Trying something new

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Been meaning to try this but never found one small enough to give it a go for a week night and not wanting to risk doing one for guests as a "gamble". Found a smallish bottom round roast at Sam's today. Nice fat cap on it, not to pronounced "nerve line". So I thought "why not?". Anyway, basic binder (a little French's yellow mustard, basic S&P after). Fat cap down top rack of the Member's Mark. Running on P1 setting and has settled in about 210 to 220. That is the plan until until internal temp is 130ish in the thickest part. Then a nice rest for 20 minutes wrapped. Served thin sliced, mashed taters on the side and a fresh garden tomato & basilico salad with a light touch of reduced balsamic and some REALLY nice unfiltered EVOO from Sicily.
Thoughts on the cook? Never done one.

Well it turned out with out of this world flavor.. Good deep smoke (regardless of what the "haters" say about pellet cookers, perfect color, everything perfect. Right? Wrong.. It was like chewing on a good tasting shoe. Not sure if I could have done anything different

20230919_192733.jpg20230919_192758.jpg

I did one and followed Malcom Reed for my first one. He does an eye of round but I followed the same. After the first servings I put in the fridge and used the meat slicer for the rest. I took the slices and heated them in the Au Jus and while not tender it was delicious.
1695174987095.png1695175022206.png

Oh yeah good flavor was not the issue. Flavor was nothing short of outstanding. I am not sure if eye of round would be any better. "Eye of Round" sounds "classier" than Bottom Round :D
I thought about sirloin tip roast but I am not fond of something called a roast but it's all held together with netting. I like a roast that is a roast

Larry, you cooked that perfectly! When I make a top/bottom/eye round, my intent is to use it as deli style roast beef for sandwiches. I slice it as thin as possible after it’s cooled. After a few days, whatever is left, is warmed with some au jus for a French dip style sandwich with provolone, horseradish etc.

7918080E-DF61-4CEB-A8DE-160510965607.jpeg

4E71C417-8684-40F3-8361-9A8B6C597D11.jpeg

After the first servings I put in the fridge and used the meat slicer for the rest. I took the slices and heated them in the Au Jus and while not tender it was delicious
I do mine as thin as possible, turns out great. I always do a huge tray for parties, there’s never any left.

Chop it. Sear it. Taco it.

The cheap taco places use this cut as its inexpensive compared to flap or skirt.
Ain’t that the truth! I’ve wished that a Mexican restaurant would open up in our little village for years, well one just did. They use the same tough meat in every dish…😡

I really think for the way you served this a small hunk of beef tenderloin would be awesome.
As others above said…round roast, I normally like to chill it real good and thin slice for sandwiches.
You did all you could do.

Larry, you cooked that perfectly! When I make a top/bottom/eye round, my intent is to use it as deli style roast beef for sandwiches. I slice it as thin as possible after it’s cooled. After a few days, whatever is left, is warmed with some au jus for a French dip style sandwich with provolone, horseradish etc.

View attachment 79463

View attachment 79462
This is exactly what I do with these cuts of meat (and beef jerky).

Well it turned out with out of this world flavor.. Good deep smoke (regardless of what the "haters" say about pellet cookers, perfect color, everything perfect. Right? Wrong.. It was like chewing on a good tasting shoe. Not sure if I could have done anything different

View attachment 79456View attachment 79457
Oh man, it looks fantastic though! Sorry it was chewy, sounds like some good ideas with the thin slicing method though

I wish had a slicer. I do think it would make nice cold roast beef sandwiches. My slicing knives have just a little too much flex on cold beef. Maybe I can try the electric knife and see how it does. But, oh man it was deelish. Went so well with my mashed taters and fresh garden tomatoes with fresh basil, a little reduced balsamic glaze and that special EVOO.
My goal is to find a nice piece of beef that I can make a small roast for me and the boss, we can enjoy on a midweek meal. Bottom round was not it. Sounds like eye of round would not be much better. I don't know about maybe a top round roast?
Any suggestions other than maybe biting the bullet and buying whole tenderloin(s) and using it for smaller roasts rather than steaks?

Italian Beef Sammy's.
No, too smoky. I know I see lots of (what I call haters) saying you can't get good smoke on a pellet grill. To them I say BS. I'm on a FB group for Z Grill and every once in a while one of these people get through who have never touched one but they know it all and "yeah I watched this YouTube test" "would never buy one" and so on. All mouth no substance.
IDK if I bought a stick burner or a coal burner if I could produce even better flavor but I think I could maybe get different but better? Nah. Thankfully they blow those folks off the FB group quickly.
I digress.......................sorry. Italian beef should not be smoky.
I will experiment taking some of these suggestions into play. But, would sure love to find a decent inexpensive "everyday" cut for making a decent roast beef and mashed taters for us on those occasional midweeks we'd like that

You are likely right about those of us that do not use pellet smokers, the concept is so different from charcoal. I have had a few things from my daughter in laws Traeger that were quite nice, different from what I produce on a WSM but, equally good. Do I feel like I have to have a pellet smoker? Nope. Do I want to play with the Traeger? Maybe. Will I play with the Traeger? At some point, probably.

Back