Tried a 2 stage cook

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So yesterday, wife and I decided on another ribeye. I used one of the ones from Sam's but if you know Sam's (or Costco) they'll always package 2 good ones and one meh one. So this time I did a 2 step cook. Put it on the pellet grill at 225 and let it go until 125 on the meat probe. Got the Genesis up and stabilized at about 425 on the lid thermo. Crusted it and served. I am fighting the flu right now so I forgot photos (sorry). BTW last year had Covid. Piece of cake. I'll take that ANY DAY over this flu! Anyway only critique I have is I lightly used the rub the butcher recommended for brisket cook. We both agreed flavor was too over powering for a steak. Sticking with good ol S&P only for steak. I could not eat much but it was a top notch "cook". It will likely be my new "go to" when I have time

Sorry to hear you’re not 100% Larry, be careful with your tummy, the flu is a misery to be sure, I’ve been spared for several years now, very pleased about that.

Yeah, I'll say. Honestly felt like crawling into a hole for my dirt nap yesterday. Woke up today quite a bit better. But, still everything hurts. I was putting off my flu shot for when the latest vaccine came out. but, maybe it was a bad idea. :unsure:

Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Barb and I have been lucky, neither one of us have had any issues with flu or covid. But the other side of the coin is my arm looks like a pin cushion with all the flu and covid shots I've had. Still, I don't go out unless I have too, not taking any chances.
Sounds like that was a great way to do your steak, have to give that a try. Agree S&P or a lite coating of SPOG is all a steak needs.

Glad your on the mend Larry. The wife and are fully vaxed and boosted and I'm the only one in our whole family that has not had covid. No serious problems for any of them, they just felt crappy for a couple of days. But anyway, I never got the flu vaccine for forty years because I never get the flu. Until last year! I swear that virus tried to kill me. I was very sick for a couple of days and felt pewny for a week. That episode changed my way of thinking about flu shots. Again, glad you are feeling better and the steak turned out good.

Glad you're feeling better Larry. The flu sucks, even more so as we get older. That's why I take my 80-proof cold and flu meds every day:)

Yeah, I'll say. I get a flu shot every year, but doc said to wait a bit until the new one is settled on. Sadly the flu bug did not wait. I guess I am really lucky too. Last time I got the flu it became pneumonia and damn near killed me. I was down for nearly a month! That was back in 2008. Doc said either get a flu shot every year or get affairs in order :D

Late to say it, but I am glad you are turning the corner toward feeling better. I think your 2-step method has a lot of merit. I tried it once with my pellet grill, but since Faith doesn't really like any added smoke flavor it didn't earn me any brownie points.

I have got to get that Summit done before winter so that even if often confined to using only gas I will at least be using a CLASSY gas grill!

Cleaning up cast aluminum.jpeg

Back