Tri-Tip is in my future

Mark Silver

TVWBB Wizard
I bought my 2 Double R Ranch Tri-Tips today for future cooks. I have posted pics of these fantastic well-marbled roasts before. I hand-picked the two I bought from the Butcher counter. There were about 10 others in the pre-packaged section + about 8 more at the Butcher counter. This is $2.00/lb. less than than the usual sale price. I love Idaho!

1642884934521.jpeg

I can sometimes find hamburger at that price. If I liked the taste of rubber bbs.
Seriously, what happened to ground beef.

Price out west seems to have leveled off, or even dropped a little, but it is still a bit high.

I picked these up Sunday morning at Costco. Price tag is long gone but I think they were 7.29 lb.

Maybe tomorrow...

20220124_172320.jpg

Price out west seems to have leveled off, or even dropped a little, but it is still a bit high.

I picked these up Sunday morning at Costco. Price tag is long gone but I think they were 7.29 lb.

Maybe tomorrow...

View attachment 44061

Yeah, but those are well striated and will be fantastic. I don't care what the Texans say about brisket, I'll take good tri-tip over brisket any day. CA has a lot of negatives, but tri-tip isn't one of them.

Well... Update please!!!

started a chimney on my E330

20220125_160616.jpg

Smoked on the BGE using JD Lump with a handful of Pecan chips tossed on the coals. Dome temp about 210 Grate temp was around 180 to 190. I didn't bother setting up the billows for a short cook. I pulled this when the narrow part of the tri tip was 120F internal.

20220125_175201.jpg

Went over to a friends and reverse seared it on an E310.

20220125_183047.jpg

I think it could have gone a few minutes longer on the sear. The time from it coming off the smoker to starting to sear it was about 30 mins and I'm guessing it cooled off a bit. It felt done but I did not temp check it after the sear or I might have let it go a little more. It was still tasty though a tad more rare than expected.

20220125_184330.jpg

And some stuffed mushrooms were added for a side.

20220125_184929.jpg

Love try tip from Costco but it’s pretty pricey wait for the local market to bring it down they sell it bulk for 369 a pound so I’ll just wait by it then cook as I need I cook mine brisket style

Attachments

• C2A7CE50-B0BC-406B-A36F-D5C349859282.png
    C2A7CE50-B0BC-406B-A36F-D5C349859282.png
    849 KB · Views: 6
I finally got over to my Brothers to pick the Anova up. Sometime this coming week, I will suck bag and Sous vide the tri tip from the freezer as soon as I want to get chilly for the final sear! I can’t do it without freezing delicate tissue for the next few days!

started a chimney on my E330

View attachment 44155

Smoked on the BGE using JD Lump with a handful of Pecan chips tossed on the coals. Dome temp about 210 Grate temp was around 180 to 190. I didn't bother setting up the billows for a short cook. I pulled this when the narrow part of the tri tip was 120F internal.

View attachment 44149

Went over to a friends and reverse seared it on an E310.

View attachment 44153

I think it could have gone a few minutes longer on the sear. The time from it coming off the smoker to starting to sear it was about 30 mins and I'm guessing it cooled off a bit. It felt done but I did not temp check it after the sear or I might have let it go a little more. It was still tasty though a tad more rare than expected.

View attachment 44154

And some stuffed mushrooms were added for a side.

View attachment 44157

That's about how my wife likes the tri-tip. On the rare side. If it's a well marbled one, me too.

Maybe tomorrow...

View attachment 44061

Nice looking, well marbled. I usually just buy the Choice grade from Costco, because they often have super well marbled pieces that are sometimes as good as their Prime grade. Just have to pick thru them.

Back