Time for tri-tip!

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
A couple of months ago I drove over to the La Crosse, WI area to pick up a grill and stopped in Holmen at the Holmen Locker & Meat Market on my way home. Much to my surprise and joy, they had several tri-tips in the freezer case so I grabbed the one that looked the best, and grilled it a few weeks later.

TriTipHolmenLocker20200927_1.jpg

TriTipHolmenLocker20200927_2.jpg

TriTipHolmenLocker20200927_3.jpg

Just plenty of salt and pepper a day ahead of time, nothing more.

TriTipHolmenLocker20200927_4.jpg

I don't have a Santa Maria-style grill but I do have a couple of oak trees in the yard, and they supplied plenty of wood for the fire. I flipped it every 5 minutes until it was done although I can't remember what temperature it was when I took it off the fire, and I'm sure you're all wondering how my thermometer connects to my phone...

TriTipHolmenLocker20200927_5.jpg

Submitted for your approval...in The Tri-tip Zone. It was delicious!

TriTipHolmenLocker20200927_6.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking cook on that tri-tip Brad! I am lucky to have a market near my house that has them all the time, but they're usually < 2 lbs each. Yours was a monster compared to the ones I cook!

Looks great, I usually go with the sirloin cap......similar from my perspective they tend to be bigger thou.
End results look similar too they tend to be a medium to medium rare in looks but the plate gets covered in blood.
The Mrs. has second thoughts on eating it until that first bite, then the talking stops.
I believe and I could be wrong the sirloin tip cut into steaks is a Brazilian treat called picanha steak.
If you have had one of these then you would know not to be afraid to buy a sirloin cap.
It's bigger like I said but reverse sear with a touch of hickory is what you are looking for.
Leaves extras for work sammies.
Great job there too, thumbs up.

LOL - my wife does the same, I've stopped asking permission to cook my way and it's working out just fine ;)
Yeah I have just even got to the point where I pretty much don't even ask what she would like me to cook. She doesn't interfere ever, sometimes I just give her the choice between 2 meals I have the stuff for. Like this weekend I said to her Smoked Sirloin cap wit mashed potatoes or Smoked ribs and a smoked mac n cheese. I am hoping for the ribs but it doesn't really matter to me. It's going to be cold out too up here, like around the freezing mark. I guess I am about to learn any new tricks dealing with the cold weather and how the grill reacts.

Looks Tasty! When I first read your post I missed the "later" at the end of your sentence. Thought wow, never had a tri tip grilled for a few weeks! :ROFLMAO:

Great TT Brad, cooked perfectly. Barb and I love TT but unfortunately it's one of the unicorns around here, but I grab them when I see them.

Back