Trying to decide between EX4 and EX6

Todd Monson

Trying to decide on the EX4 or EX6. Mainly would be cooking for two. The only reason I am considering the larger model is I’ve read that the EX4 has a hot spot in the middle. I would think this would be an issue when cooking a brisket, or so I’ve heard. Any thoughts on this?

Look at the size of the one I just ordered. IIRC it's even bigger than the EX6. That being said my current pellet popper is ridiculously even cooking. Even so, I prefer cooking on the middle rack. I find airflow is best that way. So, I wanted a grill with plenty of spread out room. And we're only 2 nearly 80% of the time. I've also cut gas grills down to only my Wolf and my Q320. And truth be told if the grates from my Wolf will work in the new ZGrill it too may go. Though it does do pizza that reminds me of sitting lakeside on Lago Iseo at Il Forno restaurant in Italy :D Though bet your bottom dollar I am going to have wife make some pizza dough and crank one of my pellet grills up to max (500 deg) and putting some of my wife's finest on it

All Smokefires have a hot spot near the middle. Cook that Brisket on the top cooking grate and that
s further from the fire. On most grills the left side is cooler than the right side. Just use it like you used a two zone fire on your kettle. The EX4 is big enough for a small family.

All Smokefires have a hot spot near the middle. Cook that Brisket on the top cooking grate and that
s further from the fire. On most grills the left side is cooler than the right side. Just use it like you used a two zone fire on your kettle. The EX4 is big enough for a small family.
Thanks for the reply Lew. I’d like to see one in person but no stores in my area stock them. Will a brisket fit the top grate of the EX4?

Yes! I have an EX6 and an EX4. The EX4 is at my grandsons house. For both grills I bought a 14" deep replacement top shelf and do most of my cooking up there. Yo can pull the shelf out a couple of inches and let your brisket hang over the front and back. It works.

I love my EX6, LOVE it, but I also cook for the two of us, 6 kids, and my parents. I find that I don’t always need the size of the 6, and will be adding a 4.

Whether or not we be would ever see any major difference in fuel efficiency between the two or not, only someone like Lew would potentially be able to say.

Trying to decide on the EX4 or EX6. Mainly would be cooking for two. The only reason I am considering the larger model is I’ve read that the EX4 has a hot spot in the middle. I would think this would be an issue when cooking a brisket, or so I’ve heard. Any thoughts on this?
I had the same problem. Ultimately decided to get the EX6, better to have more space than not enough.

I love my EX6, LOVE it, but I also cook for the two of us, 6 kids, and my parents. I find that I don’t always need the size of the 6, and will be adding a 4.

Whether or not we be would ever see any major difference in fuel efficiency between the two or not, only someone like Lew would potentially be able to say.
Pellet usage is one thing I checked while comparing the two. It wasn’t a precise comparison but my EX6 did burn noticeably more pellets. The EX6 cook chamber has 50% more volume than the EX4 so it makes sense .

I have a stupid question Lew , Bruno or anyone that knows this, how are upgrades to the smoke fire done. Through your phone , laptop ? Is it slow as I have only a phone hotspot right now.

I only have the EX6 as well. Like Lew, I do most of my cooking on the upper grate. And I only have the standard Weber grate not the custom deeper grate like Lew. Both sizes use the exact same auger, burn pot, fan etc…
Only drawback as others have mentioned is pellet use. So if you don’t mind spending more on pellets I would go EX6.
But the EX4 is plenty big enough to cook a brisket, even on the upper grate, so you can use drip pan on lower grate.
I’m also sure the EX4 would be plenty big for my uses. I only bought the larger because I found a deal.

Someone is selling an EX6 on OfferUp near me For $650. I was going to go with a new ex4 based on this thread but now Im wondering if $650 is worth going for a used larger size. It’s not like a kettle. Lots of moving parts. Should I run the other way and go new smaller Ex4?

Someone is selling an EX6 on OfferUp near me For $650. I was going to go with a new ex4 based on this thread but now Im wondering if $650 is worth going for a used larger size. It’s not like a kettle. Lots of moving parts. Should I run the other way and go new smaller Ex4?
At half the price of what I just paid for mine I would give it serious consideration. I love the size of the EX6.

Yeah, and that is only what they're "asking". Who knows $500 may take it off their hands. I know I went with a smaller (EX4 sized) with my Member's Mark. In the end I love it so much but only wish for 2 things from it (now that I have learned how cool pellet cooking is). That it was bigger and that it had WIFI control and monitoring. So, instead of buying one large now I will have one small and one large.

If it”s a Gen 2, having the new, one piece auger, I would sure give it a good look.

I’d certainly look into it. If seller is willing to let you fire it up and make sure it can at least do that, boom sold and load ‘er up I say!

Back