Total newbie - Good deal on 18.5" WSM...

Jason Paul

TVWBB Member
Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a month or two, trying to decide if I wanted to get one of these, and if so, which size. Went through the whole "18.5 or 22.5" debate, going back and forth for weeks. I ended up thinking the 18.5" was the way to go for me.

Lots of people say get the 22.5" since you'll always have the extra space. But I realized that this is mostly for full-sized racks of ribs and/or large briskets - neither of which I plan to cook very often. One complaint I heard several times was the inconvenience and additional charcoal from having to fire up the larger smoker. I even saw plenty of people who had the 22.5" saying they often wish they had the 18.5". So, all this had me leaning toward the 18.5".

So, I've been looking locally at the usual suspects: Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Academy, etc. The ones that had the 18.5" had it priced at the standard $299.

For the past 4-5 weeks, I've checked my closest Wal-Mart almost every week hoping it would be on sale (end of season), but almost every week they've had the same single beat-up boxed 18.5", at $299.

Went again last night, same beat-up box, same $299 price tag. But then I noticed on the side, facing the inside of the rack, was another price tag. A red one. For $199. In fact, it turns out the clearance price tag has probably been there the whole time. I just never saw it.

Woo hoo! $100 off! Yeah, the box was beat-up (the clerk said the box got wet, but it wasn't dropped or anything), so I confirmed that I could return it if anything was amiss. All good, so I got it home last night. Haven't put it together yet since it was already getting dark, but I pulled it out and checked to make sure everything is there. Looks good so far.

Did I mention I have little to no idea what I'm doing?

I already have a ginormous grill, with both gas and charcoal, a firebox and a sear-burner. It's about 80" long. But, I've hardly used it since it was given to us five years ago, and even then it was mostly the gas side I used. Now, it's been rusting out and I just don't want to mess with it. I recently started wanting to learn how to cook outside and looking around online, and it seems the WSM is the way to go. I also like the much smaller footprint.

So anyway, sorry for the long introduction. Looking forward to learning how to use this thing.

Thanks,
Jason

Congrats on the new WSM and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and to share. Ask all the questions you need to and know that many here will help.

I'm new to the wsm's too, but I love them already. Great pickup, I have a feeling you're gonna enjoy using it.

Since mine has to live outdoors most of the year, I use the cover on it (with all vents open). Mine was a Craigslist find, and the cover came with it. (I think they have to be purchased separately on new WSMs, don't they?)

Thanks, I'm looking forward to learning a lot here. I'm a researcher by nature, so learning the ins and outs is part of the fun for me.

Rudy - mine was new and came with a cover, and I've seen a couple of displays in stores that have the covers lying on the grill, so I'm guessing generally the cover comes standard.

OK, that's great! I know the last kettle I bought did not come with a cover and since I bought my WSM used, I wasn't sure if it had one or not. For the price of the WSM, I feel it should come with a cover anyway. ;) And it's actually quite a nice one at that.

My next investment is going to be one of the Performer kettles with the attached table, coal hopper and propane coal lighter. (Probably won't use the propane often, but it would be easier for other family members to use when lighting it.) I doubt I'll see one used, though.

Jason Paul;
Good score! I believe that you not only got a good price but got the right smoker for most of us (I LOVE my 14.5" but if I only had one it would be the 18.5").

I have a suggestion. Go to "Cook Topics" on this forum and spend some time there. Those cooks represent strategies that have worked for many. Another place to look in this forum is Harry Soo's PDF. You can download it here:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21030-PDF-The-BBQ-Wisdom-of-Harry-Soo

I shamelessly copy Harry's technique and recipe for ribs and pulled pork. Harry has won so many awards, that I feel fully comfortable recommending his "stuff" to any who would listen.

There are also many talented cooks who regularly post here and I don't consider my day complete unless I check in to this wonderful Forum! That is a fact!

Keep us posted, complete with pictures of your progress!

Keep on smokin':wsm:,
Dale53

Thanks! I actually downloaded the Harry Soo PDF last week. I've been going through the forum (and the main site) quite a bit - lots to go through!

We've got a big birthday party this weekend for my daughter. I'm not going to try to cook for it (already lots of meat coming from others), but I hope to carve out some time to get the WSM assembled. I'll probably start with something very simple like sausages (high fat for seasoning the WSM right? :) ), or maybe a pork butt.

Thanks again!
Jason

Thanks! I actually downloaded the Harry Soo PDF last week. I've been going through the forum (and the main site) quite a bit - lots to go through!

We've got a big birthday party this weekend for my daughter. I'm not going to try to cook for it (already lots of meat coming from others), but I hope to carve out some time to get the WSM assembled. I'll probably start with something very simple like sausages (high fat for seasoning the WSM right? :) ), or maybe a pork butt.

Thanks again!
Jason

As long as you get decent thermometers (I use one on the grille surface, and another with a wired probe to monitor meat temps), it's a breeze to do a pork shoulder (butt). I smoked one, starting Monday at 10:15pm, and took it off at 2:45pm Tuesday. I let it rest in a cooler for just over two hours, then shredded it apart with the Bear Paws. It was a huge roast, so we have a lot of leftovers, but that's OK. Had to add a few lit coals around noon since the temp was dropping off, but other than that, I tweaked the vents every couple of hours if they needed it, and it was pretty much a "leave it alone" experience. It came out well enough, but I picked up a few ideas along the way, things I might change.

Pork shoulders are cheap enough that I'm not worrying about messing up an expensive cut of meat, and unless you totally let the temperature run away (which would be hard to do on a WSM), it's not that easy to mess up a pork shoulder.

Go for it!!

Jason,

If you get the chance, take Harry's class. Great eye opener with loads of how-to info and first hand, hands on experience.

Back