Trying for a good shredded BBQ beef

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Decided to try and make some shredded BBQ beef and try out my finished mini cart. Took a three pound chuck steak and seasoned it with Weber’s Montana steak seasoning and on to the mini it goes.
S1039926_zps3135e081.jpg

S1039935_zpsc04b470b.jpg

Used two chunks of hickory for smoke, cooked at 250-260 until it hit 165.
S1039937_zpsb2338c3f.jpg

Foiled with red and green bell pepper and onion with a New Castle beer for liquid along with a homemade BBQ sauce.
S1039942_zps2cf55f5b.jpg

Cooked on the gasser (pan was too big to fit the mini) 350 for 3 hours.
S1039944_zpsb3a21fa0.jpg

S1039947_zps7ed72041.jpg

Shredded the beef and served on hard rolls with Barbs homemade pasta salad and some tots and watched the Cardinals / Texans preseason game. Great game and great shredded BBQ beef had a nice smoky flavor and very tender. Next time I’ll try some Stubbs with it instead of my homemade just to see what the difference will be.
S1039956_zpse654fc9b.jpg

S1039952_zps95d8507e.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Rich;
I don't know where to start - there are so many interesting things in this post. First of all, I GREATLY admire your cart. Great work (is there a post that I missed on that build?). Then, there is the "oh so simple" thing (that I haven't even thought of) - putting a handle on the IKEA Silverware caddy to make it much easier to handle when hot:rolleyes:... I just might have to copy that - hope it isn't patented;).

The pulled beef looks VERY good, indeed! I might mention one thing - when using a foil pan in the Mini-Joe and the 14.5" WSM I have often bent up the "ears" to get it to fit. I must admit, tho', that using the gasser is pretty dern innovative on your part.

Thanks MUCH for sharing with us!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Rich;
I don't know where to start - there are so many interesting things in this post. First of all, I GREATLY admire your cart. Great work (is there a post that I missed on that build?). Then, there is the "oh so simple" thing (that I haven't even thought of) - putting a handle on the IKEA Silverware caddy to make it much easier to handle when hot:rolleyes:... I just might have to copy that - hope it isn't patented;).

The pulled beef looks VERY good, indeed! I might mention one thing - when using a foil pan in the Mini-Joe and the 14.5" WSM I have often bent up the "ears" to get it to fit. I must admit, tho', that using the gasser is pretty dern innovative on your part.

Thanks MUCH for sharing with us!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Here's the tread for the cart build, all but the shelves which are clear pine.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52383-Found-the-Grill-of-my-dreams

Great looking cook, Rich. Looks absolutely delicious. Like the others, I love that cart. Really like your counters too. Great job.

The beef looks great!! As does your set-up!
At what temp did you pull from the gasser?
I found 200* was too soon & have run mine to 210 to 215 to shred like pork.

Love the place, love the concept and cook. Unless I'm way outta touch, was it the foiling (braise) that enabled the pulling?

Looks very tasty

It'll pull either way, but the braising speeds up the internal heating by containing the steam, and basically speeds up the process..... those things can take forever otherwise. If you go to do this, Larry Wolfe explained it to me best: stick a fork in it and when you can twist it like spaghetti, it's done... good visual if you haven't heard it before.

The beef looks great!! As does your set-up!
At what temp did you pull from the gasser?
I found 200* was too soon & have run mine to 210 to 215 to shred like pork.

Karl, I don't monitor the temp I go at 350 and after 2 1/2 hours I start doing a twist test with a fork every 20 inutes until fork tender.

"Great game" !?!?!? Depends on your perspective.

Shredded the beef and served on hard rolls with Barbs homemade pasta salad and some tots and watched the Cardinals / Texans preseason game. Great game and great shredded BBQ beef had a nice smoky flavor and very tender. Next time I’ll try some Stubbs with it instead of my homemade just to see what the difference will be.
Great gamed it was not. That was the 14th loss in a row for us. :mad: On the other hand your cook looks outstanding and I must try this.

Back