Tri Tip - because it’s been eons since I made two

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Homemade rub, with just enough cooking oil and a hint of red wine vinegar to help disperse all the rub across the meat.

Countertop marinate for two hours then onto the grill.

Thinking of using CA oak live fire are the cook method. This way I’ll get heat and smoke at the same time.

1660434222104.jpeg

1660434242509.jpeg

1660434264946.jpeg

1660434283424.jpeg

More to come in two hours.

Nice, that’s cooked perfectly for my taste! I know some like to cook them low and slow like a brisket, maybe I’ll try that too someday.
I could’ve used some of those limes for my gin & tonics today!

The limes still have some time to go. I’m excited for the harvest though. Huge amount of fruit.

I’m not a fan of LAS TT. I prefer higher heat and flipping every 3-5 mins, depending on the heat. This cook was around 400° the whole way and the end sear was lid open.

The live fire gave a great oak nose to the beef. One of my best TTs ever.

TT is a roast cut that cooks like a steak. Great beef flavor and so long as you don’t overcook it, it’s perfect every time.

Last edited:
Looks tasty Brett. Three questions.

How are you seasoning the sprouts?

Is the foil in this pic just for drips?

20220814_083757.jpg

And, where's the red wine?

Looks tasty Brett. Three questions.

How are you seasoning the sprouts?

Is the foil in this pic just for drips?

View attachment 57428

And, where's the red wine?
SPG on sprouts. Hit them with a little direct heat, flipped and then went indirect for their finish. On my plate I squeezed fresh lemon juice onto them and topped with pecorino shredded for extra flavor.

Heavy duty aluminum foil to catch drips and keep the S6 clean.

And the vino was Sobon Rocky Top. Forgot to grab that pic. Was too thirsty and hangry as I did a 100 minutes workout yesterday and was starving come dinner time.

I recco you do a live fire with a plot of that oak if it’s ready. The TTs had a nice crust and beautiful oak nose. Everyone really enjoyed this meal.

SPG on sprouts. Hit them with a little direct heat, flipped and then went indirect for their finish. On my plate I squeezed fresh lemon juice onto them and topped with pecorino shredded for extra flavor.
Any oil on the sprouts pre cook?

Any oil on the sprouts pre cook?
Sorry, yes. Cooking olive oil. Very light coating, season, toss then grill. Sliced sprouts will cook quicker than whole sprouts and give more crispy texture all around. It’s a nice balance between fully cooked and crisped, but not over cooked which makes sprouts mushy.

Back