Tried my hand at Smoked Turkey Legs

J Pichey

TVWBB Fan
I found some Gobble Legs on sale and thought I would give it a go. If anyone has any ideas on how to get crispy skin, I'm all ears. They turned out moist and tasty but with rubbery skin.

I brined them for a few hours in water, brown sugar and creole seasoning:

IMG_1213_zpse00d7554.jpg

I sprayed them with some cooking spray and seasoned em up with some Chili/Lime rub that I received for X-Mas.

IMG_1231_zps837df0f5.jpg

I fired up my new Rapidfire Weber Chimney:

IMG_1201_zpsc015bd8a.jpg

And let the Mini WSM fire up to the 290-300 mark:

IMG_1217_zps1c37ecb8.jpg

I threw em on the Lions Mini:

IMG_1233_zpsbdef41af.jpg

I enjoyed a Cigar with one of my "Grilling" partners keeping watch:

IMG_1221_zpsbe34ee09.jpg

I used some Apple and Pear wood for good smoke:

IMG_1236_zpsd0535100.jpg

I can't be certain, but I think the balloons were trying to get low enough to get a piece of my hot legs:

IMG_1224_zps71d14216.jpg

Ran them until they hit 175:

IMG_1244_zps8709dd99.jpg

Here is the finished product. The flavor is good, but the rubbery skin is a disappointment:

IMG_1247_zpsc9268fb3.jpg

Last edited:
Pich, tear the skin off next time, you'll enjoy the meat more so.
I've done TLs many times, the last few have been skinless and most enjoyable.

Brining poultry probably doesn't add to crispy skin because it plumps it full of water through the process but it does add so much great flavor. You might try letting poultry dry out in the fridge for a while before cooking. You could also squirt the chicken skin with cooking spray or olive oil.

BTW...I'll bet the local Cowboys fans LOVE the Lions cooker. I am from just down the street in Garland. My mom still lives there and my brother lives in Allen.

Last edited:
I'm not a skin guy, so I don't care how the skin comes out. Those turkey legs, looks great!!!!!!! nice job!

I did some 2 pound turkey yesterday. I was expecting rubbery skin. They looked just like yours. I sprayed them with and olive oil spray before I put on the rub. To my surprise, the skin was very crispy. I don't eat the skin anyway.

Been thinking about doing the same thing with drums and I have wondered about using the kettle and bringing the temps up to 350 in order to get the skin crisp. Don't know though if that would dry out the meat? Also wondered about a mop like Cornell??

I don't know if this would work with turkey legs, but it does work with thighs. I make three of four small slashes (< 1") through the skin before I put on the dry seasonings. This provides an exit for the rendered fat that gets trapped beneath the skin. And it doesn't seem to effect the moisture level of the meat. Makes for a nice crunchy skin. M-m-m-m, crunchy skin.

Thanks for the great advice. I will try no skin and no brine next time and see what happens. Happy smoking everyone.

Back