Trouble holding temps on 14.5 WSM

T Perkins

TVWBB Fan
I just got this 14.5 WSM this spring and Ive done a couple cooks so far on it. First 2 times was a couple butts and today a load of rib tips. First 2 butt cooks I used water in the pan, and today I went with a foiled, empty pan. My issue is that I cannot keep temps to stay above 200-225. I used minion all three times with 12 lit to start. When temps were low to start, I would open the door to get some breeze into the smoker to raise the temps up to about 275, but it would immediately start dropping again down to around the 200-225 range. Using temp readings from my Maverick 732, not the dome temp...

Do I need to maybe start with more than 12 lit on the 14.5?

Ive cooked for years on 18s and 22s and never had this issue. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Airflow is good/normal.

Funny thing, after I posted this I went out and took a peek at temps at it was locked in at 260. Maybe it just needed a little public shaming to get its act together. Not sure what the issue was at all though. I'll try more lit next time and see if it comes up to temp and holds better.

Public shaming may have done the trick T. I use no more than 12 lit briqs, in a full charcoal, ring tin-can minion style on mt 14.5.
I can get up to 280/90 degs with all three vents 1/4 open and top vent 100% open.

Back