Time to Smoke Some Cheese

The flavor is a rather mild and pleasant tasting smokiness. A longer smoke time or stronger woods (i.e. hickory, etc) would impart a stronger smoke flavor.

...and, it's Wisconsin Cheese! Very nice Dan.
You make our state dairy farmers proud
icon_biggrin.gif

Great job. I also like a mild smoke with cheese. I have over smoked some and the cheese made me feel like I was chewing on cigar butts.

Dan, I am sure many of our members are going to try that soon. In fact, i am going to smoke some for Xmas. Thanks for the pics and the refresher course.

George,
As Ian said, cheddar is a great choice. I've done pepper jack, ghouda, provolone, mozerella and baby swiss as well with good success. If you are a bit nercvous about the process, I have found that filling my water pan with ice helps keep the temp down and the cheese won't begin to melt. Give it a try, you'll love it.

I smoked some cheddar, blue, mozzarella, goat, pepper jack, and a bunch of different cheese stuffed olives a couple of weeks back. It's great for the holidays. I don't vacuum seal mine. I just keep it in a sealed container in the fridge and it lasts for several weeks. I used the smoked mozzarella on a grilled pizza last week and everyone raved about it. I would definitely recommend trying it.

I smoked mine for an hour and a half. I used 3 good sized chunks of cherry and six lit briquettes. My grate temps hovered around 80 so I didn't have any problems with it getting too hot. I picked a cool night. Temps were in the 50s.

One question. When doing this are you leaving the bottom vents open, partially open or closed? I think I read somewhere that they are left 100% open, but wanted to check before attempting this.

Thanks, Mark

Two of the bottom vents were completely closed. One just barely open in order to allow some air inflow.

Back