Tri-tip on the 14.5" wsm: Round 2

AbeLos

TVWBB Member
First tri-tip on the baby wsm came out good, but I had a bit of an issue with the heat during the cook and the color of the slices. Since the first one was a pre-marinated tri-tip, I figured I would try a fresh tri-tip this time.....I'm glad I did. This time I just applied some Montreal Steak seasoning about 30 min before the cook. The butcher had some red oak chunks so I used about 4 on a full charcoal ring, this time I was able to get the wsm to 350 by taking out the water pan as was suggested. Took it to about 130 and then put the rack on the ring to get the reverse sear going, had an issue with flare ups so I had to baby it at this point, after removing it I let it rest for about 15 minutes. Next time I think I will only take it to 125 before the sear.

Now that I know where I can get tri-tips in my area, I am definitely keeping in my repertoire, it is perfect for a reasonably quick meal and doesn't take a whole lot of prep work to boot. Tomorrow the performer is getting fired up for some steaks and chicken thighs, while doing some ABTs on the baby wsm, man I love 3-day weekends.

A good way to make sure which way to cut is when you are prepping the tri tip, cut a small piece in the proper cut direction when seasoning and you will then know exactly which way to cut when the meat comes off. I just did that for the tri tip I prepped for this afternoon.

I thought I did, I followed the guide on this. I guess I didn't.

Your tri tip looks really good!
I enlarged your pic on Flickr, and some looks sliced across the grain, and some with.
The thing with tri tip is that the grain can run in 3 different directions.
Chris has a nice little video at the bottom of this page:
http://virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

If it gets cut with the grain, this can be somewhat corrected when cutting into bite size pieces on the plate, as long as the serving pieces are cut across.

Back