Trying something new

When I make Italian beef I usually just use rump roast which is a very lean cut of beef. I bake it in the oven a little past rare & once it is refrigerated I slice it paper thin. Regardless of recipes I can never replicate the aju gravy to something like Portillo's that I occasionally receive from a delivery service around the holidays from family members many miles away.

Do I want to play with the Traeger? Maybe. Will I play with the Traeger? At some point, probably.
This is like the first taste of that heroin :D My first taste was a $199 closeout from Sam's Club. Only regret buying that one is I did not buy 2 while I could have. :D But, I really love my Member's Mark (having cooked the roast shown here) to beautiful results, and I really love my Big Z. So be careful you may find yourself hooked :D

For Italian beef, I rely on how I was taught by my grandma and my mother. Except I mod it just a little and use chuck and my pressure cooker. So what used to take my mother and my grandma a multi step process over a couple days, I get done in under an hour and have butter soft melt in your mouth beef and full flavored gravy.
It's so good I can almost hear mom and my grandma whispering in my ear Bravo Figlio Mio Tute' Bene'

Well for giggles and grins I took out the cold roast, did some very thin (well thin as I could get them) slices for a cold sandwich for my lunch. It was great! I tried to sort of shave it. Much as I would hate to buy yet another piece of equipment, somehow a decent meat slicer sounds more and more sensible

Well for giggles and grins I took out the cold roast, did some very thin (well thin as I could get them) slices for a cold sandwich for my lunch. It was great! I tried to sort of shave it. Much as I would hate to buy yet another piece of equipment, somehow a decent meat slicer sounds more and more sensible
V slicers or mandolin ( if you have one) work ok in a pinch.
meats gotta be cold.

I wish had a slicer. I do think it would make nice cold roast beef sandwiches. My slicing knives have just a little too much flex on cold beef. Maybe I can try the electric knife and see how it does. But, oh man it was deelish. Went so well with my mashed taters and fresh garden tomatoes with fresh basil, a little reduced balsamic glaze and that special EVOO.
My goal is to find a nice piece of beef that I can make a small roast for me and the boss, we can enjoy on a midweek meal. Bottom round was not it. Sounds like eye of round would not be much better. I don't know about maybe a top round roast?
Any suggestions other than maybe biting the bullet and buying whole tenderloin(s) and using it for smaller roasts rather than steaks?
When ribeyes/rib roast are on sale, try asking your local market to cut a small rib roast. Or, you could ask the butcher to cut off a chuck eye ("Poor Man's Ribeye") roast - basically a 4-6" cut - next time they cut up a chuck roll.

Sorry, but this seems like what I would expect. Without a decent slicer you can't get thin enough not to be chewy (tough) IMO. My preference is to play with chuck roast.

On the other hand, it sounds and looks to me like you succeeded other than not having a slicer. Really THIN slices!

:sneaky: I sold mine before we moved due to down-sizing. Over and over I wish I could still have it, but still can't figure out where I would put it.... And then there is this cleanup....

I’ve fallen victim to having even more “Stuff” than I should! The slicer I got is smaller than I’d have bought had I given it more thought but, it works pretty well.
Now, as for filling the vacuum in a house we have lived in for 32 years? I just bought a countertop ice maker! It was time to use some Cabela’s points. Not a bad piece of equipment for one day in. We shall see.

Yeah, I remember my grandpa when grandma made her beef. Sometimes my dad and I would be there on a Sunday morning after mass. Grandma would have done the first stage of the beef and had it well chilled. We would find him in the basement with his big carbon steel slicing knife and a wetstone beside him. And he would labor down there slicing so carefully and when the knife did not go through correctly he would touch it up on the stone and labor away again. All so on a big Sunday gathering for our then giant family there would be a great feast.
I just made a nice sandwich for supper tonight. Wife is staying at my sister's tonight what with all the stuff going on with my dad. We honestly figured we were gonna need to call the priest for last rites on Monday morning. By the afternoon he was asking for a glass of wine.

We get bottom round roasts from Aldi when they have them. 24-30 hrs Sous Vide at 130 with heavy rub of SPG , chill then slice.
Like buttah...

We get bottom round roasts from Aldi when they have them. 24-30 hrs Sous Vide at 130 with heavy rub of SPG , chill then slice.
Like buttah...
So what I am seeing here (apart from Sous Vide) is maybe if I had done it at a slower temp, over slightly longer time, my initial reaction would have perhaps been a more tender roast? Even served warm but well rested? This is more what I am after. Since my goal here was a nice mid week roast beef and mashed taters meal "on the cheap".

Larry, you cooked that perfectly! When I make a top/bottom/eye round, my intent is to use it as deli style roast beef for sandwiches. I slice it as thin as possible after it’s cooled. After a few days, whatever is left, is warmed with some au jus for a French dip style sandwich with provolone, horseradish etc.

View attachment 79463

View attachment 79462
I do something similar, but use that cut to make Pit Beef. It's a Baltimore thing. Rub it, smoke it until it the internal temp hits 115, then ramp up the heat to warp 10, and sear it. Slice as thinly as possible, against the grain, and serve on a kaiser roll with very thinly sliced sweet onion, horseradish, mayo and a little BBQ sauce.

Well it turned out with out of this world flavor.. Good deep smoke (regardless of what the "haters" say about pellet cookers, perfect color, everything perfect. Right? Wrong.. It was like chewing on a good tasting shoe. Not sure if I could have done anything different

View attachment 79456View attachment 79457
That's the perfect cut for Pit Beef. Look up Meathead's recipe, it's a good one. It does need to be sliced, against the grain as thinly as possible, almost chipped. Serve it on a kaiser roll with horseradish, thinly sliced onions, mayo and BBQ sauce. I use a meat slicer for the beef and the onions.

So what I am seeing here (apart from Sous Vide) is maybe if I had done it at a slower temp, over slightly longer time, my initial reaction would have perhaps been a more tender roast? Even served warm but well rested? This is more what I am after. Since my goal here was a nice mid week roast beef and mashed taters meal "on the cheap".
With the cut you were using, cooking longer at a lower temp, it’s tough to stop it from drying out because it’s sooo lean and nothing to break down like a brisket. This is the ideal cut to sous vide. You can even smoke it first then sous vide for 20-25 hours. You can even ice bath and refrigerate before sous vide. Or sous vide first.

With the cut you were using, cooking longer at a lower temp, it’s tough to stop it from drying out because it’s sooo lean and nothing to break down like a brisket. This is the ideal cut to sous vide. You can even smoke it first then sous vide for 20-25 hours. You can even ice bath and refrigerate before sous vide. Or sous vide first.
I would have to do poor mans sous vide. Put in a sealed vacuum bag, into a pot and on the simmer burner on the stove :D Don't know that I want to buy another toy for just this.

Back