Tri-tip questions

dean

TVWBB Pro
With several people posting about them I wanna try one. Tri tip is not like a chuck roast where they are on every meat counter. Are they shrink wrapped like a packer brisket or just wrapped?
Where do some of you get them? Sams Club, super market or butcher or some place else? Im sure I could get one from this top shelf butcher near me but $$.$$
icon_mad.gif
... I am on a fixed income!
icon_biggrin.gif
Also what is the best method? Low and slow or seared to medium rare?

Dean,
In the St Louis area they can be found at Costco, Trader Joes, and a couple of supermarkets and meat markets.
Don't know where you live to be of any more help in that regard.

I like to do them indirect with a little wood for smoke, then reverse sear to about 135 internal before resting.

Good luck, hope you can find one!

I used to get them at Costco as well, but here lately they haven't had any. I am hoping it it is a seasonal thing since the "uneducated" don't grill year round. I too cook them like Bob, but without smoke

I have only been able tot get them at a local farmer's market. In the east they are not as popular as out west. At $6.99 for CAB tri tips in Atlanta, I am happy.

There are many posts and also some instructions on the main TVWB site on cooking meathods. Reverse sear is my favorite.

I've only seen them around here at Trader Joes or Restaurant Depot.

I tried them both low and slow and grilled this weekend. Both were amazing, but I would say preparation depends on what you're in the mood for and how much time you have.

I live in Michigan. We have a Sams club near me. Costco is like an hours drive for me. Tx for the replies.

You Eastern guys are going to hate this. Just got my weekly circular/ad from my local supermarket and tris are $2.99 a lb this week. I let it sit on the counter for a couple hours, go indirect heat about 325 then reverse sear using red oak. I remove at about 135, foil tent for about 10 and slice against the grain.

I second Susie Q's. I also use Pappy's seasoning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
You Eastern guys are going to hate this. Just got my weekly circular/ad from my local supermarket and tris are $2.99 a lb this week. I let it sit on the counter for a couple hours, go indirect heat about 325 then reverse sear using red oak. I remove at about 135, foil tent for about 10 and slice against the grain.

I second Susie Q's. I also use Pappy's seasoning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, What Grade of beef is that?

Choice. Believe it or not a couple of times a year I can get Wagyu for $5.99 lb. Here's a slide show of a Wagyu and Choice side by side cook I did SLIDESHOW

All this talk of tri tip has talked me into doing a tri this weekend.

Russell is absolutely correct.

I typically use the Susie Q's (we always have it in stock in the pantry), rub it , let it sit in the fridge overnight, sear it a bit over red oak then let it smoke until 145 degrees. Let it rest about 30 minutes wrapped in foil. Cut against the grain in thin slices.
We typically serve it with home made salsa, garlic bread and ranch beans. Easily one of our favorites.

Man, you west coast guys have it made when it comes to tri-tip! Our Publix has it @ $7.99/lb. and a local butcher sells it to me for $6.99/lb., both choice. Not terrible prices, but to find it on sale for less than $3/lb., I'd have some in my freezer for sure.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Choice. Believe it or not a couple of times a year I can get Wagyu for $5.99 lb. Here's a slide show of a Wagyu and Choice side by side cook I did SLIDESHOW

All this talk of tri tip has talked me into doing a tri this weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not trying to hijack the thread but that's a heck of a price and a heck of a Q Sir!

The Costco's in KC have been out of tri tip for several months now, it's a shame and I hope it's temporary. I picked up the Trader Joe's tri tip last weekend and was impressed. It seemed somewhat leaner that what I used to pick up at Costco. I'll stick to the grill with it.

I picked up a medium sized piece of untrimmed Tri-tip last night at Von's for $2.97 per pound.
Got it home, trimmed and seasoned it for tonight's dinner.

I get mine at a place called Cash and Carry. Look for bulk stores that have a meat section that are not named Costco. They are much much cheaper there than at a regular grocery store (2.99 a pound at Cash and Carry if I remember correctly). I get them three to a cryo-pack bag there. Even better, talk you way into a membership at a restaurant supply store (like Restaurant Depot). You buy in bulk but that’s what freezers are for.

If I remember correctly cash and carry & restaurant depot are the same company. Restaurant depot here does not carry them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
If I remember correctly cash and carry & restaurant depot are the same company. Restaurant depot here does not carry them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct, they are both owned by the same company. Where I live (Oregon), anyone can get into a Cash & Carry to shop. But to get into Restaurant Depot you need a food service related business license to get a membership (it's free though) and prices are a bit cheaper with a much larger selection.

Back