Tri Tip kind of weekend

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Made our Costco trip last week and picked up a few things, including two very nice tri tips, $3.78/lb. Grabbed the two that looked the best and came away happy. Got started on one of them Sunday night.

DSC_4121 (Large).JPG

Picked one, froze the other.

DSC_4125 (Large) (1).JPG

Hooked and rubbed down with Cattleman's California Tri Tip Seasoning.

DSC_4127 (Large).JPG

Got the Cheesy Potatoes going in my little 2 qt. Lodge Dutch Oven. One of our family favorites.

DSC_4131 (Large).JPG

After the potatoes got a half hour head start I hung the meat. Used the charcoal ring out of my 18" WSM as I only wanted to use one chimney of briquettes and it held them tighter directly under the meat.

DSC_4134 (Large) (1).JPG

DSC_4137 (Large) (1).JPG

Mushrooms and other stuff (olive oil, butter, onions, garlic, white wine and soy sauce, sweating up nicely.

DSC_4141 (Large) (1).JPG

Cheesy Potatoes done.

DSC_4143 (Large) (1).JPG

Sliced it up.

DSC_4145 (Large) (1).JPG

Plated it up extra hot pure horseradish.

DSC_4149 (Large) (1).JPG

This proved to be an excellent dinner. The good part is I've got one more tri tip in the freezer. We wiped out the mushrooms and had some left over potatoes but cleaned them up last night. Probably will slice up a couple more slices for hot beef sandwiches and thinly slice the rest for some deli style sandwiches during the week. Thanks for looking everyone.

Last edited:
Amazing, Cliff. That looks so, so good. Really want some of those taters....also a mushroom fan, so if you don't mind I'll take some.

Honestly, Cliff, your food always looks incredible.

Wow, everything looks perfect!! So want to do those potatoes. Best part about tri-tip is the leftovers. Cold tri-tip sandwiches delicious, tri-tip grilled cheese with horseradish mayo...to die for. I grill the sandwich with just the cheese and mayo then add the still rare tri-tip right at the end so it just warms and doesn’t cook any more 😋

Tri tip is on my short list of cooks, but wow those potatoes look out of this world. May I ask for the recipe for the potatoes.

Always a favorite at our house. Looks great Cliff!

For some reason the first 5 photos are not showing?

Back