Travelers on sale. $249

I shouldn't buy a traveler....right? 🤔
This is just me on the outside looking in--and I never gave thought to this until a member commented a couple weeks ago on his struggle to achieve a medium cooking temp (he was overshooting his target temp)--but I would be concerned about the low ceiling height if I had the expectation of using it for various cooking scenarios.

This is just me on the outside looking in--and I never gave thought to this until a member commented a couple weeks ago on his struggle to achieve a medium cooking temp (he was overshooting his target temp)--but I would be concerned about the low ceiling height if I had the expectation of using it for various cooking scenarios.
It would mostly be for quick cooks at work or when we are out in the trailer. I have a small asmoke pellet grill that I take that is a awesome little cooker but doesn't perform well at high heat. I have a bunch of different cookers and and always looking to add another. Thankfully my wife thinks it's funny. I guess I have til tomorrow to decide but I told my wife about it and she basically said "buy it you wuss".

Richard, yes, I think all brands of 1lb cylinders are made to the same specs. Even the longer skinnier ones will work. Coleman charges a lot more but the propane is no different than the propane in any other bottle.

Richard, yes, I think all brands of 1lb cylinders are made to the same specs. Even the longer skinnier ones will work. Coleman charges a lot more but the propane is no different than the propane in any other bottle.
Bruce; thanx for your reply and how many grilling sessions can you have before needing to change the 1lb cylinders? I have crowded space and not wanting to add the much larger propane gas tank?

Richard, that depends on how long your cooks are, how long you preheat and if you do burn offs after cooking. I really don't want to even estimate as I usually run mine on bulk tanks. I think the Q1200 runs at 8,000 BTU on HI. I guess someone could do the math and figure out how long that would last. I know there is some kind of simple formula out there.
You could also look for a 5lb bulk tank, but they are not real common and usually pretty expensive if you do find them.
I have my Q200 on shelf on the "outside" of my deck and the tank hangs on the outside of the deck as well. So, really, it takes up no space in that situation. Where are you planning to use your Q?

Richard, you could always use a two way splitter if you already have a large tank on another grill or appliance. It would save another tank. Just add an adapter hose.
18F145D6-1719-4988-A7D0-46438006F800.jpeg

If not, you cold look at an extension hose (see link) for a big tank which would allow you to keep the tank farther away where you might have more room for it. You can get different lengths. You would save so much money that it would be well worth it.

I guess someone could do the math and figure out how long that would last.
I did it once, but I didn’t remember all the numbers, so let’s do it again:

Propane heat content: 91 500 Btu/gal @STP
Propane density: 4.24 lb/gal @STP
Heat content of 1lb propane: 21 580 Btu
Traveler burner rating: 13 000 Btu/hr

Meaning that a Traveler burning at full blast will blow through a 1 lb propane bottle in just over an hour and a half.

Incidentally, when I looked at this before, I swear that it was much closer to one hour. I wonder if they de-rated the burner at some point.

Last edited:
That would make sense the 1200 would last longer at full burner its quite a bit smaller cooking space wise as well as the burner rating being quite a bit less than a Traveler.

Here is a comparison chart of the Q's vs Traveler specs.

Thanx to all that replied to my question regarding the propane cylinder. Me and the Costa Rican WeberQ Salesmen have agreed to a price of $318.00 out-the-door over WhatsApp. I will be picking-up this New WeberQ 1200 next Monday, 09/12/22. This is the same Costa Rican Weber Authorized Dealership that sold me my excellent Weber Performer Deluxe in January, 2020. If they have the Propane Tank Gas Hose I will also make this purchase.
Since I do not own a car here in "Ticoland" I plan on using a private Costa Rican Propane Gas Dealership that delivers the larger propane gas tank rentals to the house.

Oh, today I inquired as to the present price of the one(1)lb propane gas cylinders which is now at Thirty($30) Dollars per unit at today's Costa Rican Monetary Exchange Rate.

I plan on grilling with this unit on my Weber Performer Deluxe Metal Table and when not in use I will store it on this same table under the Weber Performer Cover.

Last edited:

Back