Time for a new 22” cooking grate... Which one?

Greg in Utah

TVWBB Pro
I’ve always stuck with the standard 22” grate with the flip up sections. I’m wondering if the Gourmet grate from the Master Touch is a worthy upgrade or are there aftermarket options that anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance (y)

There are different opinons, of course, but for me no one that I have seen does it better than Mark Barron of Killa Grilla. He is to Weber kettle grates what "rcplanebuyer" (Dave Santana) is to Weber Genesis grates. I have three sets of his grates, including one for the old style "flat top" 26" for which he is probably the ONLY source.

First thing I ordered before my Performer Deluxe came in, was a KillaGrilla winged grate. The GBS grate is in my old SS Performer. The KillaGrilla grate is top notch.

KillaGrilla makes some pretty beefy stainless steel ones that will likely outlive you and your kettle. They make one with the flip sides, one that flips on one side with a larger flap. And one basic one with no flip ups.

Slow n Sear also sells a grate. Heard good things, but have never seen one in person.

The Weber GBS grate that you mentioned is much better than the standard flip side grate. It's the grate I have on both my 22" kettles. If I was buying a new one I'd buy the KillaGrilla.

Another vote for Killa Grilla. I have them in my WSM 22 and love them.

If you think you will get the GBS accessories, then get the Weber GBS grate. It's heavier duty than the standard 22" grate. The GBS would be tempting if they sold the GBS dutch oven in the US. But Weber doesn't give us the nice stuff!

KillaGrilla is solid and will last a lifetime. I ordered a charcoal grate at like 4 am this morning (couldn't sleep) and got the shipping notification around 8 a.m.

For the last couple of years I have been getting excellent grilling results using the "SS SlowNSear Easy Spin Grate" on a Weber Mastertouch and Weber Performer Deluxe Grills.

Back