Tri tip

This was at 3 hours at 250* then wrapped in foil for 2 hours at 250* rested for 1 hour. Juicy fork tender dinner for 9.
John, what was the internal temp when you took it off the grill? Were you going for more of a brisket type of cook on these? I've seen people do that, but I love "traditional" grilled Tri Tip so much, I haven't tried it.

Looks great, BTW!

Rich

John, what was the internal temp when you took it off the grill? Were you going for more of a brisket type of cook on these? I've seen people do that, but I love "traditional" grilled Tri Tip so much, I haven't tried it.

Looks great, BTW!

Rich
It’s like a brisket cook, internal temp 203*. Most of my friends don’t like to to see red in the meat so this is perfect. SPG seasoning and no wood smoke just B&B oak lump. Had a great smoke ring!

It’s like a brisket cook, internal temp 203*. Most of my friends don’t like to to see red in the meat so this is perfect. SPG seasoning and no wood smoke just B&B oak lump. Had a great smoke ring!
I'll have to try this on a TT sometime! Thanks, John.

R

interesting. served as slices or shredded? on a bun or plate? i've always done TT as a steak, 130-135F pull temp then rest. santa maria style has always been my fave; nice char and good crust, served on a baguette with a garlic aioli and red onions. any pics of the finished and sliced product?

I'll have to try this on a TT sometime! Thanks, John.

R
I did this once. It’s pretty good, but not brisket good (not enough fat and takes almost as long as a small brisket). It’s nice if there’s only a couple of you and you don’t want to make a larger brisket. I still prefer my TT’s mid rare.

Last edited:
interesting. served as slices or shredded? on a bun or plate? i've always done TT as a steak, 130-135F pull temp then rest. santa maria style has always been my fave; nice char and good crust, served on a baguette with a garlic aioli and red onions. any pics of the finished and sliced product?
It was served as slices with a rigatoni casserole. Sorry once my guests show up I forget about pictures, I have missed many photo ops because I was trying to be a good host. The meat could have been served in many different ways, we had knives out but most people just used their forks. Maybe too tender for some folks but I hate tough meat. I chose not to use any wood since some people don't care for the smoke taste. The result was very versatile leftover meat, tacos, sandwiches or just rice.

It was served as slices with a rigatoni casserole. Sorry once my guests show up I forget about pictures, I have missed many photo ops because I was trying to be a good host. The meat could have been served in many different ways, we had knives out but most people just used their forks. Maybe too tender for some folks but I hate tough meat. I chose not to use any wood since some people don't care for the smoke taste. The result was very versatile leftover meat, tacos, sandwiches or just rice.
I'm finally getting used to taking pictures of food, I will try to take some pre dinner pictures. I actually did a disservice to my guests that brought all of the side dishes and desserts. ;)

Back