Totally unbelievable !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Eaches

Totally unbelievable !

As I posted before I bought a 26 ¾” grill, when I got it the bottom half of the grill was bad, they have sent me 3 replacements and they all have been bad, I am waiting on replacement number 4.

Also the lid of the grill came without a heat shield, they sent me a heat shield, but there was no holes in the handle bracket of the lid to bolt it on. So I called them and they said they would send me a new lid with the holes in it so that I could bolt the heat shield on. I got the lid today But guess what, NO HOLES ! I give up.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
Wow. Sorry to hear that...What was wrong with the bottom(s)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The handle bracket is bent, and the paint is chipped. And the same thing's wrong with the replacements they sent me.

Ron

well, look at it this way Ronald, pretty soon you'll be able to build (some sort of) a Weber grill with all those parts they don't want back
icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum, I hope your "WeberLife" becomes easier very soon!

don't give up. you paid for a undamaged unit and its yer right to get it. i would have just drilled some holes. maybe not. ask and talk to a supervisor. calmly state what is happening. also mention several times how you have read how great their service is.

Weber serves their customers well, but this past weekend I was in Illinois and had chance to see a good bit of the product line on display. I was disappointed to see that some aspects of quality that they are known for had succumbed to building on the cheap. The mid to higher end gas product stood up to weber standard, but the kettles seemed less substantial. I went to lift the lid on a kettle with the anticipated heft I am accustomed, and there was nothing there. It even sounded tinny. I thought it was just me, and I went back later to double check. The more threads like this show up the more I wonder. Has anyone else noticed these changes? If so, shame on Weber. I hope I am wrong.

Gary

I noticed that too recently when I was looking at a new 22.5 OTG at HD. I wasn't sure if it was just me, or if they have cheapened up the grills. Nevertheless, if the warranty doesn't change then you are safe in picking up a new one.

Guess what we are eating tonight? CROW.

I am sick of this banter that the Kettles are getting cheaper, weigh less, thinner.

I just took my micrometer out to the garage and measured the thickness of both bowl and lid on my 1998 Performer and 2010 Brick Red Performer.

1998 lid 0.030"
1998 bowl 0.055"
2010 lid 0.035"
2010 bowl 0.060"

WOW the newer ones are THICKER.
I also did not notice any weight difference. Between the lids. (Sorry no scale to test this.)

good to know. thanks. but something is off. i tried a new platinum lid and it did seem lighter than the performer lid sitting next to it. i will check again when i go to the weber dealer again. i really hope that i/we are wrong.

It's pretty hard to judge the Platinum's lid weight due to the side handle, so I picked it up by the top vent, and it felt plenty heavy. At a store, don't own one.

I can't imagine the lid & bowl being any different from the OTG or Performer.
JMO

I think we're also used to lifting up our lids that have a fair amount of "gunk" under them. So when you lift a lid on a brand spankin' new floor model, it does feel a little lighter. I remember having the same thought last year when I first brought my Performer home. It doesn't feel so light anymore.

I own kettles of several vintages, and have a lid manufactured in the 1970's, a second manufactured in 1991, a third from 1999, and a fourth from 2006. There is no difference (that I can perceive) in the weight or thickness of any of these lids.

I considered the residue from use as some of the difference, and definitely a dampener of the sound. The lids on these couple of kettles seemed extremely light. I was at HD today and the kettles there seemed fine. I don't know, perhaps an anomaly but I have suspicions.

I would not hesitate to bash a company if they choose to sell out a loyal customer base by going down the road of shortcuts and less quality for a few extra dollars. How many times have you seen this over the past few decades? I am not saying this is the case here, but there is no harm in asking weber fans if they are noticing the changes. Weber is who they are because of the quality of the product (customer service is a bonus) and I don't think they would want to mess with it, but these are unusual times.

Tim, your gauge does not account for changes in raw material or it's quality. Crow is not on the menu.

Gary

I have noticed on the new one touch platinum that the bracket that holds the handle to the lid is certainly thin and feels "inadequate". Im not sure I like the feel of how it slides back into its holder either.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. We are conditioned to think that things are made with less quality today than yesterday, but in this case there may actually be some evidence of this. Until the new and old units are fully compared to one another in terms of material quality, weight, and workmanship then we can't say one way or another if it's so.

One thing that strikes me, though, is that we're questioning the quality of these units on a board that is for FANS not detractors. That says a lot about the credibility of the claims of decreased quality. We're not a group of people who would want to say these things, but we would be concerned if they were true.

Rather than sidetrack Ronald's thread any further I have started a new threaddealing with thickness and other subjects along this line.
BTW I went and re-measured everything in daylight so I could see. I also did not round anything up or down. (Earlier post I had adjusted to nearest 5/1000).

Good Luck Ronald, I am sure Weber will come through for you.

It took me 4 attempts to obtain my 26 OTG; bend handles, scrated bowls. All the damage was done prior to packing. This is very poor QA; really unacceptable. Weber was very easy to work with, but you would think that something would be done to stop this. Bought my son in law a 22.5 and the handles were bent on it also.

Hi to all

Here is the update on my grill.

They said that the lid has been redesigned, they said the handle bracket has been shortened and the heat shield was not needed now. Look's to me like if the handle bracket has been shortened, you would need the heat more that ever!

Also I got replacement bottom #4 this Friday and it to was bad.
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back