershire sauce. Grill to a little less than rare. Very simple. Always very good.

Well just look at a map of the US and where I live. And while I live near a smaller mid sized metro center, it about as backwards as you can possibly imagine. In terms of culture and cuisine. I can't even get a good corned beef or pastrami sandwich here! Let alone a seafood shop. So we're stuck with buying things like this from a local grocery or the Sam's/Costco twins. When we lived in Chicago we lived on the NW side of the city, walking distance to about everything, 4 doors away from one of the best fish shops around (Hagen's) and I could come home from work, walk down the alley to Hagen's tell them I had the grill going and they'd make a nice suggestion. Nothing like that now.

Well just look at a map of the US and where I live. And while I live near a smaller mid sized metro center, it about as backwards as you can possibly imagine. In terms of culture and cuisine. I can't even get a good corned beef or pastrami sandwich here! Let alone a seafood shop. So we're stuck with buying things like this from a local grocery or the Sam's/Costco twins. When we lived in Chicago we lived on the NW side of the city, walking distance to about everything, 4 doors away from one of the best fish shops around (Hagen's) and I could come home from work, walk down the alley to Hagen's tell them I had the grill going and they'd make a nice suggestion. Nothing like that now.
Larry, when did you move?

I spent about 6 years in Galesburg, a few hours south of Chicago. My favorite, most memorable sandwich was actually a gyro (forget the place, but that was the best I've ever had.)

Growing up on the NH seacoast provided some incredible seafood, but I had never even heard of a gyro until college in Illinois.

Sorry to digress.

I grew up in Chicago, until high school, then lived very close by. Literally could walk to city outskirts. Spent some years away. until married current wife and moved back into the city. We left due to not being able to afford to buy a home and moved to Woodstock IL. in 88. Then a few years later out to here. Been here since late 92.

Back