Time for Rehab - WSM 18.5 from July 2006

Steve Kirks

Hello everyone!

I've sadly been a non-contributing reader since 2006, relying on the site to help me get the most out of the WSM while impressing friends and family for years. I bought my 18.5" WSM in July of 2006 and used it often until about 2011 when I got my first gas grill, a deeply discounted Genesis with a side burner. Fast forward to 2020 and it's time to rehab everything, starting with the smoker. I thought I might pop up here and grab some advice.

I started reading through the threads and searched for some obvious answers to common problems. I'm going to drill out the rivets and replace with bolts and nylon lock nuts. I'll also replace all of the inside hardware with new that isn't rusty and weak. The original cover is shot so that's getting a replacement, along with three new grates and water pan.

All of that said, the pile of parts could be nearly what a new smoker might cost. Doing the replacements probably falls into the category of "the journey is worth the reward" but does a new WSM offer more value than repairing the old one? I'll list the replacements below and I'd love some suggestions on Weber or other substitutes.

Needed fixes:

* All vent rivets drilled out, replaced with bolts
* All nut/bolts for legs and inside brackets need to be replaced
* All three grates need replaced
* Water pan has three pin holes and one hole size of pencil eraser - replace
* Door knob needs new fastener

Good things:

* Charcoal ring is fine
* All three sections in good repair, in round, fit well together

Hello everyone!

I've sadly been a non-contributing reader since 2006, relying on the site to help me get the most out of the WSM while impressing friends and family for years. I bought my 18.5" WSM in July of 2006 and used it often until about 2011 when I got my first gas grill, a deeply discounted Genesis with a side burner. Fast forward to 2020 and it's time to rehab everything, starting with the smoker. I thought I might pop up here and grab some advice.

I started reading through the threads and searched for some obvious answers to common problems. I'm going to drill out the rivets and replace with bolts and nylon lock nuts. I'll also replace all of the inside hardware with new that isn't rusty and weak. The original cover is shot so that's getting a replacement, along with three new grates and water pan.

All of that said, the pile of parts could be nearly what a new smoker might cost. Doing the replacements probably falls into the category of "the journey is worth the reward" but does a new WSM offer more value than repairing the old one? I'll list the replacements below and I'd love some suggestions on Weber or other substitutes.

Needed fixes:

* All vent rivets drilled out, replaced with bolts
* All nut/bolts for legs and inside brackets need to be replaced
* All three grates need replaced
* Water pan has three pin holes and one hole size of pencil eraser - replace
* Door knob needs new fastener

Good things:

* Charcoal ring is fine
* All three sections in good repair, in round, fit well together
I would repair it if it was mine. Grill straps are not expensive. I’d get a Brinkmann pan from eBay. Are you going to use the lower cooking grate? I’d check with Weber to see if you can get the fastener for the door.

In your situation I would rehab, with the following conditions: new stainless steel top grate (since it gets the vast majority of use), stop using water in the water pan so no need to replace (just foil it to catch the grease), and get a better cover than the Weber one (check out the covers from Classic Accessories). The door fastener was a poor design from the start, so I'd either fabricate something better, or I might consider one of the aftermarket replacement doors (although I consider them overpriced and unnecessary if you have a functional original door). Stainless steel nuts and bolts, so you don't have to replace them again. And finally, I'd probably spring for some nice wood handles, just because. :)

In your situation I would rehab, with the following conditions: new stainless steel top grate (since it gets the vast majority of use), stop using water in the water pan so no need to replace (just foil it to catch the grease), and get a better cover than the Weber one (check out the covers from Classic Accessories). The door fastener was a poor design from the start, so I'd either fabricate something better, or I might consider one of the aftermarket replacement doors (although I consider them overpriced and unnecessary if you have a functional original door). Stainless steel nuts and bolts, so you don't have to replace them again. And finally, I'd probably spring for some nice wood handles, just because. :)

Thanks for the notes here. I have some salvaged redwood from our house siding replacements over the years. I can use that for the handle and maybe a cook table. The rest makes a lot of sense and easy to replace a little at a time.

I would repair it if it was mine. Grill straps are not expensive. I’d get a Brinkmann pan from eBay. Are you going to use the lower cooking grate? I’d check with Weber to see if you can get the fastener for the door.

Using the lower cooking grate was something I've done out of habit, distributing food around as needed. When I use it, I tend to try to fill it but maybe I should experiment with smaller fires and smaller batches of food

Using the lower cooking grate was something I've done out of habit, distributing food around as needed. When I use it, I tend to try to fill it but maybe I should experiment with smaller fires and smaller batches of food
I’ve never used my lower grate because I usually cook 3 butts on the top grate. However, I’m thinking of cooking 4 or 5 butts on Memorial Day. If so, I’ll use both grates for the first time.
What are your thoughts on temps or cooking times on top vs lower cooking grates?
The lower grates are inexpensive

I would agree on the Brinkmann charcoal pan as a replacement for your pre-2009 water pan. You don't want the deep one you'd get from Weber today, IMO.

Weber doesn't sell new door knobs or fasteners, they sell the entire door assembly. You can buy that, or you can go with a third party replacement like the Southco latch. If your current door is serviceable, just clean it up.

You mention drilling out rivets but not replacing the dampers. Why just the rivets? Aesthetics? This is usually done only when a damper needs to be replaced due to being bent out of shape.

I would agree on the Brinkmann charcoal pan as a replacement for your pre-2009 water pan. You don't want the deep one you'd get from Weber today, IMO.

Thanks for the link here. I'll snag one of those. I still like the water option for now...

Weber doesn't sell new door knobs or fasteners, they sell the entire door assembly. You can buy that, or you can go with a third party replacement like the Southco latch. If your current door is serviceable, just clean it up.

I'm pretty sure I can can clean up the knob assembly and get it working OK. I mean, it's fine now, but it needs help to stay latched tight.

You mention drilling out rivets but not replacing the dampers. Why just the rivets? Aesthetics? This is usually done only when a damper needs to be replaced due to being bent out of shape.

All three of the rivets are pretty rusty. One had to get a dose of PB Blaster to get moving! I figured the drill/replace method was a good next step, but I fired it up yesterday for it's first run to shake the dust off. I had used a wire wheel and scouring pads on the grates to get to 'serviceable' and safe enough to use for a cook. The vents worked fine, so maybe I leave them until absolutley necessary.

Back